Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 700 long action cartridge options  (Read 2004 times)

Offline NAK5891

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
700 long action cartridge options
« on: 01:40 PM, 10/28/10 »
  • I have an old 700 long action in .30-06 that has been collecting dust since I replaced it a while back with a custom .308.  I was thinking of making a project out of it and putting it in a new stock and definitely a new barrel.  My question is, what cartridges should I consider (other than .30-06)?

Also, what is the largest cartridge I could use with this action?  300 win mag, 300 rem ultra mag? Or are those too big for the standard Remington 700 long action?

Thanks for your help, everybody!  This is the first forum I've joined and have had some great results!

Offline HPMike800

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #1 on: 03:09 PM, 10/28/10 »
  • Before selecting a cartridge, you should have a purpose in mind. You have a 0.473" boltface and will have to get a diffrent bolt for a magnum cartridge.
    Hold Hard,
    Mike Toliver

Offline 15Tango

• Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 03:52 PM, 10/28/10 »
  • I'm going to throw a cartridge out there just to be involved.

Survey says . . . 284 Winchester!

Wayne
    Selling gun gear off to buy camera equipment.

Offline NAK5891

• Basic Member
    « Reply #3 on: 03:54 PM, 10/28/10 »
  • Mike, lets say I want a cartridge that performs very well at long ranges and still packs a lot of punch.  I don't know a lot about those rounds and that's why I mentioned the 300 mags.  So are you saying that these magnums could be used in that action if I got a larger bolt?

Thanks for your help.

Offline NAK5891

• Basic Member
    « Reply #4 on: 03:56 PM, 10/28/10 »
  • Wayne,
    Isn't the 284 winchester a "short action" round?

Offline jr600yd

• jr600yd@comcast.net
    « Reply #5 on: 06:25 PM, 10/28/10 »
  • If you want a long range hunting caliber how about a 6.5/06 ? Good bullet selection, enough "punch" for most deer/elk size animals and easy to form brass from 25/06 - 270 - 30/06

Good shooting, Jim
    If common sense was common everyone would have it.

Offline RonAKA

• Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 07:31 PM, 10/28/10 »
  • You can do pretty much anything with a .473" head on the cartridge, since it is a long action. One quick way to identify cartridges you could use with the same bolt, is to look at other cartridges that use the same shellholder (#2 for Lee). See this chart:

http://www.handloads.com/misc/shellholders.asp
    "I have not failed 10,000 times. I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work." - Thomas Edison

Offline 15Tango

• Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 09:08 PM, 10/28/10 »
  • Nak,

The 284 can be used in a short action but if you want to load the bullets out really far it's often necessary to run a long action, same with the 6.5-284.

Nothing wrong with running a short action cartridge in a long action, the Army's done it for years in the M24.

How about .30-06 AI? That'd certainly set you apart. I even found a picture comparing it to standard:

ETA: The bottom one is a 25 Gibbs I guess.

Wayne
    Selling gun gear off to buy camera equipment.

Offline DCRYDER

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+40)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 09:18 PM, 10/28/10 »
  • I went with a 280AI. Kinda wish i'd went with a 7mm GIBBS.

I think the ultimate cartridge for a long action remington with a magnum boltface would be the 7mm Dakota. Brass and dies too high or i would have done one myself.
    If it aint broke, I'll fix that!!!

Offline jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+187)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    « Reply #9 on: 10:48 PM, 10/28/10 »
  • I 2nd that motion DCRYDER. Go with a .280 ackley improved and have dave kiff cut the reamer to accept the lapua 30-06 case.Basically a shortened neck.Ex-piper did it and it works real nice and you have the .284 selection that is outstanding. The .280 can do anything on this continent. I had one and sold it ,wish I didnt because it was super accurate for a stock rem 700.
    Jon  Lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline 40X Guy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+195)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #10 on: 06:23 AM, 10/29/10 »
  • I second the 6.5-06, but Ackley Improve it. Excellent choice of bullets in 6.5 class.

Frank

Online lpreddick

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+15)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 08:39 AM, 10/29/10 »
  • my 6.5-284,with the appropriat bullet and powder,will explode varmints, compete at 1000 yards or drop large game.  shoot it slowly and it will shoot small groups for over 1000 rounds.  compete regularly and 800 may be all you get.  my 6-284 will hotrod a 105 berger to 3400 fps and touch varmints at just about any range.  so many choices and so little time.
    if i can see you, i can touch you.BANG!
    if i can see you, i can touch you. BANG!

Offline NAK5891

• Basic Member
    « Reply #12 on: 05:02 PM, 10/29/10 »
  • AWESWOME!!!!  Thanks a lot everybody for all your help and insight!!  Gives me a lot of info to look into and consider...which is exactly what I was interested in!

Offline HPMike800

« Reply #13 on: 05:51 PM, 10/29/10 »
  • The shell holder idea is great, use the chart backwards. I don't know of anything with a 308 size case head (0.473")boltface that wont fit in a long action. You'll find lots of diffrent cartridges. I like  the long throated 284, but, the 280 is a hammer too.

Yes, the mags will require a 0.535" boltface bolt.
    Hold Hard,
    Mike Toliver

Offline CJ6

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #14 on: 06:56 AM, 10/30/10 »
  • Wayne,
    Isn't the 284 winchester a "short action" round?
    Not if you want to seat the VLD style  bullets out to where you can use'em in a magazine
    Roger T

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.