Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 6.5 Creedmoor vs .260 Rem  (Read 9006 times)

Offline 243HogHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
6.5 Creedmoor vs .260 Rem
« on: 03:00 PM, 03/23/11 »
  • What are your thoughts on these two cartridges? Is there any real advantage with the creedmoor? I will reload for both of them so i'm not worried about the price or availability of factory ammo. I did not have much time too look at both of the rounds but with the .260 launching a 139gr scenar with a BC of .615 at around 2900 fps, and the availability of lapua brass it sounds like this is going to be hard to beat. ???

Offline 15Tango

• Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 03:47 PM, 03/23/11 »
  • They're pretty much identical in terms of performance, Creed's a tad more efficient especially at mag length. Lapua's 260 brass is perfect for either cartridge. You can push a 140 over 2900 in either cartridge, with R17 you can push them past 3000 with a long barrel.
    Selling gun gear off to buy camera equipment.

Offline brian427cobra

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 06:02 PM, 03/23/11 »
  • I shoot a Surgeon Action Bartlein 1-8 260Rem in sniper matches, I chose 260 over 6.5x47 and 6.5 CM because of single source of brass turns me off, I can buy 243 260 and 7-08 brass and I'm good to go, my chamber started life with a 139 Scenar seated at 2.150 Ojive length at the lands, now after 1700 rounds I'm at 2.223 Ojive length, I don't push my loads very hard, 139's at 2800 work great, I expect to set back my barrel around 2500 rounds.

Offline bowslngr

• Trade Count: (+2)
    « Reply #3 on: 06:48 AM, 03/24/11 »
  • I shoot a Surgeon Action Bartlein 1-8 260Rem in sniper matches, I chose 260 over 6.5x47 and 6.5 CM because of single source of brass turns me off, I can buy 243 260 and 7-08 brass and I'm good to go, my chamber started life with a 139 Scenar seated at 2.150 Ojive length at the lands, now after 1700 rounds I'm at 2.223 Ojive length, I don't push my loads very hard, 139's at 2800 work great, I expect to set back my barrel around 2500 rounds.

and you can't use 243, 260 or 7mm-08 brass for 6.5 CM?

Offline 15Tango

• Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 08:55 AM, 03/24/11 »
    and you can't use 243, 260 or 7mm-08 brass for 6.5 CM?

Yes, you can. Lube as normal, run it through a Creedmoor FLS die, trim and neck turn and you're done. You can also use 300 Savage or 22-250 brass if you want, you won't be trimming it though.

Here's a Creedmoor made from 7MM-08 brass in just that manner. This case hasn't been fired yet and it's nearly 100% formed.
    « Last Edit: 09:06 AM, 03/24/11 by 15Tango »

Offline brian427cobra

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 09:05 AM, 03/24/11 »
  • No I'm saying I use 243 260 and 7-08 brass in my 260, FL size any of them and there ready to load n fire form, I think the 6.5 CM is a great round, it's a more effient round than a 260, but not more accurite, I leave half my brass on the ground at sniper matches, I'm not about to put all the work into my brass to leave it in the grass

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 10:38 AM, 03/24/11 »
  • Dittos, Brian. After fireforming 1200+ Dashers, making 1200+pcs. of 6 HAGAR brass for an AR15, plus FF'ing a bunch of 6XC from 22-250 and FF'ing 6.5x55AI, a cartridge that uses readily available brass from several suppliers has strong appeal - even more so when you're shooting matches where you can't retrieve all your fired cases.

However, guess I'm a glutton for punishment, as I've chambered an AR10 bbl. for a slightly improved version of the 7mm-08 (.065" longer body & 30* shoulder), and more to the point of this thread, am getting ready to do another AR10 bbl. in a 6.5mm-08 with the same mods as the 7mm version.

I'm thinking a bolt rifle chambered for this 6.5mm ctg. would be a good performer, but am mostly concerned with how deep 139/142gr. bullets will have to be seated to feed through AICS mags. That's one of the big attractions of the 6.5x47, since charges of RL17 are very lightly compressed with the heavies seated to feed through AICS mags, yet this smaller ctg. gives very respectable performance with 130/140gr. bullets. Guess the same could be said for the 6.5 Creedmoor, but how good is Hornady brass?
    Regards,
    Dennis

Offline 15Tango

• Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 11:08 AM, 03/24/11 »
    Guess the same could be said for the 6.5 Creedmoor, but how good is Hornady brass?

It's good in all aspects [but] strength for hot loads; pockets open up.

I like the idea of your 7-08 (sort of) Improved.

Offline bugsplat

• Basic Member
    « Reply #8 on: 11:30 PM, 03/30/11 »
  • I looked at both rounds a year ago and ended up going with the 6.5-284 which unfortunately  i'm now heavily invested in (barrels, dies, brass, load data). I only push my 6.5-284 to 2900 with 140g so its a lot of wasted case capacity. If I had to do it again I'd go with the 260 simply for the brass. Performance wise the 6.5CM and 260 are just about the same. I have seen no clear winner on score cards. My only concern would be the depth you seat the bullet in the 260. Its a little to deep for my taste but if it shoots well my taste means jack.

Offline skeetlee

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+105)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 05:48 AM, 04/02/11 »
  • I am not a huge fan of Hornady brass so i would lean towards the 260rem with lapua brass. Even better yet would be a 260 Ackley improved with Lapua brass. Now that is a cartridge!!! Do a little reading and you will soon be thinking about a 260ackley. You can buy a Hornady Hydraulic form die for the ackley cases now and that is huge. Just my opinion though!! Lee
    Live Long And Shoot Often!!

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.