Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Making Grody Gritters' Grizzly Rods  (Read 3146 times)

Offline mofugly13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
Making Grody Gritters' Grizzly Rods
« on: 12:59 PM, 12/05/10 »
  • I am looking for information on the proper sizes of drill rod used to make the three sizes of grizzly indicator rods.  I have seen the information before in the internet, and in at least one of the gunsmithing forums somebody posted photos and sized of drill rod they used to make their own.  For the life of me I cannot find this information anywhere, I guess my goole-fu is weak.  Can anyone help me out?

Offline Preacher

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+106)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 10:06 AM, 12/06/10 »
  • Indicator and range rods are tapered and threaded for bushings per caliber. For the work involved they can be bought pretty cheap..
    Age is a high price to pay for maturity.

Offline mofugly13

• Basic Member
    « Reply #2 on: 10:52 AM, 12/06/10 »
  • I am not talking about range rods, or tapered indicator rods.  I am referring to the rods Gordy gritters uses to indicate a bore.  They are nothing more than a piece of dril rod, turned down at the end to accept a caliber specific bushing.  They are sold as "grizzly rods" at PTG, for $37 each.  There are three different sizes used depending on the caliber of the barrel, I am asking what size drill rod is used for each size or rod.  $37 dollars a rod may seem cheap to some of you, but drill rod is way cheaper.  I will use the money saved to buy the bushings.

Offline Rustystud

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 12:37 PM, 12/06/10 »
  • Go buy a cylindrical grinder and you will think $37.00 is a bargin.

Nat Lambeth

Offline JDJones

• Trade Count: (+5)
    « Reply #4 on: 09:46 PM, 12/08/10 »
  • the benifit of using the pre made rods form PT&G is that they are true and concentric and finished ground AFTER hardening , that most likely won't be the case with a pices of drill rod.

unless your getting into building guns as a buisness then just buy a set at a time and collect them.
    Nope , I'm not "The" J.D. Jones of SSK , I made my screen name and never thought about it

Offline Bnhpr

• Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 06:04 PM, 01/16/11 »
  • I'll do you a favor and not tell you.

Direct indicate a bbl for a coaxial chamber

Offline Sin_arms

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #6 on: 09:38 PM, 01/16/11 »
  • Just buy the one or 2 that you need when you need them.

Offline Rustystud

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 10:15 PM, 01/16/11 »
  • When at Trinidad State Junior College teaching a class a student looked into my Machinist tool box and said you have quite a bit of tooling. I said yes the box he was looking in contained more than $25,000.00 worth of tooling. I said I have 5 more boxes just as full in my shop at home. I have been doing gunsmithing for almost 40 years. For the last 20 I would estimate that I bought on and average $20,000.00 a year worth of tooling per year. If you are going to seriously do gunsmithing you will have quite an investment in tooling.
    Nat Lambeth

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.