Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 257 Roberts AI - What can I expect?  (Read 7106 times)

Offline KDX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
257 Roberts AI - What can I expect?
« on: 08:57 PM, 03/18/11 »
  • I decided to build a rifle that would do double duty as a deer rifle and something for Coyotes. I was thinking of punching paper at 300 yards also. I thought of a 25-06 and someone mentioned the .257 Roberts AI and I decided I would try it out as it sounded interesting. I'm using a Savage Model 111 with detachable mag and a Shilen Select Match Grade barrel finished at 24" (1-10 twist light varmint contour). I have a Hogue Overmolded stock (with full length aluminum bedding) on order and have a Sightron SII 6.5-20x50 with mildot waiting on the bench. I also have a Timney trigger waiting here as well. This will be my first center fire bolt gun build and I'm kind of excited. Is anyone familiar with this caliber and willing to comment on what I could expect performance wise and can anyone share some load recipes also? Thanks in advance.
    « Last Edit: 09:04 PM, 03/18/11 by KDX »

Offline RGRobinett

« Reply #1 on: 02:48 PM, 03/19/11 »
  • I decided to build a rifle that would do double duty as a deer rifle and something for Coyotes. I was thinking of punching paper at 300 yards also. I thought of a 25-06 and someone mentioned the .257 Roberts AI and I decided I would try it out as it sounded interesting. I'm using a Savage Model 111 with detachable mag and a Shilen Select Match Grade barrel finished at 24" (1-10 twist light varmint contour). I have a Hogue Overmolded stock (with full length aluminum bedding) on order and have a Sightron SII 6.5-20x50 with mildot waiting on the bench. I also have a Timney trigger waiting here as well. This will be my first center fire bolt gun build and I'm kind of excited. Is anyone familiar with this caliber and willing to comment on what I could expect performance wise and can anyone share some load recipes also? Thanks in advance.

I will recommend that, although your stock features a 'full length' aluminum bedding block, to get all the rig has to offer, you epoxy-bed the action to the block

I have had .257 Ackley Imps.  since the mid-1970s - all have been great hunting rifles; especially for coyotes, pronghorns, and mule deer. I will not offer up and specific load data, but will say that, with this case capacity and expansion ratio, if you want velocity, RL-17 is WAY ahead of anything else I've tried. My current .257 Ack. (PacNor 1:10" twist, #3 contour, 23" long) runs 110 Gr. BTs at 3333 FPS - this without a symptom of pressure - and will AGG just under 0.6" for three-shot groups at 100Yd. My 'go to' load, prior to RL-17, has been a case-full of H-4831, driving 110 Gr. bullets at 3070 FPS, and just under .5 MOA for 3-shot groups. I've had a couple of 'better' barrels, but solid sub .6 MOA has killed everything I've shot at. :) In the end, even with the old loads, it's about equal to a 25/06 - just better lookin'! You'll love it! ;) RG

« Last Edit: 07:21 AM, 04/05/11 by RGRobinett »

Offline ar15topgun

• Trade Count: (+15)
    « Reply #2 on: 08:08 PM, 03/19/11 »
  • I've been shooting one since the mid 80's and I love this round. Very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.  Brass last forever also.

Offline KDX

• Basic Member
    « Reply #3 on: 02:23 PM, 04/03/11 »
  • Thanks for the replys. I assume the recoil will be negligible and I should be able to spot my hits if I'm out sniping gophers?

Offline EddieHarren

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+62)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 03:36 PM, 04/03/11 »
  • "....I should be able to spot my hits....."

I wouldn't count on that, unless you are going to have a brake installed.
    NRA Patron Member

Offline 40X Guy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+187)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 05:25 PM, 04/03/11 »
  • Nosler is releasing .257 Roberts brass I believe this month, may be a way to save you some work and time on case prep. Excellent cartridge.

Frank

Offline KDX

• Basic Member
    « Reply #6 on: 01:13 AM, 04/04/11 »
  • "....I should be able to spot my hits....."

I wouldn't count on that, unless you are going to have a brake installed.

