Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: .223 Lake City Brass Primer Problems  (Read 4590 times)

Offline sparetime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
.223 Lake City Brass Primer Problems
« on: 08:14 PM, 02/02/11 »
  • I am relatively new to reloading. 

I am currently trying to reload some .223 Lake City Brass I purchased off Gunbroker.  I understand the military brass has a crimp on the primer.  I thought I could simply use a small primer pocket cleaning tool to clean out the primer pocket, but this doesn't seem to be the correct thing.  I tried cleaning all the primer pockets, but I don't think I'm removing anything. 

I am using a Lee Auto Prime to prime the cases, but I am having difficulty and suspect there is another step I need to take with the brass before priming.  What is it? 

Offline sparetime

• Basic Member
    « Reply #1 on: 08:22 PM, 02/02/11 »
  • I think I'll answer most of my own question, I need a primer pocket swagging tool. 

Any recommendations on which one to get.  I have about 750 brass to do, and expect to use it again in the future. 

Offline whiskey08

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #2 on: 08:27 PM, 02/02/11 »
  • you are correct, at the very top of the primer pocket is a thin ring (crimp) that needs to be removed with a reamer. there are some decrimpers that punch it out or  the hand held reamer which i always used.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=8937&categoryString=9315***731***695***

Offline DoubleUp

• Basic Member
    « Reply #3 on: 08:44 PM, 02/02/11 »

• Offline fivering

• Trade Count: (+4)
    « Reply #4 on: 08:46 PM, 02/02/11 »
  • Get yourself a Dillon Primer Pocket swager and solve your problem. It has swager for both large and small primer pockets, is extremely well made and will last for a lifetime.
    Reaming the pockets leaves a large portion of the sides of the primer unsupported.
    Military brass run through the Dillon tool prime as easily as civilian brass.
    The Dillon is much faster and does a better job than the press mounted tools.

Offline CMJR

• Trade Count: (+24)
    « Reply #5 on: 09:21 PM, 02/02/11 »
  • Swage 750pcs of mil brass?? Why don't you just get someone to stab you in the eye with a screwdriver, it'll feel about the same. Send it to this guy and be done with it. I've owned both the Dillon and RCBS swagers before I tried this guy, sold them both on Ebay.

http://www.custombrassprocessing.com/index.html

Offline Rookie

• Trade Count: (+3)
    « Reply #6 on: 09:28 PM, 02/02/11 »
  • Get yourself a Dillon Primer Pocket swager and solve your problem. It has swager for both large and small primer pockets, is extremely well made and will last for a lifetime.
    Reaming the pockets leaves a large portion of the sides of the primer unsupported.
    Military brass run through the Dillon tool prime as easily as civilian brass.
    The Dillon is much faster and does a better job than the press mounted tools.
    +1

Offline jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+177)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    « Reply #7 on: 07:07 PM, 02/04/11 »
  • The dillon doesnt work right.It doesnt move enough of the crimp out of the way.I still end up cutting a small chamfer to make the primer seat without a hydraulic press.It is the only dillon piece that doesnt work very well.Now I chuck up a wilson case deburr in a drill and chamfer the military crap.
    jon t lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+95)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 09:50 PM, 02/04/11 »
  • If you already have a Forster case trimmer, they make a cutter to remove the crimp from military brass. Shown in Midway catalog #33, page 321, lower left corner, "Primer Pocket Chamfering Tool". Hand held cutters are also available from Lyman and others. I prefer to cut them out rather than swage.
    Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Offline fivering

« Reply #9 on: 10:33 AM, 02/05/11 »
  • You can adjust the swager on the Dillon to go deeper.

Offline tomj44

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: 10:59 AM, 02/05/11 »
  • You can adjust the swager on the Dillon to go deeper.

You sure can. You can adjust too far and destroy the primer pocket and bend the rods. :o

Offline fivering

« Reply #11 on: 11:08 AM, 02/05/11 »
  • Well of course you can, and you can do the same thing with the wrong setting of a decapping rod, a little common sense is called for!

Since the swager is backed up by a rod on the other side of the cartridge web, sometimes you need to tweek the adjustment of the swager between years or brands of military brass, as the web can be of different thickness.
    « Last Edit: 01:12 PM, 02/05/11 by fivering »

Offline treeman

• Trade Count: (+9)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #12 on: 01:14 PM, 02/05/11 »
  • wilson makes a reamer for the pockets that is intended to be used with a wilson tool but I have used it by hand with good results the difference in "feel" of seating primers after useing this is amazing.

Treeman
    aim for the blue

Offline andre3k

• Basic Member
    « Reply #13 on: 04:21 PM, 02/06/11 »
  • the dillon works fine as long as you read the directions and adjust it properly.

Offline Travelor

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #14 on: 07:35 AM, 02/07/11 »
  • The Dillon primer pocket swager is the best thing since sliced bread for removing the crimp from military primer pockets.

I would not even attempt to do job this without my Dillon.  I have the RCBS tool and it is junk in my experience.

Some people are using their inside neck chambering tool to remove the crimp with success.

George
    No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.