Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Reloader 17 in 6.5-284  (Read 2447 times)

Offline dennisinaz

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloader 17 in 6.5-284
« on: 11:17 PM, 03/03/11 »
  • Who uses R17 with success in the 6.5-284. I spent some time at the range today working mostly with H4350 and 130s. I had loaded a few with R17 just to see how hot I could go. I was maxed out with 4350 about about 2950 or so and I hit 3200 with R17. That's quite a jump. I just shot a few to see how pressure and velocity were so I have no idea what to expect for accuracy and SD.  Almost looks too good to be true!

Online fivering

• Trade Count: (+4)
    Reloader 17 in 6.5-284
    « Reply #1 on: 11:47 PM, 03/03/11 »
  • I'm using Re-17 behind 140 Bergers in my 6.5x284 with very good results.

Offline MTM

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+16)
    • Ace Member
    Reloader 17 in 6.5-284
    « Reply #2 on: 09:49 AM, 03/04/11 »
  • With my 6.5/284, Norma brass, Fed. 210Ms, 142 SMKs, 30" bbl., 47.5 gr. Re17 made 2990 fps. With Lapua brass I'm sure one could go faster but very accurate at 1000 yds. with my load. Barrel burned out right around 950 rds..
    watercam

Offline Obtunded

• Site $$ Contributor
    Reloader 17 in 6.5-284
    « Reply #3 on: 10:34 AM, 03/04/11 »
  • Depends on the gun. I could not make RL17 work with any bullet combination in a 6.5-284. In fact, I have never been able to make RL-17 work in anything accurately. Fast, yes, accurate, no.

Offline dennisinaz

Reloader 17 in 6.5-284
    « Reply #4 on: 06:32 PM, 03/05/11 »
  • With my 6.5/284, Norma brass, Fed. 210Ms, 142 SMKs, 30" bbl., 47.5 gr. Re17 made 2990 fps. With Lapua brass I'm sure one could go faster but very accurate at 1000 yds. with my load. Barrel burned out right around 950 rds..

I haven't tried the 140s with it yet but my buddy just emailed me his loads with a 25" barrel. With 50.0 grains and a 140 VLD hunting, he gets 3050. I am getting 3200+ with 51.4 grains and a 130 in a 25" barrel. He gets 3150 with the 130s using Ramshot magnum and says it is better in the 130s for him that R17. 

I would like to see a larger sample!

I am going to shoot another ladder test Monday or Tuesday but need to move back a little as 500 yds wasn't enough to see anything going on.

Thanks

Offline memilanuk

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Ace Member
    Reloader 17 in 6.5-284
    « Reply #5 on: 10:16 PM, 03/05/11 »
  • Dennis,

I'm starting down a similar path with a Savage Target action in a McRee stock with a factory 6.5-284 barrel from a 12 F-Class rifle. 

I was looking mainly at Chris Long's info located here... 

Offline AusFclass

• Site $$ Contributor
    Reloader 17 in 6.5-284
    « Reply #6 on: 12:21 AM, 03/06/11 »
  • from what i have seen in other calibers you can get good accuracy with re17 if you run around the same or SLIGHTLY higher velocity as you do with "normal" powder.

BUT! when you start working up a hotter load to take full advantage of the extra speed avalible with re17 things can get crazy. the pressures dont seem to spike but accuracy and ES go ou the window.   

so if you want bragging rights in the chronograph competition use re17. but people seem to find it runs beta backed off to near normal velocity.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.