Q&A: Gear, Gun Projects, and Gunsmithing > Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing

Mauser Maximum Pressures

<< < (3/3)

normmatzen:
I bought an old Bubba'ed M93 Spanish Mauser in 7X57 which didn't do much more than wet my interest in the 7X57.  So, I'm now building a hunting rifle based on a VZ24 m98 with a 7X57 barrel.

Because of the small ring and large ring actions I now have, I did some research into the specified case limitations of the 7X57.

It is common knowledge that American manufacturers load the 7X57 down substantially based on fears that the small ring mausers will have trouble.  Well, I found that the European pressure specs on the 7X57 case are a bit higher than the American Specs. Although I keep the loads on my small ring gun down to 1900 era loads, I will have no problem loading my M98 based gun on more aggresive limits.  I'm looking for 140 gr bullets perking along at 2900 fps!

Robert:

--- Quote from: normmatzen on 02:07 AM, 12/01/10 ---I bought an old Bubba'ed M93 Spanish Mauser in 7X57 which didn't do much more than wet my interest in the 7X57.  So, I'm now building a hunting rifle based on a VZ24 m98 with a 7X57 barrel.

Because of the small ring and large ring actions I now have, I did some research into the specified case limitations of the 7X57.

It is common knowledge that American manufacturers load the 7X57 down substantially based on fears that the small ring mausers will have trouble.  Well, I found that the European pressure specs on the 7X57 case are a bit higher than the American Specs. Although I keep the loads on my small ring gun down to 1900 era loads, I will have no problem loading my M98 based gun on more aggresive limits.  I'm looking for 140 gr bullets perking along at 2900 fps!

--- End quote ---

Normmatzen,

CIP pressures for the 7x57 are given at 3900 bar This is the nominal maximal cartridge pressure, not the PK (4485) or PE (4875) testing pressures?

In comparison .308 Wini s given at 4150 bar, PK 4775 and PE 5100.

As both cartidges are same case head diameter, the difference can only be in the charactersitics of the case itself.
Then, as far as the action is concerned, what is safe for the .308 would be even more for the 7w57 if kept at nominal pressures.

PK is for copper crusher and PE for Piezo measurings.

R.G.C

butchlambert:
All of my mauser receivers were annealed before smithing and then recased after the work was done. For the folks that don't know, that is case hardened. They are not made of the material that can be heat treated unless you call case hardening heat treating. If you had a way to check the receivers yourself you would find they didn't case harden the whole receiver.I  believe the prewar, before 1940, are considered to be good to go.
As an aside, I traded for a Mexican Mauser chambered in 17-220 Swift several years ago. It shot just OK, but didn't blow up.
Butch

jonbearman:
Better to check with a known gunsmith who works with mausers all day and see what he says.The 98's were known for there overkill in design.And since when is the 8mm mauser a low pressure cartridge.

Robert:

--- Quote from: jonbearman on 09:12 PM, 12/01/10 ---
.And since when is the 8mm mauser a low pressure cartridge.

--- End quote ---

Ton,
Shortest correct answer to the question.

CIP/ordnance pressure :3900 bar , or 56565 PSI for the Infanterie Patrone 'Nur fuer gewehr' (infanterie cartridge, 'For rifle only').
R.G.C

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version