Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Repeater vs. Single shot- Measurable accuracy difference?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline AndyW

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
How much accuracy does a repeater give up over the same action with a solid bottom?

I am going to be building a 6.5-284 and am contemplating between a repeater and single shot. I will be mostly be shooting long range steel, but can't rule out the odd long range coyote or deer. The thought of a single shot does not bother me for open country medium/long range hunting. This gun will have a sendero/varmint contour and finish up around 12 lbs.

Anyone out there hunt with a single shot bolt?

Offline TerryPohl

• Trade Count: (+1)
If all you are going to do is hunt with it you more then likly will not notice the differance. The only proublem you may run into is the fit in the mag. I shoot both single shot and repeater's, but most of my repeaters the bullets are seated out so far that if I can use it as such it is just one in the mag. Terry Pohl
Terry Pohl

Online Steve Blair

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Ace Member
In order to use the 6.5-284 effectively as a repeater, you will need a long action. I seat Sierra 142 MKs at 3.175.
Sleepygator

Offline dmickey

• Trade Count: (+2)
The advantage of a single-shot action over a repeater is that the singe-shot does not have a cut-out for the magazine.  This allows it to be stiffer.  You do not have this advantage in converting a repeater into a single-shot.  The action will still have the cut-out. 
Dennis Mickey @ Littlestown, Pennsylvania

Online Steve Blair

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Ace Member
The advantage of a single-shot action over a repeater is that the singe-shot does not have a cut-out for the magazine.  This allows it to be stiffer.  You do not have this advantage in converting a repeater into a single-shot.  The action will still have the cut-out.

It looks like the OP understands the characteristic differences; the question was whether the difference is measurable. My answer is a unequivocal, maybe. It would depend upon the application, stock/chassis, barrel/chambering, etc. In a full-race target gun, yes. In a wood stock, sporter weight rifle, probably no.
Sleepygator

Offline DOGCAPPER

• Trade Count: (+6)
When I hunted, I used falling block single shot only....Take 5 seconts longer and make the first shot....Remember if you miss with the first shot, you do not deserve a second..

LT
Patti L Taylor

Offline AndyW

• Site $$ Contributor
Thanks for the input, ordered a repeater.
« Last Edit: 03:11 PM, 09/21/10 by AndyW »

Offline people

• Ace Member
In the BR word does it really matter either?  Some of the new actions have ports cut on both sides of the action.  Load from one side eject from the other.  I would think each action has about the same ammount of material removed.  This is excluding the actions with just one port and a solid bottom.
They say “I am pro hunter.”  Means they do not care about your handguns or your AR-15.
They say “I am progun but why do you have to have a 15 or 30 rd mag.” They are antigun.
Are you progun or antigun?

Offline LHSmith

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Ace Member
In the BR word does it really matter either?  Some of the new actions have ports cut on both sides of the action.  Load from one side eject from the other.  I would think each action has about the same ammount of material removed.  This is excluding the actions with just one port and a solid bottom.

I would say it does matter in real world BR. The customs have a larger OD, and the ports are micro-ports...they are kept to the absolute minimum in size and are placed 180* apart. It is nowhere near the metal removal done on a factory repeater......Remington 700's have a mere strip of metal remaining between the port and mag well.

Offline people

• Ace Member
ok I got you.  I was thinking it was having a closed bottom would allow you to bed the whole bottom of the receiver.  I did not even think about how much clearance there was.  I was only thinking on how much metal was removed for ports.  My main game is long range tactical / hunting.  Most of those rifles are pretty loose.  As grit will stop you pretty fast if you had a tight rifle.
They say “I am pro hunter.”  Means they do not care about your handguns or your AR-15.
They say “I am progun but why do you have to have a 15 or 30 rd mag.” They are antigun.
Are you progun or antigun?

Offline JERRYHM

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Repeater vs. Single shot- Measurable accuracy difference?
« Reply #10 on: 04:19 PM, 09/23/10 »
  • All of single shot rifles that gave up a lot to this repeater!

http://www.6mmbr.com/600nbrsa08.html

Offline camac

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: 04:38 PM, 09/23/10 »
  • All of single shot rifles that gave up a lot to this repeater!

http://www.6mmbr.com/600nbrsa08.html

Short, sweet and well said Jerry. A well built repeater can be mad out of heavy material and have minimal cut out as well. Some of the single column feed designs only have a "port" (differentiated from microport) size hole and are very stiff and work well.

A few things to consider when looking at a repeater. Look at the cutout sizes and the "bulk" of receiver material. Some are cut out so far and completely open on top that they must flex like mad. The savage LRPV repeater (not the small tenon ones but target with closed top) and Tikka repeaters are good factory examples with small cutout areas. The LRPV is also bedded in and aluminum bed running full length under action. This arguably helps stiffen the action effect as well. A non factory repeater that looks very stiff is the Surgeon models with inbuilt picattinny rail. This helps stiffen them immensely and I would think they will shine.

Offline Color me gone

« Reply #12 on: 07:45 PM, 09/23/10 »
  • Every Hunter and Varmint Hunter Class BR rifle has a cut out for the magazine (inoperable, though it may be) and these rifles give up nothing to the Varmint For Score rifles. For your hunting rifle you can screw in the action rather than glue it if the glue concerns you. The biggest problem in a long cartridge may be OAL seating length and magazine fit but that too can be overcome.

Offline camac

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: 08:18 PM, 09/23/10 »
  • I agree but I also think the size and twist of the cartridge you put behind it makes a difference for that. There is a lot of torque put on by some of the big rifles on fast twist barrels but the PPC with low twist rate has a lot less.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #14 on: 04:15 PM, 09/25/10 »

Based on my poor memory of a telephone conversation with Bob Greenleaf, senior engineer at Savage for thirty years and the driving force of their first 110 single-shot bolt action (112V Series J)...

Asked Greenleaf, a frequent contributor to Precision Shooting, about the improved accuracy of the Savage single-shot model versus the repeater 110 family of rifles. 

Greenleaf said he was disappointed in the actual accuracy improvement of the single-shot over the repeater.

Savage shoots every rifle for group before it leaves the factory.

He said that over the many years of production, he could see no difference in the accuracy of the single-shot model versus the repeater 110 family.

Y'all might recall that the early single-shot Savage stocks did not have a magazine cut-out.

I have several single-shot Savages as well as repeaters.  I can't swear to an improvement either.

This may not predict other actions and their performance.

« Last Edit: 04:25 PM, 09/25/10 by Hammer »

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.