Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm  (Read 1701 times)

Offline gbp

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm
« on: 04:05 PM, 11/20/10 »
  • any one have actual experience with either of these? that they could relate
    Note these are WSM based not WSSM

Offline 1000yardstare

• Ace Member
    25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm
    « Reply #1 on: 06:05 PM, 11/20/10 »
  • Looking at the reloading manuals I would say the .25-300WSM would be on a par with the .257 Weatherby magnum. I have toyed with the idea of buying a .257WM Vanguard but the cost of the brass has put me off. Maybe the .25-300WSM is a cheaper way to go? Don`t know.

As for the 6mm-300WSM, if you decide to do it, let me know who the barrel maker is so I can buy shares in their company.
    Certified RSO (Civilian)
    Canadian Army ranges

Offline ollie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+23)
    • Ace Member
    25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm
    « Reply #2 on: 09:24 PM, 11/20/10 »
  • Hillbillysniper has a 25/300wsm you may want to pm him for some of his loads and case forming ideas
    mobilis in mobili

Offline gbp

• Site $$ Contributor
    25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm
    « Reply #3 on: 10:24 AM, 11/21/10 »
  • thanX for the info.
    i'll give hillbilly a shout

Offline savageguy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+160)
    • Ace Member
    25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm
    « Reply #4 on: 10:46 AM, 11/21/10 »
  • I bought a 25-300wsm off my old riflesmith, he loved it. I never shot it, had to many things going on. He shot 100 grain ballistic tips just over 3500fps other than that I don't remember expect that this was his long range varmint caliber. I think I still have the reamer if your interested.
    Hope this helps
    Chris
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands"  Charlton Heston

Offline HillbillySniper

• Ace Member
    • Send It!
    25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm
    « Reply #5 on: 02:02 PM, 11/21/10 »
  • As ollie said I have a 25-300wsm and I love it!!  Its easy to shoot twenty thirty heck all fifty rounds thru it. It doesnt recoil you like a magnum what so ever, Id have no problem putting my girlfriend or ollies wife behind this rifle to shoot a deer with. The groups ive shot with it were easy .25moa at 100 yards. If you are building one or have one and need more info as far as load data or just info on the round feel free to send me a PM!

Hillbilly
    God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers.

Offline gbp

• Site $$ Contributor
    25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm
    « Reply #6 on: 09:22 PM, 11/21/10 »
  • thanX hillbilly, i'm trying to build off a kimber montana amd keep going between the two rounds.  the 6 has better bullets but the 25 WBY always seems to impress.  I have read where 100grn tsx 25's are running 3700fps out of the 25-300wsm

i'll see you over at PLRH

Online jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+185)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm
    « Reply #7 on: 11:46 AM, 11/23/10 »
  • What is plrh? I am looking for more forums,can anybody give me the links. The 25 wsm sounds very interesting due to the fact it will chamber in a short action.You could really build a light nice handling rifle here,one that wouldnt wear you out. I will have to investigate this in the near future.
    Jon  Lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline DanCarey

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+7)
      • Carey Custom Rifle Co
    25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm
    « Reply #8 on: 04:22 PM, 11/23/10 »
  • I have a 257 WSM I built in 2005 with a 25" barrel, it will push a 100 grain bullet at 3500 with no pressure signs and the primers are always tight in the pockets. I guess it would go a little faster if that's what you wanted. There was a WSM site a while back, it didn't have a lot on the 25.
    Accurate Rifles!!

Offline ollie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm
    « Reply #9 on: 04:33 PM, 11/23/10 »
  • mobilis in mobili

Offline RGRobinett

25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm
    « Reply #10 on: 07:24 PM, 11/23/10 »
  • thanX hillbilly, i'm trying to build off a kimber montana amd keep going between the two rounds.  the 6 has better bullets but the 25 WBY always seems to impress.  I have read where 100grn tsx 25's are running 3700fps out of the 25-300wsm

i'll see you over at PLRH

I wouldn't bet on 3700 FPS with 100 Gr. bullets - though chronographs/barrels do vary, I've got three barrels chambered for the 25/300 WSM: none of them, with 100 Gr. bullets, via my old Oehler chronograph will, with safe pressures, exceed 3600 FPS. On the other hand, with 110 Gr. bullets, it is relatively easy to duplicate published .257 WBY (100 Gr. bullets weight)data - that is, about 3540 FPS. This with Win. Supreme 780. These barrels have been used to kill a number of mule deer and pronghorns - for these critters, this cartridge gets it done. Case capacity is less than the .257 WBY; on a long action, I'd opt for the latter, with not over 0.050" of free-bore. RG

Offline gbp

• Site $$ Contributor
    25-300wsm or 6mm-300wsm
    « Reply #11 on: 01:11 PM, 11/24/10 »
  • ThanX for the info RG

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.