Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 338/300 Win MAg.  (Read 5199 times)

Offline 300Ultra

• Trade Count: (0)
338/300 Win MAg.
« on: 05:15 PM, 11/30/10 »
  • Has anyone necked up the 300 win mag to 338 and given it a longer neck? Maybe an A.I. shoulder angle? I searched 300 Win Mag wildcats and really didn't turn much up. Thanks all.
    Let Wales be, Let me be.

Offline 2644ever

338/300 Win MAg.
    « Reply #1 on: 08:07 PM, 11/30/10 »
  • I did it about 8 years ago, I just asked Dave Manson to alter a .338 Win Mag reamer by relocating the belt further in order to use .300 Win Mag brass. The benefits are a longer neck, a slightly wider shoulder and the availability of .338 WM dies. The project started with a 28" Douglas barrel and a Savage action.
    This is a very efficient cartridge next to the .338 Lapua Mag: With Norma cases that hold about 95 grains of water after fireforming, 77.5 grains of N560 and Lapua's 250 Moly Scenar, you easily reach 2880 fps with a lot less recoil and barrel wear. I was so pleased by the accuracy and the ballistics I even chambered a 3 groove stainless PacNor because it was worth it, and several friends have borrowed my reamer...
    I nickamed that wildcat the .338 Tora Bora because of the heavy pounding that place was receiving from B 52's at that time...
    « Last Edit: 08:12 PM, 11/30/10 by 2644ever »

Offline 300Ultra

338/300 Win MAg.
    « Reply #2 on: 05:00 AM, 12/01/10 »
  • Cool  8). I'm not sure how the 338 Winny dies figure into it though. Isn't the finished round longer to the shoulder than the factory .338? If you could post a pic of the Tora Bora between a 300 Winchester and the 338 Winchester,that would be great. I guess what I was looking for is a souped up 338 with the same COL as the 300 Winchester to be fed in a standard length M70 magazine.
    Let Wales be, Let me be.

Offline wboggs

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+64)
    • Ace Member
    338/300 Win MAg.
    « Reply #3 on: 09:15 AM, 12/01/10 »
  • I'm not sure why you want to go this route. A .338 Ultra will do everything the wildcat will and in fact equal the Lapua with a proper chamber and equal pressures at much less cost.  My custom Ultra with a 26" krieger barrel gives 2980 fps with 250 gr. Barnes triple shocks using MRP and puts3 shots in 5/8" at 200 yds. It has been used in Africa to take over 100 animals and it really impressed the PHs.

Offline 2644ever

338/300 Win MAg.
    « Reply #4 on: 09:52 AM, 12/01/10 »
  • Cool  8). I'm not sure how the 338 Winny dies figure into it though. Isn't the finished round longer to the shoulder than the factory .338?
    I use the elliptical expander of the Pacific .338 die to expand the neck of the .300 WM first, then I use the die itself to resize the formed case, leaving a .12" gap between shell holder and die base. You can also use Lee's Collet dies in .338 WM but you gotta glue washers to the die base.
    I didn't intend to use Ultra Mag brass because it's more expensive and I wanted something more efficient than the Lapua cartridge, with off the shelf components (Dave was kind enough to move the belt on the reamer free of charge). Besides, neither the Lapua nor the UltraMag will fit in a standard Savage or Winchester magazine...
    Here's a picture: .338 Tora Bora (center) .338 Win Mag (left) .338 Lapua Mag (right)
    http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6822/338torabora.jpg
    « Last Edit: 06:43 AM, 12/02/10 by 2644ever »

Offline 2644ever

338/300 Win MAg.
    « Reply #5 on: 08:31 PM, 12/02/10 »
  • And I should add: The substantial increase in volume (10 grains of water) allows me to use N560 to its full potential. Had I stuck to the .338 Win Mag, I would have had no better option than N550 with a less favorable loading density. MRP is probably the best powder if you're not afraid of 103% loading densities, and I have yet to test Re22 and Accurate's Magpro which should be perfect in my opinion.

Offline buffybuster

• Basic Member
    338/300 Win MAg.
    « Reply #6 on: 11:07 PM, 12/02/10 »
  • How about the .375Ruger necked down to .338.... a 338-375Ruger.  That would be very close the a 338-300WM without the belt.

Offline 2644ever

338/300 Win MAg.
    « Reply #7 on: 03:52 AM, 12/03/10 »

• You're right. If you don't already have .338 Win Mag reamer and dies, it's a very good option to upgrade a .338 Win Mag chambering.
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?topic=25670.0

Offline 300Ultra

338/300 Win MAg.
    « Reply #8 on: 06:31 PM, 12/03/10 »
  • Hey thanks for the pic and links 2644ever. Man they sure have taken the 338 caliber to new levels!  I like that Tora Bora. You've got a dandy there. The 338-375 Ruger has a bunch to offer also. Cool stuff 8).
    Let Wales be, Let me be.

Offline 2644ever

338/300 Win MAg.
    « Reply #9 on: 08:45 PM, 12/03/10 »
  • Well, if one day you're ready to give it a try, I may lend you my reamer and 2 cases ;) . You will gain time by having first the barrel chambered, headspaced for the .338 Win Mag and not screwed too tightly as you'll only have to ream about .12" deeper afterwards.

Offline 300Ultra

338/300 Win MAg.
    « Reply #10 on: 04:55 AM, 12/04/10 »
  • Well thank you 2644ever. That's a very generous offer 8). I'll keep it in mind should I decide to do one up.
    Let Wales be, Let me be.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.