Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Best brass catcher for flat top AR's?  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Steave

• Trade Count: (+1)
Best brass catcher for flat top AR's?
« on: 12:56 AM, 10/02/10 »
  • I've got a RRA varminter.  I've always been pleased with the accuracy, but haven't loaded for it just because I don't want to chase the brass, but I've decided I'd like to see if I can get a bit more accuracy out of it with good handloads.  This means a brass catcher.

The only good brass catchers I'm familiar with are those offered by E&L Manufacturing, but I'm not familiar with any others.  What is the best AR brass catcher on the market and/or are there other catchers I should consider?

Thanks much!

Offline CPorter

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #1 on: 01:37 AM, 10/02/10 »
  • You can make your own fairly easily. I used a wire coat hanger made a rectangle and curved it to fit the receiver, added a open ended rectangle with ears to attach it to the scope mount. I bent the end out that is on the top of the curved piece to hold open the bag so brass isn't bounced back into the action. Then used a heavy cotton fabric to make the bag. It has to be a natural fabric, synthetics melt on the hot brass.

Brownells has a couple of nice commercial units:
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=brass+catcher/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=brass_catcher

Offline rocketron

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+16)
    « Reply #2 on: 06:47 AM, 10/02/10 »
  • You can make your own fairly easily. I used a wire coat hanger made a rectangle and curved it to fit the receiver, added a open ended rectangle with ears to attach it to the scope mount. I bent the end out that is on the top of the curved piece to hold open the bag so brass isn't bounced back into the action. Then used a heavy cotton fabric to make the bag. It has to be a natural fabric, synthetics melt on the hot brass.

Brownells has a couple of nice commercial units:
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=brass+catcher/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=brass_catcher

i saw the one made by 3 BUCC INC. a couple of weeks ago at the range...it was by far the best set up i have seen yet.....it even has a velcro bottom to empty it.

Ron

Offline BobLeeSwagger223

• Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #3 on: 09:10 AM, 10/03/10 »
  • Yes the 3BUCC is the best by far! It's the only one I would consider for the DPMS I just bought.  The cool part is it's easily taken on or off too.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=6119/pid=1541/sku/AR_15_AR_10_Flat_Top_Brass_Catcher_Black

Not the cheapest just the best IMHO.  Hope that helps

Offline itchyTF

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+20)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 11:40 AM, 10/08/10 »
  • I vote for the 3 BUCC also.  The year before I bought it, I lost 130 cases in PD land.  Since buying it I only lost one case (I forgot to put it on!!).  It's a nice design with easy on & off.  I bought an extra delrin mounting block so I can swap the bag between 2 uppers.  Works great.

Online jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+180)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    « Reply #5 on: 09:37 PM, 10/10/10 »
  • A big cardboard box next to you.The snap-on plastic catchers work real well but they mark up the finish on your gun.The bags dont work for beans.That 3bucc looks like the best design yet.I am gonna buy one and try it.
    « Last Edit: 09:39 PM, 10/10/10 by jonbearman »
    jon t lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline Steave

« Reply #6 on: 09:52 PM, 10/10/10 »
  • The thing about the 3BUCC that bothers me is that is has a bag, whereas the E&L is a rigid design.  I think I am probably going to give the E&L a try.

Offline trentalan34

• Trade Count: (+5)
    « Reply #7 on: 11:41 PM, 10/10/10 »
  • I saw a guy at the range the other day that had rigged up an old fishing net on a wood base to catch brass. Not very portable, but it was effective.

Offline itchyTF

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+20)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 12:40 PM, 10/12/10 »
  • Steave,

Why do you feel a bag is not the way to go?  The internal frame keeps the upper part fairly rigid.

Offline rbertalotto

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    « Reply #9 on: 07:32 PM, 10/12/10 »
  • I built this unit. It works awesome and nothing attaches to the rifle

RoyB
    Dartmouth, MA

Offline Steave

« Reply #10 on: 01:25 AM, 10/14/10 »
  • Steave,

Why do you feel a bag is not the way to go?  The internal frame keeps the upper part fairly rigid.

Years ago I shot a friends AR that had a brass catcher attached that used a bag, the way the bag swung drove me crazy.  Also, I have shot an AR with the E&L and it didn't bother me.

I ended up getting a GREAT deal on the E&L.  I had an unopened E&L brass catcher for an AK, no clue where it came from, I've never even thought about loading 7.62X39, I obviously ended up with it from a gun deal of some sort.  Anyway, I called E&L told them what I had, I didn't buy it and had no idea how old it was and asked them if they would allow me any credit towards a brass catcher for a flat top AR, I was honestly hoping for $10 credit or so.  They told me to send it to them along with $8 for shipping and they'd send me a new brass catcher, can't beat that deal with a stick!

Offline TnTom

« Reply #11 on: 09:29 PM, 11/19/10 »
  • By now you may have resolved the problem but I got around the issue of finding brass without a grass catcher.

In match shooting your not allowed to use one and believe me if you want the shooter next to you to put you on his S^&% list just drop 20 rds of hot brass on him while he's trying to get his 20 rds off on target in 22 minutes with out being distracted.

Remove the ejector spring and remove coils and the brass will drop to your side. Remove too many coils and it wont eject. Its advisable to get a spare or two just in case. It works like a champ.

With the improved consistency of hand loads you can lay your brass within a 12" circle 2' to your side and pick up every one in a moment. At the end of a match you don't have a lot of time to hunt for brass, the next heat is coming to the line to set up and you have to get your gear out of the way.

Even if you don't match shoot it eliminates the need for some contraption hanging off your gun.

I don't recall how many coils to remove or the finished length but its only 2or3 if I remember right. do a search and it will pop up somewhere. I used a fine grinding wheel to shorten the spring. Remember your only shortening a little so no need to worry about getting it hot.

It works really well. Hope this helps.
    « Last Edit: 09:31 PM, 11/19/10 by TnTom »

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.