Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 22-250 twist rate and bullet weight question.  (Read 6654 times)

Offline GlennGTR1

• Trade Count: (0)
What is the heaviest 223 cal bullet that can be fired out of a 22-250 with a one in fourteen twist?

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Ace Member
22-250 twist rate and bullet weight question.
« Reply #1 on: 06:40 PM, 10/15/10 »
  • My Remington factory 22-250, 26" Varmint contour does an excellent job with 50 gr. ( 50 V-Max), and is also very good with the Sierra 53 gr. MatchKing, both with 35.5 of H4895. 55 V-Max is "good" with a noticable opening up of the group sizes, so I limit my 14 twist to 53 gr. Maximum.
    Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Offline RonAKA

• Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 07:10 PM, 10/15/10 »
  • The cartridge is not a factor. The velocity of the bullet is a minor factor. However the big players are the caliber, bullet length, and weight. Essentially long skinny and heavy bullets are harder to stabilize, and need more spin.

The easy way is just to look at Berger's recommendations for your caliber.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Products/All%20Bullets.html

The short answer is probably a flat base 55 grain.
    "I have not failed 10,000 times. I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work." - Thomas Edison

Offline 357Mag

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 08:27 PM, 10/15/10 »
  • Glen -

Howdy !

I did a bunch of testing w/  the .224's w/ a 24" Hart SS 1-14
    5-groove  I had chambered for a high-intensity .224" cal wildcat.  I put my hands on all the 60s ( esp  custom ) I could find.

Given nominal  .22-250- level velocities  out of a 24" barrel, you can shoot 60's as-long-as the are under .75" long.

I tried to go w/ 60s for use at extended ranges ( in lieu of 55s ), but was unimpressed.  At the time, Sierra's .224" cal
    65gr SPBT was not offered.

Got into the 500yd club on a groundhog kill w/ a prototype
    Hornady .224"  55 "V"-Max.   After seeing what was possible w/ 55s ( more like what's not consistently possible ), I re-barreld to a 28" K & P SS   1-8  5-groove.

THIS allowed me to use Hornady 75 "A"-Max, for all ranges out to 1,000.  My rifle/cartidge combo could put 450ft lb on a groundhog @ 966yd ( my math ).... given the opportunity.  That's good enough for clean-kills @ 1,000.  And... the combo gave good residual paper-punching capability.

My point:
                   IF you will be shooting a lot of 500 and inside, you may want to consider going to  1-12, and shooting something like the heavy/long custom 60s, or perhaps better.....
    Sierra 65s.

Best of luck in your endeavors !

Regards,
                     357Mag

Offline GlennGTR1

« Reply #4 on: 08:54 PM, 10/15/10 »
  • Well then the question remains. Is it better to shoot a 223 with a one in nine and a 70 grain soft point, or a 22-250 with a 50-55 grain bullet for cougar? Longer bullet better penetration or violent upset and energy on target with the 22-250?

Offline RonAKA

• Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 11:35 PM, 10/15/10 »
  • Well then the question remains. Is it better to shoot a 223 with a one in nine and a 70 grain soft point, or a 22-250 with a 50-55 grain bullet for cougar? Longer bullet better penetration or violent upset and energy on target with the 22-250?

Totally different question than you asked in the first place. The simple answer is to look at the remaining energy at point/distance of impact. That gives you the basic answer. Next look at how the bullet design makes use of that energy. Don't get distracted by the length of the bullet, or other irrelevant factors.
    "I have not failed 10,000 times. I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work." - Thomas Edison

Offline CanusLatransSnpr

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 08:51 AM, 10/18/10 »
  • I have read a bit on this forum reguarding this question and it seems the answer has almost always been to shoot said bullet and see if it works.  On Bergers quick reference sheet their 55gr. will shoot from a 1:14 twist barrel fine.  Now I have also read that 55gr. Sierra Blitz Kings would shoot from 1:14 twist barrel where 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips wouldn't.  Granted we're talking two different styles of bullets here but you see where I'm going.  So basically just try em and if they shoot good.  If they don't, back to the drawing board.

