Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: I have a Lee target model reloader in 223.  (Read 1244 times)

Offline commando57

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Basic Member
I have a Lee target model reloader in 223.
« on: 11:13 AM, 12/22/10 »
  • As this set only neck sizes would it be feasible for me to ream the necks and then later full length size them for use in an AR-15? I want to see if I can get a real small group out of my AR's. Do you think I will have any trouble with not having enough neck tension if I load from the magazine.

Offline Kenny474

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 12:04 PM, 12/22/10 »
  • If you are going to use the Lee neck sizer and reamer, I would use a body die instead of a FL die. You will be over-working the brass if you size the neck twice, and neck tension should be fine with the Lee tool.

The Lee tool does taper the brass in the neck as well, as the neck sizer is tapered inside to hold the brass while reaming (tighter at the case mouth than shoulder). So if you use a regular FL die, the neck will be tighter toward the shoulder than at the mouth after reaming as the brass will be thicker at the shoulder. If you use the Lee die for all your neck sizing, and a body die for the case body, you won't have this issue.

Those old Lee target models made some accurate ammo, but I'm not sure if it's ideal for an AR. If you use the body die, you may still get good results. But I would not FL size that brass after. Body dies are cheap as well, about $30.

Maybe do a small test batch of 10 or 20 cases and see if they are more accurate or have any benefit. If they work out well, make more. If not, your only out a few cases.

Offline necchi

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 01:21 PM, 12/22/10 »
  • I'm a bit confused, but that can happen easily.   ::)
     You got 3 different things going on here; Neck sizing, Reaming the neck and Full sizing,, each is a process unto itself.
    You could, Full size with the button removed from the die, that'll get the body down but sqeeze the neck quite a bit, then neck size,,  :-\

Offline Kenny474

• Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 04:42 PM, 12/22/10 »
  • The Lee target die is a neck sizer and reamer. It will size the necks and allow you to ream them at the same time while in the neck die. (you need to ream if you use the die or you will have excessive neck tension) But he needs to size the body for use in an AR. So I suggested a body die to keep from overworking the neck.

The Target model is like the Lee Loader, but a bit different as you ream the necks after pounding the case into the die body. They are an old tool, but a good tool for what it is and what it does. They gave the average guy a low cost way to "thin the necks" without spending a fortune on equipment.
     They are basically a complete loading kit and neck reamer all in one unit. Very good tool for it's time. I know an old timer who only uses these and Lee Loaders and his ammo is scary accurate.

Kenny

If anyone has any of these (Lee Target Loader) I will buy them if they are complete or at least have the important parts. Just PM me with info.

Offline necchi

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 12:53 AM, 12/23/10 »
  • Thank You,  ;D I see the light.

Offline olehunter

• Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 06:15 PM, 01/19/11 »
  • am searching for inside neck reamer for243 cal for my lee target model reloader i think i wore out the original .
                                                      ole hunter

Online jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+174)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    « Reply #6 on: 10:00 PM, 01/19/11 »
  • Does your ar have a no turn neck,a sammi neck or is it s standard barrel ,say from dpms.If it is a standard barrel ,the more you take off the neck the sloppier it will fit the chamber.These chambers are reamed for function in mind in the first place.I can see skimming the neck to even the brass for precise neck tension.I do nothing other than resize to a point and use the best components I can and get great results from a bastardized ar I have with a stock armalite barrel.It shoots in the .2's if I do everything right.You need to give us more imfo in order for us to give you the correct answers. Like is it chrome lined or plain or is it a match chamber?
    jon t lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline commando57

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #7 on: 10:07 AM, 01/23/11 »
  • I don't know about the neck. In 223 I have an old Armalite carbine chrome lined, a 20 inch SS Wilson heavy barrel and a Stag 24 inch SS varminter. On order is a 6mmAR upper in .223. I thought I could ream the necks and it worked ok but I still had too much runout. The bullets did not move in the magazine or when chambered so neck tension was good and I used this number when I outside turn. I have since ordered the K& M setup and the Neco runout tool and a ball mic. Now my quest is the low runout cartridge. This is a very difficult thing to do. Now that I can measure I found out that my RCBS full length die was causing runout. I now have a Lee collet die and it is working well. The Redding sizer is next on my list, got the competition seater for Christmas. Some of my loads are as low as .0005 runout. (Seems the ball is not touching the bullet, but it is.) And then there are the ones that have .002 runout. That is where I need to concentrate. I outside turn the necks and I can get between .010 and .011, sometimes less. So I have everything loaded and I wait for the weather to warm up to see what I can do. Friday it was 31 and the wind was gusting (it WAS cold), but between puffs I got 3 loads in 2 different guns under an inch. My Dad's Savage 10FP in 223, that I load for, was in the .3's. My 6mm Banshee was 4 in one hole 1/2 inch above the first shot with a freshly cleaned barrel, that would have been really small is if I had shot the fouler elsewhere. It's groups started opening up I assumed it was wind and cold and me, but I got a bunch of copper out when I cleaned it. The Wilson was not shooting well either, but I got a lot of green patches from her also. I did not take the Stag because I had the Savage in it's case. I have read all the excellent articles, but nothing beats watching someone who knows his stuff. So anyone around Virginia let me know. Thanks for reading this.
    « Last Edit: 05:44 PM, 01/23/11 by commando57 »

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.