Darn. It's going to be a toss up deciding on recoil vs loudness. Does anyone make a break with the ports at a 45 degree (or less) forward angle to the bore? I realize it would be less effective, but it shouldn't be as loud.

Offline Larryh128

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 08:35 AM, 04/04/11 »
  • If you're threading a barrel, thread a brake & make it the way you want. Not that difficult. You'll love the 257 Ackley. Excellent round.

Offline SongdogHunter

• Trade Count: (+6)
    « Reply #8 on: 09:22 AM, 04/04/11 »
  • get a box of R. Robinetts 110 grain bullets you will not be sorry!

I shoot a .257Ackley and .257 x 47 Lapua  with these and they are excellent.

SDH

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 12:58 AM, 04/05/11 »
  • KDX,
    My son has a .257AI, my best friend gave it to him on his 9th birthday, he turns 17 next month. He has shot hundreds of ground hogs, eight mule deer, at least a hundred coyotes, several black bears and several elk, and lots of water jugs. Its a old Ruger with the rear tang saftey its got a timmney trigger, factory stock and don't know the barrel make but it will shoot 75 grain v-max under 1/2" and 117 and 120 grain bullets 1/2 to 3/4 " It was used when we got it from Dave and it was used when he got it, I don't have any idea how many are down the tube but it has to be over a couple thousand and accuracy hasn't seemed to change and the cases last nearly forever. It is too light weight to see impacts regularly, but my son seems to know where to put the cross hairs because 0-400 yards ground hogs to deer are dead usually on the first shot. I have a 25-06, it probably out shoots it a little but brass life isn't even close to .257AI and when my or my sons barrel goes south we will re barrel in .257AI .
    Wayne.
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline Preacher

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+106)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #10 on: 09:42 AM, 04/05/11 »
  • One thing for sure that you can expect is that every thing hit with it will die....
    Hell of a cartridge for it's size....
    Age is a high price to pay for maturity.

Offline Ackman

• Trade Count: (-2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 02:03 PM, 04/05/11 »
  • My 257AI isn't for deer or coyotes.....it's a heavy beast of a rockchuck gun with straight 28" barrel and wide benchrest stock.  Fireforming loads were 85/87gr bullets at 3775 with W760 powder.  It's been several years since I shot that thing and don't remember what formed cases are doing.  Chucks get completely messed up.  Brass is mostly Frontier (Hornady), some Winchester.  Chamber has 0 freebore, .286"nk and everything's neckturned.  This cartridge has recoil and without a brake there'll be muzzle rise.  You won't see hits through the scope.   My rifle weighs over 20# and is braked.....the gun goes boom and just sits there, the muzzle hardly moves.   

« Last Edit: 02:11 PM, 04/05/11 by Ackman »

Offline Ackman

• Trade Count: (-2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #12 on: 02:09 PM, 04/05/11 »
  • Thanks for the replys. I assume the recoil will be negligible and I should be able to spot my hits if I'm out sniping gophers?

Don't assume that.  Recoil with this cartridge isn't negligible and you won't see hits on gophers. 

Offline KevinThomas

• Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 10:08 AM, 04/06/11 »
  • Never been much of an Ackley Improved fan, since the majority of them don't really offer that much more performance than their parent cartridges. The 257 Roberts is an exception to that rule. Significant body taper and sloping shoulders offer a dramatic increase in capacity when blown out, and the 257 steps up to a whole 'nother level of performance. Won't turn it into a 25-06, but it won't lag that far behind it, either. Great round, excellent choice!
    Kevin Thomas
    Lapua USA

Offline RJinTexas

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+48)
    • Ace Member
    • site $$ contributor
    « Reply #14 on: 12:26 PM, 04/06/11 »
  • The two cartridges that benefit the most from being Ackley Improved are the 6mm Rem and the 257 Bob.
    You'll find they're also a great deer cartridges. Please do let us know how your new 257AI shoots.

RJ

Prairiedog Eradication Through Assassination just doing my part to support P.E.T.A.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.