Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 7x 57 Mauser?  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Civilian Sniper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
7x 57 Mauser?
« on: 11:06 AM, 03/18/11 »
  • My wifes grand father just bought me an 1895 Chilean 7x57 mauser as a project gun but I don't know anything about this action or caliber any info would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks,
    Spread My Work Ethic Not My Wealth

Offline Larryh128

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    • Ace Member
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #1 on: 11:32 AM, 03/18/11 »
  • The 95 is a 2 lug bolt meaning that it doesn't have the addition of the 3rd safety lug at the rear of the bolt. If everything is OK, meaning not severely pitted below the wood and headspace is OK, it's a serviceable rifle,BUT it is a low pressure action. Meaning it is not designed for high intensity rounds that are generating 55-60,000 PSI. Operating range for a 95 is in the 40,000 PSI range. 7 x 57 is a great hunting round
    and US loaded rounds will not exceed the normal safe operating pressures. Imported rounds tend to be significantly higher pressure loads. Norma for one. I personally would have it checked for headspace before getting too far along. If you want to change to a higher intensity round, you need to look at a 98 action.

Offline Civilian Sniper

• Basic Member
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #2 on: 01:37 AM, 03/20/11 »
  • Thanks for the info I had heard about the low pressure action. So how accurate is the 7 x 57 round in comparison to say the other 7mm's? also if I was to re barrel it what would be some good calibers that are considered low pressure  that it cod be chambers to?

Offline Bulseyetom

• Trade Count: (+19)
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #3 on: 12:42 PM, 03/20/11 »
  • I still shoot a Model 93 Mauser that I first started hunting with in 1962.  I always use the starting loads for a maximum charge.  This rifle likes heavier bullets and shoots 160 grain bullets just over 1 1/4" for 3 shoots at 100 yards.  Most 140 grain bullets shoot around 2".  That is still minute of deer for a rifle 118 years old with a military stock not bedded since 1955 when my dad started shooting it!  I can't say those old Mauser actions compare to a new Model 700 but a 7x57 shooting a 160 grain bullet at 2500 fps will kill anything I will ever hunt!  I have seen 95 Mausers rebarreled to 308's but I would think that would be a risky move.  Modern 7x57's will almost match the 270 and 280 but don't try those velocities with the 2 lug Mausers.  Have fun shooting a caliber that has served me well off and on for 50 years.  If the truth were known, I probably could have hunted with just that one rifle and never looked back.    ;D Tom

Offline normmatzen

• Trade Count: (+1)
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #4 on: 02:23 PM, 03/20/11 »
  • Actually, the '95 mauser was considered the best of the "small ring" mausers.  You have a keeper.

I have a rifle I am in the process of building which is a BRNO VX24 action with a 7X57 military barrel cut down to 24".. I put the barrelled action into the stock with-out bedding or finishing to see if it was worth completing.  Shot 1 1/2 minute !!

Also, the american manufacturers of ammunition are really careful in their loadings for 7X57.  The European specs for these rifles/cartrudge are somewhat heavier loaded than the American loads.  Do the research and make your own decision.  Problems with the '93/'95 actions are more in theory than in practice.  I have a well worn '93 Spanish Mauser that is my "loaner" gun and I use American loading rules because it kills quite well as it is, and it is pretty "tired!"

The European barrels are made for .285 bullets while we Americans use .284. 
    Norm

Offline Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #5 on: 03:51 PM, 03/20/11 »
  • The original sporting load for the 7X57mm was a 175gn RNSP at only 2,300 fps and that from 29.3" military rifle barrels. It was (still is) a phenomenal killer of almost any soft-skinned animal and was widely used in Africa for much of the 20th century by settlers and farmers.

The military load was a 173gn FMJRN at the same MV from Long-Tom rifle barrels and it was this cartridge that the Spanish used to give you (American) guys a bloody nose in the Spanish-American war, and which the Boer Kommandos used to give us (Brits) an even bloodier nose in the South African war of 1898-1902. This was with Spanish M1893 long rifles and 1895 carbines. The Chilean '95 will have a lot in common with the latter, and I presume is German made under contract (by DWM or its predecessor Ludwig Loewe)? These contract Mausers were all very well made, to a standard that would cost a fortune today given the large amount of hand-fitting and huge number of skilled machining operations. If the rifle is in good condition, I wouldn't change it from its original military specification one bit, but that's me as I used to collect and shoot these sorts of rifles before I caught the precision shooting bug.

I had a DWM M1895 Boer long rifle many years back with straight out bolt handle, just like the Spanish '93s that were used on San Juan Hill against Teddy Roosevelt. It was great shooter despite a mismatched bolt and looking like a POS. It came from the cadet  armoury of one of the great English Public (ie private, fee-paying) schools and no doubt came back to Britain as a souvenir of the Boer War.

I loaded the one charge of 44gn Viht N160 behind everything - 139gn Hornady BTSP, 154gn something I forget and various 170-175gn RN/PSP bullets - all mild charges. A similar load of IMR or H4831sc will give similar results. QuickLOAD says 44gn N160 behind a 170gn Sierra SPRN produces around 37,000 psi, same load of H4831sc even less and the IMR version around 45,000 psi. These rifles are usually throated on the long side, so really work best with long heavy bullets in the 160-175gn weight range.

