Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Reamer lube recomendations?  (Read 2160 times)

Offline lazyeiger

• Trade Count: (+1)
Reamer lube recomendations?
« on: 08:12 PM, 03/13/11 »
  • Does anyone have a recomendation for a lube to use when reaming a chamber?
     Does the type of lube have any effect on reamer chatter?

Thanks  Jon

Offline TRECustom

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 10:29 PM, 03/13/11 »
  • I have read some strong recommendations for several different coolant/cutting oils for chambering. I have tried a couple, and I use the Ridgid Pipe Threading oil. (Black magic) It's a little smelly, and also smokes quite a bit when turning and facing, but works good when chambering. I don't know if the cutting fluid has an effect on reamer chatter, but it makes sense that it would. Maybe a 'smith or a machinist will reply.

Tom
    Pistols are O.K. to fight your way to a rifle.
    Life Member Texas State Rifle Assoc
    Endowment Life Member NRA

Offline Larryh128

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 06:46 PM, 03/15/11 »
  • There are quite a few good cutting fluids that work well when chambering. On stainless, I use Cool Tool because it just works great on stainless. Chrome moly, I've also used Tap Magic with good results. The stuff that really used to work great is now taboo with the EPA. Chatter is usually a spindle speed issue. A lot of the new reamers & stainless barrels like a little higher RPM than years ago so if you're seeing chatter try a little more speed 1st along with lots of cutting fluid.

Offline sailhertoo

« Reply #3 on: 12:06 AM, 03/16/11 »
  • I think Dave at PT&G  recommends Casterol cutting fluid mixed with Moly D.

I don't know what Moly D is.

Offline Larryh128

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 12:09 PM, 03/16/11 »
  • Moly-----  Disulfide. Can't spell Moly. Same stuff that you coat bullets & barrels with.

Online SDWhirlwind

• Trade Count: (+17)
    « Reply #5 on: 01:12 PM, 03/16/11 »
  • Unless Dave Kiff has changed his mind or something he used to recommend Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid with his reamers and higher rpms than used yrs ago with his reamers. I have had great luck with this using his reamers and JGS reamers at 100+rpm. Have also used Tap Magic and ended up with nice finishes. Yer mileage may vary.

Respectfully,
    Dennis

Offline sailhertoo

« Reply #6 on: 04:49 PM, 03/16/11 »
  • Unless Dave Kiff has changed his mind or something he used to recommend Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid with his reamers and higher rpms than used yrs ago with his reamers. I have had great luck with this using his reamers and JGS reamers at 100+rpm. Have also used Tap Magic and ended up with nice finishes. Yer mileage may vary.

Respectfully,
    Dennis

Whoa! I've been reaming at 190 rpm!

Online SDWhirlwind

• Trade Count: (+17)
    « Reply #7 on: 08:43 PM, 03/16/11 »
  • My 100+rpm is not the maximum limit but moreso in our conversation the minimum! IIRC his reamers are M7 steel? Our conversation with less RPM was in regards to the older types of material used for reamers when many smiths cut @ 50-70rpm or so. IIRC he stated his reamers worked best on the down side of 200rpm? Was several yrs ago and I am getting older and more forgetfull. Would have to look but think the gear I chamber on with my one lathe  is around my comfort level of 120, I am comfortable there and my outcome very satisfactory for me. Also I don't use a flush system which would allow considerably higher RPM's.  Many ways to skin a cat though as they say. Just what I do and surely not the only way.
    « Last Edit: 08:45 PM, 03/16/11 by SDWhirlwind »

Offline Hal

Reamer lube recommendations?
    « Reply #8 on: 12:26 PM, 03/17/11 »
  • There is a guy that sells some chambering cutting oil called VIPER VENOM. He has a video on Utube shoing how well it sticks to the work.
    I haven't heard back any reports on how well it worked.

Hal

Offline TRECustom

• Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 10:05 PM, 03/17/11 »
  • Mr. Manson says he runs his reamers fast. My memory isn't good enough to quote those speeds though. Like SDWhirlwind, my comfort zone tops out at about 100 rpm. I did ream a .270 Win with a Manson reamer at 160 rpm. Several things come to mind concerning reaming rpm. I knew a top benchrest rifle builder who used 44 rpm only. No more, no less, but I have had to try different rpm's to avoid chatter. 100 rpm has worked out consistantly for me. I don't have a pressure flush system either, and worry about higher speeds dulling the reamer because of higher surface speed. Seems to me that big reamers like .338 x .378 would also have to be run slower than little ones because of the higher surface speed. Don't know that for sure, but it makes sense.

I don't know how many ways there are to stop a reamer from chattering once it has started, but the cleaning patch has worked for me twice with 2 different reamers that chattered. One chattered at 40 rpm, and the other at 63 rpm. Changing speeds didn't stop either one of them, but once I got the cut cleaned up, the speed change apparently prevented them from starting again. I'd like to try some more of the recommended fluids, but it's hard to stop doing something that I'm used to.

Mr. Manson and a couple of other people have told me that generally a smaller, lighter lathe will need to run at lower speeds, and a large heavy lathe can run at higher speeds. Makes sense. Mass and rigidity.  A few years ago, I chambered a Walther 17-4 PH barrel for my .30 x .378. At 40 rpm, it didn't chatter, but the chamber wall finish was cloudy and rough looking, not smooth and shiny. At 63 rpm, it looked better, and at 100 rpm made a nice looking chamber.  I didn't like running a reamer that big at that rpm, but it didn't dull it.

I have more solid pilot reamers than live pilots. With the solid pilots, I would be very hesitant to try one of the light cutting oils because of a possible loss of lubrication with the solid pilot running on the land faces. With the live pilots, I don't think it would be a problem. The reamer nose and pilot bushing are so hard they should be easy to lubricate even with a very light cutting oil.

Hope something in this novel helps.   Tom
    « Last Edit: 10:07 PM, 03/17/11 by TRECustom »
    Pistols are O.K. to fight your way to a rifle.
    Life Member Texas State Rifle Assoc
    Endowment Life Member NRA

Offline Bnhpr

• Basic Member
    « Reply #10 on: 07:24 PM, 03/23/11 »
  • Does anyone have a recomendation for a lube to use when reaming a chamber?
     Does the type of lube have any effect on reamer chatter?

Thanks  Jon

Jon,

Bar and chain oil will suppress  chatter. Increasing speed works also. Some machinist put a layer of wax paper over the reamer each pass to reduce chatter.

Ben

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.