Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Hydro dipping  (Read 6440 times)

Offline tenring

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Ace Member
Hydro dipping
« on: 07:09 PM, 02/26/11 »
  • I want to change the finish scheme on a McMillan Edge BR synthetic stock.
    Don't want paint, thinking about hydro dipping.  I see ads for this process popping up frequently. I would like to hear from anyone who has tried it.  How durable is the finish after dipping?  Is the pattern consistent throughout, or were there runs or other blemishes?  Where did you have it done, what was the cost?   Thanks.

Online dtucker

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+277)
    • Ace Member
    Hydro dipping
    « Reply #1 on: 08:09 PM, 02/26/11 »
  • Over on Snipers Hide i read some discussions about it and it seems most said it was pretty darn durable and those guys beat the snot out of their stuff. Not to sure what the price is on having it done. Most that i have seen pictures of did not do anything for me and their was something that i did not like. But that is just me. George over at GA precision has a company i think he uses you could give them a call and talk to them about it. Alot of stuff goes out his shop and if it was not up to his par you can bet he would not have it done on any of his stuff.
    Dan Tucker  
    Dark Side of the Moon

Offline NorCalMikie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+18)
    • Ace Member
    Hydro dipping
    « Reply #2 on: 03:16 AM, 02/27/11 »
  • Try here.      www.hydro-dip.com.
    Had them do my M1A in a camo pattern. Beautiful work and tough as nails. The selection of finish patterns is endless.
    OZ never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Offline tenring

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    Hydro dipping
    « Reply #3 on: 04:05 AM, 02/27/11 »
  • Mikie - I have already talked to those folks.  First, they want $500 to dip my BR stock.  But then, after I agreed to pay it and selected a pattern, they told me they could not obtain a transparency for it.  So, I am interested in finding other "dippers".

Offline jghoghunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Ace Member
    Hydro dipping
    « Reply #4 on: 04:47 AM, 02/27/11 »
  • Try this place. It is out of Chambersburg Pa. They have done stuff for my buddie and it has all turned out great. I don't remember any prices but they were more than reasonable. http://liquidillusion.net/
    IF YOU ARE GOING TO ACT STUPID YOU BETTER BE TOUGH
    NRA Endowment Member
    LOCAL 520 PIPEFITTER

Offline EddieHarren

• Trade Count: (+60)
    • Ace Member
    Hydro dipping
    « Reply #5 on: 05:59 AM, 02/27/11 »
  • +1 on liquid illusion!
    NRA Patron Member

Offline tenring

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    Hydro dipping
    « Reply #6 on: 09:56 AM, 02/27/11 »
  • I sent Liquid Illusion a short letter and photo of the pattern I wanted on Dec. 28th; they never responded.   

Looking for someone to render an opinion re the durability of hydro dipping, whether it chips easily, whether the pattern runs,  etc., etc.   

Offline jp

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+32)
    Hydro dipping
    « Reply #7 on: 10:07 AM, 02/27/11 »
  • Here is a site for you. I have spoken to this young man, seems to be a very good guy.

http://lonestarhydrografx.com/index2.html

He has quite a few patterns, but I do not know about the cost..
    JP

Offline CoverDog

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+19)
      • The Kennels of Stone Creek
    Hydro dipping
    « Reply #8 on: 10:48 AM, 02/27/11 »
  • I'll tell you who I won't use again, EASTERN HYDROGRAPHICS Camden, S.C. I sent them a Stockade stock that I finished to perfection. After several attempts to apply the film I picked they called and said they couldn't do it with that film. I needed to pick another. Each time they had to re-apply the film they said they sanded the old off. Well they went through the gel coat in several places.

After a month they sent the stock back with several quarter sized bubbles in the finish. I sent it back again and several weeks later it came back. Finish was acceptable but with many pin sized holes where the gel coat had been rubbed through. 7 weeks for that.

While this was going on I had sent the barreled action to Black Ice for Teflon coating. Great job, and when talking with them I found out they now also dip stocks. My next stock is going to Black Ice Coatings.
    NRA Endowment member

Offline Jim See

• Trade Count: (+8)
      • center shot rifles
    Jim See
    Surgeon Rifles

Offline Jim See

• Trade Count: (+8)
      • center shot rifles
    Hydro dipping
    « Reply #10 on: 05:47 PM, 02/27/11 »
  • Cost about $100.

Jim See
    Surgeon Rifles

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.