Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Forster Case Trimmer 3-way cutting head  (Read 1591 times)

Offline watercam

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Ace Member
Forster Case Trimmer 3-way cutting head
« on: 09:50 AM, 01/13/11 »
  • Just set up my Forster trimmer w/ 3-way cutting head(s). It works great. It has it's limitations (06 length case would be about max) and they only make heads in .22, .243 and .308. In addition, length adjustments are limited without having to move the stop collar but if you , like me, are only using one or two rounds for high volume match shooting it is a big time saver.
    I use a Wilson trimmer with micrometer adjustment and I consider it a very superior unit (especially in stainless steel which I wished I had) but they do not, nor are considering, a 3-way cutter head. Frankly there isn't room for one in any event. But the time taken to trim, then chamfer, then de-bur is about double the time it takes with the Forster.
    If one balks at $300 for a Gracie or $400 plus for a Giraud, try about $120 for Forster in one caliber, add $55 for a second. Cuts are clean, precise and straight.
    Mike T.
    watercam

Offline jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+174)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    « Reply #1 on: 10:35 AM, 01/13/11 »
  • If you use the drill press holder the sky is the limit.It retails for about 55.00.
    jon t lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline RDavies

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 01:36 PM, 01/14/11 »
  • Was looking at these in the Sinclair catalogue yesterday, and was keen, but as I shoot a 6.5 and 7m, I will have to wait for more offerings to come ut.

Offline GrocMax

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    « Reply #3 on: 04:21 PM, 01/21/11 »
  • You can buy the 'long' and 'extra long' base from Forster for the really long cases.

Offline Ron10x

• Basic Member
    « Reply #4 on: 07:56 PM, 01/21/11 »
  • When I ask the Forster folks at the Shot Show about a 6.5 cutter they did not seem very interested.  They said something about the difficulty in setting up the cutters.  I did not press the issue.  I couldn't figure out why 6.5 would be any more difficult than .223 to setup.  I'm guessing it may have something to do with sales volume.

I currently use the RCBS 3-way trimmer for .223 and .30 and they do have a 6.5 too and it is less expensive than the Forster offering.

Just my 2 cents.

Ron

Offline watercam

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+16)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 08:10 PM, 01/21/11 »
  • You must be right but it seems the 7mm would be a no brainer. It would not take too much trouble to turn the .308 pilot down and tweak the cutters but it RCBS may be the way to go. I opted out of that one because it seemed that adjusting the cutters with every caliber change might be a bear but I should have asked someone who is using one!
    watercam

Offline Ron10x

• Basic Member
    « Reply #6 on: 08:21 PM, 01/21/11 »
  • Watercam,

I have seperate RCBS cutters for each caliber.  Once I get the adjustments to where I want them there is no need to change them.  Yes, you can just repace the pilot and them adjust the cutters but to me that is a waste of time. 

I have dummy cases that I use to set the length a bit long. I measure the case with the dial caliper and adjust the cutters for the desired length.  I'm very happy with the RCBS power trimmer and 3-way cutters.

Ron

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.