Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Best Long Range Coyote .223 Load?  (Read 10393 times)

Offline lgraham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
Best Long Range Coyote .223 Load?
« on: 05:09 PM, 02/05/11 »
  • I want to get more performance out of my .223 and would like to be able to shoot further (out to around 500 yards) on coyotes and was wondering if anyone had a hand load they would recommend for this. I practice a lot with this rifle and will be able to make the shot, but would like a load capable of doing the job at this range. The rifle is a CZ-527 .223 with 21.9 inch barrel and a 1 in 12" twist. I believe this twist is supposed to performs better with lighter bullets so I was thinking of maybe a 50 grn TNT or Ballistic tip with a compressed load for max velocity. Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions at all I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
    Luke

Offline Otter

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 06:12 PM, 02/05/11 »
  • For that range I would see if I could get some of the 60 grain Hornady V-max bullets to shoot.  If not, I'm sure a 55 grain bullet would shoot, and I would want the extra 5 grains of weight, although it probably would not make any difference over 50 grains.  Check out the Sierra loading data and you can see which powder gives the highest velocity for a given bullet weight.

For long distance .223 shooting I use 25.3 grains of Varget with Sierra Blitzking bullets.  Not the fastest load, but very accurate, and I know what the trajectory is within a inch or so out to 400 yards.

Offline bsc4444

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #2 on: 07:29 PM, 02/05/11 »
  • YOU WOULD BE BETTER WITH A 1:9 TWIST WITH THE 60 GR. V-MAX'S. I HAVE A 1:12 TWIST IN MY BOLT GUN. IT LOVES 26.5 GR. AA2460 WITH 55GR. V-MAX'S AND
    27GR. WITH THE 40 GR. V-MAX'S. THE 40 GR. RUN AT 3640. IT'S A GREAT P-DOG
    LOAD ALSO. AS ALWAYS START 2 GR. LIGHT AND WORK YOUR WAY UP .3 TENTHS
    AT A TIME.
    « Last Edit: 07:58 PM, 02/05/11 by bsc4444 »

Offline LawrenceHanson

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 09:56 PM, 02/05/11 »

• Offline K22

• Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 10:09 PM, 02/05/11 »
  • At that distance, forget the 223 and go to a 243, 22 250, or 220 swift to avoid wounding the animal or missing all together.

Offline Austin

« Reply #5 on: 12:19 AM, 02/06/11 »
  • Idk about shooting coyotes past 350.i shot one 2 days ago with my 223 at 256 yards and it was folded up in 1 shot and didnt move.I have a remington 788.i think it has a 1-12 but shoots a 55grvmax with 24gr of 4895 in a hornady case at probly close to 3200 or a tad more.i have dropped them to 350 in 1 shot.i will never have another rifle for coyotes only.the 223 is not marginal by any standards.ya every 1 has a bad experience now and then.coyotes arent to tough just long winded with a bullet in them.the right bullet is key.iv shot over 150 dogs to this load and it works great.
    Stupidity should be painful

Offline Rookie

• Trade Count: (+3)
    « Reply #6 on: 06:50 AM, 02/06/11 »
  • +1 for the 55gr V-max in 223.
    I use it for called yotes mostly inside 200yds. But I have taken a few closer to 400yds when the wind was down and the yote standing still.
    For longer range yote hunting I have a Rem 700 fitted with a 24" sporter wt. Shilen 243Win barrel 1/10 twist that lives on Berger 88gr Varmint match bullets and a 4.5-14 Burris scope (love those scopes).

Online 2dogs

• Trade Count: (+7)
    « Reply #7 on: 08:47 AM, 02/06/11 »
  • I prefer the 40 grain Nosler BT in my 223. I get close to 3850 fps and excellent terminal performance. Accuracy has been spectacular with this bullet to 500 yards as well.

Now, I have never shot a coyote past 300 yards with my 223 but I fear the heavier bullets would fail to expand as much as a lighter constructed bullet once you get out past thier design envelope.

