Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284  (Read 15328 times)

Offline ozzy454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
« on: 02:21 PM, 09/18/10 »
  • I am new here and looking at the creedmoor and 6.5-284. Any and all thoughts or info re what is best, or works best.....or is there even a best? Thank you...ozzy

Offline nhm16

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+8)
    6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #1 on: 02:25 PM, 09/18/10 »
  • What are you going to use the gun for? The Creedmore is more comparable to the .260 Rem. and the 6.5x47 Lapua than the 6.5x284. The Creedmore seems to be especially suited for semi-autos.

Here's a good article on the three: http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

Offline ozzy454

• Basic Member
    6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #2 on: 03:58 PM, 09/18/10 »
  • I am looking for a long range deer, antelope, sheep, hunting rifle mainly. Thank you for the referenced article!

Offline MTM

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+17)
    • Ace Member
    6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #3 on: 04:38 PM, 09/18/10 »
  • 6.5/284 will give you superior velocity by 200 fps or so. Useful barrel life for me has been around 900-1000 rounds so far. Still shooting .5 moa or so but has opened up a bit after 800 rounds. 6.5 Creedmore/Lapua/etc. should last quite a bit longer. For a hunting rig you may not ever see the round count that High Power competitors see.
    watercam

Offline ozzy454

• Basic Member
    6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #4 on: 05:09 PM, 09/18/10 »
  • Ok, very good point. I appreciate the info, thank you.

Offline jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+189)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #5 on: 08:19 PM, 09/18/10 »
  • The 6.5 creedmore is very gentle on barrels but for long shots on sheep the 6.5x284 would be ok.Most hunters go with the magnums because of downrange terminal ballistis.The .300 wsm is good all around and you can use it in a short action and have a very handy light hunting rifle. If you dont like the heavy recoil then have a gunsmith install a jp enterprise muzzle brake because they work.They are ugly to most because they are patterned after a tank brake,however they reduce felt recoil alot making the .300wsm a kitten.This way you will have a powerful,handy,accurategun with all the power to humanely dispatch game with one shot kills. The 6.5x284 is a wonderful accurate cartridge but with a .30 caliber you can hunt anything on the continent.
    Jon  Lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline cfvickers

6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #6 on: 09:39 PM, 09/18/10 »
  • Downrange ballistics on the 6.5-284 will be great with a 140 grain bullet and you will get longer barrel life than the BR shooters that tend to stand up and say it is hard on them.  BR shooters, as I have said in other posts, fire longer strings of shots with far less cool down time between strings.  As the barrels heat up every shot fired does exponentially more damage than the last.  Ifyou hold it to 3 shot strings and allow a full cool down between 3 shot strings, your barrel life will be extended a great deal over 900-1000 rounds.  Data manuals are written generally 8-10% below max with the 6.5-284 according to Walt Berger, and you can expect to achieve far more velocity than the manuals would suggest.  There is a lot of data out there for this cartridge if you look for it that will better show it's capability.  In a manual it is comparable to a 6.5x55 or a .260 but in reality it is closer to a 264 WM than it is to a 260 rem, or a creedmore. You can easily achieve 3100 FPS with a 140 gr. bullet without getting pressure signs, and I have seen 3200 with mine, with beginning pressure signs (primers starting to crater).  You CAN get well beyond 3200 but your brass life will be thoroughly cut down.  A 140 grain projectile with over a .550 BC launched at 3100 FPS will have only about 15 ft-lbs less energy than a 180 .308 launched at 3000 fps.  They seem pretty close, and if you want to get into real terminal ballistics the 140 6.5 bullet will have a slightly higher sectional density indicating that it SHOULD penetrate slightly better especially considering impact velocity will be higher with the 6.5.  .30s are cool and I like them, but science and experience says that they are no more capable at any range (1000 yards and under) than the 6.5 with less than a 200 grain bullet.  Also the 180 .308 bullet will have fallen well below optimum impact velocity for just about any bullet made by the time it gets to 800 yards., it may not open up.  And with a 6.5 you can hunt anything but brown bears and I wouldn't hunt that with a .30 either.  Their is nothing you can do with a .30 that you cannot do just as well and with better efficiency with a 6.5.  You can hunt anything from prairie dogs to bull moose with a 6.5-284 and they are well proven.  A 300wsm will not make any animal fall down any quicker. 
    A 6.5-284 is powerful, accurate, and handy, and can humanely dispatch game just as quickly as any 300.  I have killed deer with a .300 win mag as with my 6.5s and I have had more deer run after being hit with a 190-200 grain 30 than with a 130-140 6.5.  I have only witnessed one deer of probably 15-20 take more than two steps after being hit with any of my 6.5s.  4 of 6 have run a good distance after being hit with the .300 wm.  bigger doesn't always mean better.
    JonBearman, I didn't write this as any sort of insult or to attempt to undermine your opinion, I simply want to offer an opposite opinion that I have researched and is based on facts as I know them along with my own experience and that of others.   