Try it in 7X57 first before considering rebarrelling. If you want a .308W, buy a Remy 700 instead!

Laurie,
    York, England

Offline 2506

• Ace Member
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #6 on: 05:52 PM, 03/21/11 »
  • I built a rifle for one of my friends that had a 95 Mauser barreled action that his dad gave him when he was a youngster. His dad used the rifle for deer and someone broke into his house and stole it and was leaving the house when his dad pulled into the driveway. The robber threw the rifle down and ran away. The stock broke into so the dad just bought himself a new Rem rifle. My friend remembered he had the old action about 20 years later and brought it to me to see what I thought. The barrel had been cut back to 22" and had been done correct. The bore looked like it was new. It had new open sights put on it and the whole thing had a really good HOT BLUE done to it. I took it and drilled and tapped the action for a Leupold one piece mount milling the clip guide down. I cut the bolt handle off and made a new one on the lathe and welded it on. I made a single stage adjustable trigger out of the original double stage military trigger and got it to break crisp at 3 lb. I found a composite stock and glassed the action into it. I put a world class Tasco variable I think it was a 3 -12X40 scope I had laying around on it. I got some new Rem cases and just to try it out picked 45 grs IMR 4350 with some Hornady 154 gr SP bullets loaded to magazine length. I bore sighted it and shot it at 25 yards and dialed from where I aimed to where the bullet struck then moved to 100 yards. I fired two shots to see if it would group before I went to dialing. It cut bullet holes. I dialed to where I wanted the zero and shot a 5 shot group SLOWLY letting it cool between shots. I had a raged hole group on the thin side of 1/2" outside to outside. I tried to purchase that rifle from my friend but he would not sale. He has killed a good number of critters from groundhogs up to deer with that rifle and load over the past 15 years. I did not have a chrno back then but taking a SWAG probably going around 2500 fps. Put that bullet where it is supposed to go and it will kill most anything in North America. Bell used the 7mm Mauser to kill elephant and most everything else in Africa with the 170 FMJ. He was a good shot and brain shot everything though. 

Offline Civilian Sniper

• Basic Member
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #7 on: 11:43 AM, 03/22/11 »
  • thanks for all the great information, now i cant wait to get it (California 10 day wait period) and start tinkering. i was only considering the re barrel if the barrel was in too bad of shape but i would love to keep it the original 7mm if i can. What kind of scope mount can you put on a 95 action a 2 piece or 1 piece and if any one from Utah out there is there any good gunsmiths you recommend for this ?

Offline Larryh128

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    • Ace Member
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #8 on: 11:51 AM, 03/22/11 »
  • 7 x 57 is a truly great round and very capable of exceptional accuracy. Bell killed a bunch of elephants with one so it will tackle the big stuff with the correct pills. Elelphants? Not so much. It was also known in the sporting world as a 275 Rigby.

Offline 2506

• Ace Member
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #9 on: 07:42 AM, 03/23/11 »
  • You will have to have the action drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Leupold makes a one piece mount for the 95 Mauser that you do not have to mill the charger notch hump off the action. Leupold type mounts are really the best for use on these old rifles that you have to drill and tap because if you get your holes a little bit off dead center you have the windage screws on the mount to adjust for this.

Offline TonyR

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+55)
    • Ace Member
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #10 on: 07:50 AM, 03/23/11 »
  • My wifes grand father just bought me an 1895 Chilean 7x57 mauser as a project gun but I don't know anything about this action or caliber any info would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks,
    I just went through a bunch of Mauser questions myself after a friend gave me a couple of barreled actions.  Here is a link to a company in Utah that makes parts for Mausers including Blackburn triggers.  I am sure they will have the names of gunsmiths that work on them.

http://cncspecialtyproducts.com/Home_Page.html

Also, I found the people on Mauser Central forum very knowledgable and help.  Same sort of place as this forum.

http://www.mausercentral.com/forum/index.php

Have fun and good luck with your project.
    TonyR

Consistent long range accuracy is the sum of many things, some large and some small.

Offline Civilian Sniper

• Basic Member
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #11 on: 03:10 PM, 03/27/11 »
  • i cant seem to find a model 95 scope base but i did find a 96 1 piece  will that work for a 95 action?

Offline K22

• Ace Member
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #12 on: 09:48 PM, 03/27/11 »
  • One of the best cartridges ever developed, just ask Larry Potterfield at Midway USA.

Offline 2506

• Ace Member
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #13 on: 07:07 AM, 03/28/11 »
  • Yes the 96 Mauser base will work on the 95. They are the same size action.

Offline Outrider27

• Site $$ Contributor
    7x 57 Mauser?
    « Reply #14 on: 11:34 PM, 03/29/11 »
  • You'll probably find the 7mm Mauser a really useful, versatile cartridge for all but the largest north American game. If, in the end, you need to rebarrel it, one of the prettiest rifles I ever saw was a rebarrelled, restocked '95 Mauser built as a mountain rifle in .257 Roberts. The pressure range for that cartridge is (in non-+p loads) right where you want to be for the '95 action.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.