Offline HillbillySniper

• Trade Count: (+23)
    • Ace Member
    • Send It!
    « Reply #8 on: 02:25 PM, 02/06/11 »
  • Try 23.5 grains of h322 with the 50 ballistic tip noslers I've shot them outta my old 223 out to 500 plus yards before I improved it

Hillbilly
    God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers.

Offline LRPV

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Ace Member
    • Jason Walker
    « Reply #9 on: 09:44 AM, 02/07/11 »
  • The new 53 grain Vmax has a .290 bc and is still light enough to get decent velocity with. I have some but have not loaded any yet, so I have no experience with them in game. I have hopes that they will be every bit as good as the 50 Vmax and with the added BC, even better. I bought some of the Superformance ammo for the 223 before the bullets were available and they shoot good in my AR. I use the AR for hunting at night and it has been cloudy every time there has been good moonlight so I haven't used it much. I have had good accuracy on paper with the 64 berger on paper but nothing on game with it either. Personally I would feel better using a bigger caliber at that range as some others have pointed out, but you have to use what you have. Jason
    « Last Edit: 06:34 PM, 02/07/11 by LRPV »

coyoteklr

« Reply #10 on: 10:03 AM, 02/07/11 »
  • I guess i better go and tell the two coyotes i got yesterday (both at about 400 yards) and my 223 that "223 is  marginal at best"  thats like saying the 22-250 and 243 are marginal deer guns....... you don't need a 300 RUM to hunt deer.....
    55 v-max and 55 nosler btip are both great ....... at close range 100 to 150 the 40 grain v max just makes one hole going in and don't come out...... and you can makem zip.........
    i use TAC ramshot with 24" barrel  and every rifle is different if you want a load reference go to Ramshot's site......
    stay with 55 or 60 if you want to go to 500 and yes they will kill at 500
    AI your barrle and you will get about 100 fps more, but if you want to reach out and touch them with a bigger punch..... rebarrel to a 1 in 8 with a 24" barrel and you have the best of both worlds..... you can shoot the 55"s and the 75 grain bullets ;D
    « Last Edit: 10:11 AM, 02/07/11 by coyoteklr »

Offline K22

• Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 10:45 PM, 02/08/11 »
  • I guess i better go and tell the two coyotes i got yesterday (both at about 400 yards) and my 223 that "223 is  marginal at best"

Wow, I'm impressed, sighted at 200 yards out of a 24" barrel the 55 grain bullet should drop about about 25 inches at 400 yards and 50 inches at 500 yards. If I could hit anything at that distance with my 223's I'd toss my 22 250 and 243 in the trash so I'm going to try it.

Offline soldierofchrist

« Reply #12 on: 01:39 PM, 02/09/11 »
  • Berger makes a 64 grain bullet that has a B.C. of .294 that if you load 25 grains of h4895 behind it shoots really well. Would I take it out to 500 yards for coyote probably not, but it will get you more energy out there.

Offline LawrenceHanson

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 11:14 PM, 02/09/11 »

• Offline LRPV

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Ace Member
    • Jason Walker
    « Reply #14 on: 11:23 AM, 02/10/11 »
  • Lawrence, I am in NW Missouri and my hunting partners and I hunt about the same way. We use Randy Anderson's Barka lounger seats which give you some back support if set up out in the open. We sometimes use electronic calls and decoys like the mojo critter. The longest coyote I have ever shot was just under 350yds with 22-250 and a 40 vmax. Of course there wasn't any wind. The longest this year was 250 and the shortest was 80yds. I use a 22-250 with 50 vmax and an AR with a 2.5-10 accupoint for night hunting when and if the moon shines since we are not allowed to use lights. We have river bottoms that you can see for a long way and even some places in the hills. I need to practice my calling evidently because I have a good population of coyotes right behind my house that will not come to my calling.
    Jason

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.