Mike
    The only people that don't make mistakes are those that don't do anything!

Offline Live Oak

• Basic Member
    « Reply #7 on: 10:24 AM, 12/15/10 »

For an off the shelf rifle, in my opinion, the Savage VLP-DBM in 22-250 is tough to beat.  You can buy them from the factory with a 1 in 9 inch twist barrel. 

This will allow you to shoot pretty much the entire range of bullet lengths/weights upto about 75 grain. 

The Winchester 22-250 64 grain PP is a great off the shelf round for you application in my opinion as well. 

Here is a good primer on this subject:

Here is a great collection of info. and short articles on this topic.  They sum it up better than I can.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/featured/22-250/ 

Offline pintopete

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    « Reply #8 on: 04:29 PM, 12/15/10 »
  • My experience with my 22/250 is pretty identical to fdshuster's.  55's group ok at about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" with both Sierra and Hornady SP bullets but 50's are consistently better.  The Sierra Varminter 50s will group 5 shots in 5/8" groups if I can do it.  60's were out of the question with my rifle.  Good luck , Peter.

Offline jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+174)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    « Reply #9 on: 11:22 PM, 12/15/10 »
  • I love the remington 50 grain plhp's . They are not real expensive but shoot outstanding.I have had 55 grain flat bases and they shoot about .5 or tighter all out of a factory barrel (remington) that is.
    jon t lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline 7x57 Shooter

• Basic Member
    « Reply #10 on: 06:25 PM, 01/19/11 »
  • My 22-250 shoots the 63 grain Sierra's better than all others, the rest shoot fine, but the 63 shoots smaller groups in my rifle.

Offline Ackman

• Trade Count: (-2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 11:15 PM, 01/19/11 »
  • Try the plastic tipped 55's and see.   My 14 twist .223 shoots very small groups with the 55BlitzKing.....at .820" it's the longest of the plastic tipped 55's, the one that everybody says won't stabilize in a 14" twist.  They're going slower than a 22-250 will push them.  They also shoot really well in a 223AI, again with 14" twist.  So do the 55 Ballistic Tips.  What people say won't work doesn't matter, all that matters is what works in your gun.
    « Last Edit: 11:18 PM, 01/19/11 by Ackman »

Offline 22XC Guy

• Trade Count: (+1)
      • Earth Changes and The Pole Shift
    « Reply #12 on: 05:01 AM, 01/20/11 »
  • My factory Winchester 22-250, settled on shooting 52 grain bullets, with N140 (chronograph recorded), after testing several other powders and bullets. Hornady A-Max and JLK's would group tight, the Berger's shot a descend group. Some rifles can be particular on what goes through them.

Steve
    « Last Edit: 07:07 AM, 01/20/11 by 22XC Guy »
    The only obstacle to stable and adjust the new world order is the USA...

Offline LRPV

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Ace Member
    • Jason Walker
    « Reply #13 on: 11:42 AM, 01/20/11 »
  • I think that the best way to figure out what will work is to just try it. I got 64gr Bergers to work in my T3 with the factory 22" 14 twist. I was worried about them in colder weather so I didn't end up using the load but It did stabilize them into a 1" 3 shot group with 1/2" of vertical at 300yds in 36 degree weather at 1000ft elevation running 3400 fps. They are supposed to take a 12 twist to make them work.

Jason

Offline RJinTexas

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+48)
    • Ace Member
    • site $$ contributor
    « Reply #14 on: 12:24 PM, 01/20/11 »
  • I  experienced no trouble shooting any 55gr bullet and could consistently shoot groups of well under 1.0 mo. My rifle realy liked the the 60gr Partition shooting those into .5 moa. This was from a 14tw, 26" barrel.

RJ
    Prairiedog Eradication Through Assassination just doing my part to support P.E.T.A.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.