Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: The best scope at under $500  (Read 3027 times)

Offline shot410

• Trade Count: (+1)
The best scope at under $500
« on: 01:16 PM, 11/15/10 »
  • I know everyone likes NF, March, etc.  However, some people can't afford those prices. So, what is the best bang for the buck for a variable power target scope for use from 100-500 yards on a 6mmBR?  No high end stuff.  It's out of my league.

Offline pintopete

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    « Reply #1 on: 04:23 PM, 11/15/10 »
  • A Sightron....Peter.

Offline jr600yd

• jr600yd@comcast.net
    « Reply #2 on: 07:33 AM, 11/16/10 »
  • Nikon
    If common sense was common everyone would have it.

Offline CJ6

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 07:47 AM, 11/16/10 »
  • Weaver
    Roger T

Offline huffmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #4 on: 09:22 AM, 11/16/10 »
  • Presently, the best bang for the buck for a very good scope at a very reasonable price are the Nitrex by Weaver discontinued model scopes available only at Natchez Shooters Supply.  Nitrex also has Rebates of $50 or $100 on these scopes, depending on model.  The Nitrex are basically Weaver Grand or Super Slams...both made by LOW of Japan who may be best scope maker in Asia.  Outstanding Japanese glass in them.  Have two TR2s and I've been told by owners of Nikon Monarchs, Leupolds, Burris, Sightrons and even a Zeiss Conquest that they match their scopes for clarity/brightness and found nothing wrong with adjustments when they sat down at bench with my scopes at range and played with them.

I've had them for over 2 months now, on different rifles trying different loads, so lots of adjustments to windage/elevation by me....pullup turrets nice feature for that and they track well with good feeling clicks to them.  Only knock I've read on the Nitrex in optics sections of sites like Sniper's Hide, Predator masters, Rimfire Central and others by their owners was an occasional mention of them being on the heavy side for a scope.

Worth taking a look at the Nitrex.  Here is the web page at Natchez on the TR2 3-15x42 Side focus that had a final cost to me of $218 after rebate and shipping.  You can view all models available from this page.  By the way, have a lifetime warranty...handled by Weaver.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WE&prodID=WE94520&prodTitle=Nitrex TR Two 3-15X42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle

Online navyrad8r

• Trade Count: (+27)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 10:28 AM, 11/16/10 »
  • Shot410,
    Vortex Viper from
    http://www.cameralandny.com/
    6.5-20x50 with a chunk of scope shade delivered for ~$400. These are no factory re-furb!! they threw in 1lb of coffee, a baseball cap and a bumper sticker for the gun box. Not a NF or March but came recommended from Gary Elesio in lew of our previous plan of  Weaver T-36 for my .260 tube gun, take a look at the website.
    cheers, Doc
    Sean "Doc" Lane, Initiated CPO
    Navy double distinguished, NRA Life Member

Offline mr70ss

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #6 on: 07:02 PM, 11/16/10 »
  • For me the best bang for the buck has been Sightron.

Offline Otter

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 08:22 PM, 11/17/10 »
  • I found my Sightron IIs and Nikon Monarchs are about equal at the same price point, all below $500.  For less money and nearly an equal are the two Burris Fullfield II scopes I've recently bought.  Incredible values.  Leupold are great scopes but you pay a premium for optics of the same quality as any of the above.

Offline German Salazar

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
      • Rifleman's Journal
    « Reply #8 on: 10:03 PM, 11/17/10 »
  • Call Bruno's www.brunoshooters.com they always have an inventory of used Leupold scopes - lifetime warranty.  I saw a couple of 36X with Kelbly rings for $395 the other day.  Can't beat that!  There was a Weaver too and I think even a Leupold Mk IV. 

A used scope, like a used car, can be a real bargain if it's the right one for your needs.
    German Salazar
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.riflemansjournal.com

Offline snert

• Trade Count: (+5)
    « Reply #9 on: 11:11 PM, 11/18/10 »
  • I bought two Leupold VariX2 6-18 with target turrets, fine plex, used.  Each cost me less than $400.  I love them.  Track well,a nd are as good as the older generation vari-x 3, IMO.
    Try varmintsden.com and rimfirecentral, as well as the optics forums here and on benchrest central.  All have good regular sellers.
    Snert
    Ideas matter.  Be very concerned about unintended consequences.  Then, when all else is considered, pray in humility, stand on principle and place faith in God.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.