Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 30 BR and Varget  (Read 2859 times)

Offline MGYSGT

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+16)
30 BR and Varget
« on: 05:25 PM, 03/15/11 »
  • Just got my 30 BR back from smith.  Lots of loads for H4198, but only find Varget in Serria book. The data seems a little wild. They show loads for 110's to 155's and above, in the pages for the 30 BR. I plan on 110's to 125's at the most. My chamber is .330 and neck turned to 328.5 (loaded with projectile). What do you have for Varget loads???

Thanks
    Tom

Offline RonAKA

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    30 BR and Varget
    « Reply #1 on: 06:27 PM, 03/15/11 »
  • A friend shoots one. He seems to prefer faster powders VV N130, N133, & Benchmark.
    "I have not failed 10,000 times. I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Outdoorsman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    30 BR and Varget
    « Reply #2 on: 07:51 PM, 03/15/11 »
  • Just got my 30 BR back from smith. I plan on 110's to 125's at the most. My chamber is .330 and neck turned to 328.5 (loaded with projectile). What do you have for Varget loads?

Forget Varget.

Turn to .3280 for the .330 Neck and shoot Hodgdon 4198 with the loads and bullets provided on this site to get the most out of your 30BR: http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/30br/ There's a wealth of information here provided by the 30BR's founding fathers and 30BR Shooters-of-the-Year.

Page down to the 30BR load map.

You can get the BIB bullets here: http://www.bibullets.com/ and the Cheek's here: http://www.rcheek.com/page2.shtml in your grain range.

Again, use the load map.

Match the bullet's Ogive to your rifle's Throat Angle by using the chart on this page: http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/bullets_ballastics/throat_angles.htm

What's your rifle's throat angle?

Offline mkihne

• Basic Member
    30 BR and Varget
    « Reply #3 on: 09:24 PM, 03/15/11 »
  • You will also probably like a significant jam and maybe up to 4 thou of neck tension. Outdoorsman has you covered on everything else. By the way, has anyone mentioned you should use H4198?  ;D

To shoot bullets under 125gr, your twist should be at least 1:15 and for lighter bullets 1:17 to 1:18 may be better. Dave's link above will give you all you need to know. Most chambers are also minimal to no freebore for bullets and jackets in that weight range.
    « Last Edit: 09:44 PM, 03/15/11 by mkihne »

Offline P1ZombieKiller

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+84)
    • Ace Member
      • P1 Zombie Killer
    30 BR and Varget
    « Reply #4 on: 09:32 PM, 03/15/11 »

• You never said what twist you were using. Mine is an 1:18 and I too run a .330 neck. My brass is turned to .010 so that my loaded rounds are .3282 - .3284 and I actually have them just touching the lands. I went to a .326 bushing die last year right before the IBS state match here in Texas, and that was the trick I needed. Place just enough H-4198 in your case to push that bullet right under 3000 fps, and sit back and enjoy the show. It is one awesome shooting machine. If you do your part, the rifle will do it's part.
    Wes Johnson

www.P1ZK.com

Offline MGYSGT

• Site $$ Contributor
    30 BR and Varget
    « Reply #5 on: 10:08 AM, 03/16/11 »
  • Thanks for the info.  I shall heed those suggestions.  I guess I need to get down to the local shop and pick up some H4198.  My barrel is a 1:17 Krieger. I never asked what the throat angle is. Guess I better do that.  .004 neck tension? OK I'll try some in that too.  This is why I come to this site, tons of knowledge.

Thanks again
    Tom

Offline Outdoorsman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    30 BR and Varget
    « Reply #6 on: 10:43 AM, 03/16/11 »
  • Thanks for the info.  I shall heed those suggestions.  I guess I need to get down to the local shop and pick up some H4198. 

There's one other item everyone neglected to mention ... PICK UP A GOOD SET OF WIND FLAGS and spend plenty of time shooting over them.

Here's a good place to start browsing: http://www.brflags.com/

Also, you might call Smiley Hensley at 540-298-8368. Tony Boyer has been winning with Smiley's flags for years. 

Offline MGYSGT

• Site $$ Contributor
    30 BR and Varget
    « Reply #7 on: 06:21 PM, 03/16/11 »
  • OK, I recut my necks. Went to the Bibs site and the tabs indicated no bullets in stock. Went to the local gun shop and guess what, no H4198.  They had IMR 4198, but comparing load data for cartridges, they really aren't the same. Will order a .325/.324 neck busing. I only have a .326 now. I do have some 4895 and will use that to fireform the cases.  Dave, I appreciate the offer of bullets to test. Nothing I dislike more that dropping $35 on a box of projectiles and find out it looks like a shotgun pattern downrange. I will take you up on that offer.  I will look at some of the other projectile manufacturing folks listed.

Again, thanks

Tom

Offline AlNyhus

• Trade Count: (+9)
    • Ace Member
    30 BR and Varget
    « Reply #8 on: 07:38 PM, 03/16/11 »
  • OK, I recut my necks. Went to the Bibs site and the tabs indicated no bullets in stock.

Give Randy a call on delivery times and what he may have on hand. -Al

Offline Outdoorsman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    30 BR and Varget
    « Reply #9 on: 11:25 AM, 03/17/11 »
  • OK, I recut my necks. Went to the Bibs site and the tabs indicated no bullets in stock. Went to the local gun shop and guess what, no H4198.  They had IMR 4198, but comparing load data for cartridges, they really aren't the same. Will order a .325/.324 neck busing. I only have a .326 now. I do have some 4895 and will use that to fireform the cases.  Dave, I appreciate the offer of bullets to test. Nothing I dislike more that dropping $35 on a box of projectiles and find out it looks like a shotgun pattern downrange. I will take you up on that offer.  I will look at some of the other projectile manufacturing folks listed.

I just spent twenty minutes on the phone with my friend Ronnie Cheek.

He is only running TWO WEEKS behind on his orders.

Last November he decided to put in a concerted effort to produce more because he was running behind almost a year, plus he lost about a third of his foreign business due to Homeland Security requirements. As a result he was able to put bullets on the shelf before this year's season began. 

If you need bullets for your 30BR give him a call: http://www.rcheek.com/

There's plenty of H-4198 here, one of our prime sources with good prices. I recommend the 8 lb jug: http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Offline tenring

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+18)
    • Ace Member
    30 BR and Varget
    « Reply #10 on: 07:19 PM, 03/18/11 »
  • I just received an order of Ronnie's 118's in 2 weeks. 

Offline savet06

30 BR and Varget
    « Reply #11 on: 07:24 PM, 03/18/11 »
  • and if you decide to give Randy a call, get a pen and paper ready because you WILL learn something.  Every one of my conversations with him gets me closer to being more of a benchrest shooter, and helps me realize how little I actually know about accuracy.
    He is a good man.
    Mike

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.