Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: The Forgotten Cartridges  (Read 6343 times)

Online jghoghunter

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Ace Member
The Forgotten Cartridges
« Reply #30 on: 08:54 AM, 12/11/10 »
  • I gotta go with boltman13. I have a 257bob and a 7x57 both in 98 mausers also in a mauser is a 220 weatherby rocket set up as a bench gun that was the 1st rifle that I shot in the .1's with.
    IF YOU ARE GOING TO ACT STUPID YOU BETTER BE TOUGH
    NRA Endowment Member
    LOCAL 520 PIPEFITTER

Offline CZ93X62

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #31 on: 08:44 PM, 12/11/10 »
  • I seem to have an odd affection for oddball chamberings, or calibers that take the road less traveled.  Two of those already much-mentioned--the 250 Savage (Sav 99) and the 6.5 x 55 (Ruger 77R) get quite a bit of range time from me.  I run about with three of the small Winchester hyphenated lever rifle rounds (25-20, 32-20, and 44-40), and the more popular 30-30 gets a little range and field time now and then.

With that nom de plume of mine, you knew this one would come up--the 9.3 x 62 Mauser.  Mine is a CZ-550, and it is both accurate and powerful.  With cast bullets (270 grains @ 1800 FPS), it becomes a bolt action 38-55 +P of sorts, and will shoot 1.25-1.5 MOA all day long.  Not benchrest quality of course, but it's not a rat caliber.  It does similar work with Nosler Partition 286 grainers (2375-2400 FPS) and Nosler BalTip 250s (2575-2600 FPS), though 20 rounds of either of those from the bench is about all I care to accomplish in one day, thank you very much.

Offline JeffG

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+19)
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #32 on: 05:06 PM, 12/12/10 »
  • I'll match the 250 and 300 Savages, as well as the 225 Win, all are sitting in my gun closet and reload bench, and raise the .284 win. That cartridge was given up on almost as soon as it was born, but like most neglected children, has grown up to be tough and nasty no matter what folks try to jamb down it's throat.
    JeffG

Offline wch

• Basic Member
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #33 on: 10:52 AM, 12/15/10 »
  • If I may, I'd like to suggest:
    1. 25-35 Winchester
    2. 32-40 Winchester
    3. 7-30 Waters

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #34 on: 01:01 PM, 12/15/10 »
  • If I may, I'd like to suggest:
    1. 25-35 Winchester
    2. 32-40 Winchester
    3. 7-30 Waters

+1 for the old 7-30 Waters, its almost forgotten but the other day I saw some federal ammo for one on the shelf, its a neat little round.
    Wayne.
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline TonyR

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+63)
    • Ace Member
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #35 on: 09:24 PM, 12/15/10 »
  • How about a 218 Bee??  I was at my gunsmith's today and one of the guys had a gorgeous repro Winchester 63 in 218 Bee with one of those old-style scopes that was as long as the barrel.  What a beautiful little lever gun with that tiny frame!
    TonyR

Consistent long range accuracy is the sum of many things, some large and some small.

Offline CanusLatransSnpr

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #36 on: 10:09 PM, 12/15/10 »
  • A friend of mine has an old 7.5 x 74 French!  I had never heard of such a cartridge until he told me about it.  It has got to be older than dirt.  I think its an old military gun.  Another one that comes to mind, I don't own one either but my uncle did is the old .32 special.  My uncle took some deer with that old rifle in Northern Michigan.  I saw the .224 Weatherby Mag mentioned and my neighbor and shooting friend has one of those.  It has an old 2-7 power Weatherby scope sitting on top too.

Mike
    The only people that don't make mistakes are those that don't do anything!

Offline Dave D

• Basic Member
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #37 on: 08:20 PM, 12/17/10 »
  • I haven't seen mention of 7.7 Jap.
    I have a fondness for my first deer rifle. A sporterized military surplus that downed a few deet quite handily.

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #38 on: 02:32 AM, 12/18/10 »
  • Dave,
    Welcome to the forum, yes the 7.7 is a very accurate old round and one of the strongest actions. I have a sporterized pre war 7.7 that's deadly accurate.
    Wayne.
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline JabaliHunter

• Site $$ Contributor
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #39 on: 06:46 AM, 12/18/10 »
  • .303 British and 6.5/.303 Improved  8)

Offline Dave D

• Basic Member
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #40 on: 08:09 AM, 12/18/10 »
  • bozo699,
    I remember in my early teen years my father bought a fully camo'd, sporterized 7.7 Jap to use as an upgrade for his old 30-30. I believe the rifle cost him about $100.00 but little did he realize that loaded ammo back then was only available from Norma and cost about $30.00/box. After Pop bought his Jap he allowed me to use his 30-30 when we went deer hunting. I shot a few deer with the old 30-30 and a couple that got away. In my mind I needed more horsepower.
    A couple years after Pop bought his I found out that my great Uncle had one still in full military condition. I used to enjoy visiting my Great Uncle just to talk hunting stories and guns in general, he was a great conversationist, and comedian. He knew I was at a coming of age, graduating from tree rat hunting to deer hunting and needed a rifle that would put them down handily. I think he finally got tired of me pestering him to see his Jap rifle when ever I came over and accepted my Stevens 20ga single shot as an even trade for the old Jap.
    I managed save up enough money to have a smith lop off the front site and cut the bolt. I did the wood work that was necessary and gave it a hand rubbed oil finish.
    Shortly after I shot up a couple boxes of bullets, Pop bought me an RCBS basic reloading kit that I still use.
    That old rifle was my introduction into reloading and I'm thankful for it.
    Typing this up brings back some good memories.

Online jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+184)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #41 on: 08:46 AM, 12/18/10 »
  • Dave D show us a picture of that jap. I wish I could figure out how to put pics on here as I have a sporterized jap in 6.5.What a great shooter.With cast bullets it will shoot real tight with peep sights.
    Jon  Lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline Dave D

• Basic Member
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #42 on: 10:25 AM, 12/18/10 »
  • Jon,
    Sad to say that gun was stolen about 13 years ago. Never to be seen again. I still have the brass, dies, and bullets just in case Pop ever needs some loaded ammo.

Offline btm_54

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+6)
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #43 on: 08:27 AM, 12/20/10 »
  • Hey guys,

Care to share your favourite cartridges that have been 'forgotten' over the decades.

I know the 225 winchester is one, and for me personally, it has to be the 6.5x55 swedish. Give it another 100 years and it'll be entirely confined to history books and collectors. Not even Ruger or Winchester chamber it anymore here in Australia. The 8mm Mauser is another in the same class.
    270 Sabi
    Regards,
    btm_54

Offline John miller.22xx

• Basic Member
    The Forgotten Cartridges
    « Reply #44 on: 04:01 PM, 12/20/10 »
  • 8x57JS is a Favorite of mine. Votes for 6.5x55 is dead on.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.