Offline Josh11

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+25)
    • Ace Member
    6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #7 on: 09:43 PM, 09/18/10 »
  • I have never shot a deer or anything big for that matter with a rifle, but shot placement is key imo.  With that being said, all rounds listed would be great for hunting.  If i were to go with a hunting round and had a short action already, I would do 260.  Also if I didnt shoot 1000 rounds in 3 or 4 years, I would go 6.5x284.  But here is something else, what about just the .284 win?  You get a bigger bullet and speed also with better barrel life.  Everytime I watch hunting on versus, they use a mag round. such as 270 wsm or 300 wsm. 
    Josh

Offline RonAKA

• Ace Member
    6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #8 on: 10:01 PM, 09/18/10 »
  • I would go with the 6.5-284. Great cartridge. I've got .264WM's and you really do not need all that extra powder capacity. The 6.5-284 can produce almost the same velocities with 10 grains less powder and barrel burning heat. The BC's of the 6.5mm bullets are better than the larger calibers and produce better down range terminal energy. Great long range target and hunting cartridge. You can get Lapua and Norma brass for it.
    "I have not failed 10,000 times. I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work." - Thomas Edison

Offline 15Tango

• Ace Member
    6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #9 on: 05:07 PM, 09/19/10 »
  • I'm not trying to take everything away from .30 calibers as such have mentioned but good luck getting a .30 caliber in the same sectional density and ballistic coefficient as a 6.5 AND up to the same speed. To match the BC of a .264" 140 VLD you've got to run up into the 220 grain class for a .30 and you're not getting that up to 3100 FPS without a large cartridge and triple the recoil.

I've got a 6.5 Creedmoor and with Lapua brass I ran 140 Amax and 140 VLDs up to 3130FPS with R17 but it was hard getting single digit SD, that speed wasn't attainable with the Hornady brass. You can get 6.5-284 speeds out of it if you wish but you need to run the right brass. I suspect Norma 6XC brass would also do well in that role.

The Creedmoor is silly easy to reload for and get single digit ES doing normal case prep and using the right powder primer combination. I'm currently running H4350 and Wolf primers and downtuned my loads back down to 2900 FPS with a 140 and I'm getting better numbers and accuracy.

The 6.5-284 is great but the Creedmoor [can] match the performance of it albeit while hard on brass but it also does it in a short action with much better barrel life of 3-4000 rounds give or take.

Wayne
    Selling gun gear off to buy camera equipment.

Offline cfvickers

6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #10 on: 03:48 AM, 09/20/10 »
  • Creedmore brass is considerably cheaper.  I have noticed that.

Offline mikecr

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #11 on: 10:40 AM, 09/20/10 »
  • The 6.5-284 is great but the Creedmoor [can] match the performance of it albeit while hard on brass but it also does it in a short action with much better barrel life of 3-4000 rounds give or take

I love to hear a basis for any of this...
    Wouldn't it seem that anything done with one cartridge can be done moreso with a larger version of it? That's pretty much been my experience..
    And who has proven that running EXTREME pressures, with very HOT powders, provides for longer barrel life?

Offline 15Tango

• Ace Member
    6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #12 on: 01:29 PM, 09/20/10 »
    I love to hear a basis for any of this...
    Wouldn't it seem that anything done with one cartridge can be done moreso with a larger version of it? That's pretty much been my experience..
    And who has proven that running EXTREME pressures, with very HOT powders, provides for longer barrel life?

I'm sure you could run 140s up past 3100 with a 6.5-284 if you want to go on the basis of overrunning cartridges past book on extreme pressures you're already doing that with the 6.5-284 with a 140 at 3100 as well. The fastest velocity Hodgdon data has is 2895 FPS while the 6.5 CM and .260 Rem. both have listed velocities of 2800. The 6.5-284 enjoys only a 100 FPS advantage over the 6.5CM or .260, I mention the .260 because it provides nearly identical ballistics as the 6.5 CM. Truth is you can get a 140 class to 3100 FPS with the 6.5 CM or .260 Rem. from my experience and that of the people I know running the .260 Rem.

The 6.5CM, .260 Rem. and 6.5-284 can and do run the same group of powders, typically H4350, R17, H4831 - the medium, medium slow and slow powders so the argument that the 6.5-284 is using a somehow colder powder is false. The amount of powder burned to bore diameter ratio is a larger factor in bore life, take the .308 Win. VS the .243 Win. - they're the same cartridge just a different bore diameter - which has better barrel life?

Does the 6.5-284 have a slight speed advantage over the Creedmoor? Yes, albeit small. Does the Creedmoor offer longer barrel life in a short action with less recoil and is it more economical as far as  cost of brass, barrels and powder consumption? Yes.

Wayne
    Selling gun gear off to buy camera equipment.

Offline mikecr

• Ace Member
    6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #13 on: 06:42 PM, 09/20/10 »
  • Does the 6.5-284 have a slight speed advantage over the Creedmoor? Yes, albeit small
    Great debate, but I think you're wrong here(and I knew you'd go here).

The creedmore is very close to the 6.5x47L H20 capacity..
    6.5x47L= 51gr
    .260 =55gr
    6.5x284 Norma = 66gr
    It is pure delusional to believe these smaller capacity cartridges can 'nearly match' 6.5x284 potential velocities with the same weight bullets.. NO WAY
    And if you run 70kpsi with a mighty mouse, the same could be done with the 6.5x284,, again tromping you.
    If accuracy is achieved at some node to barrel length formula on one, it can be done with another. In fact, those downloading their 6.5x284s for ~2950 nodes may simply be using the wrong barrel lengths to move their nodes upward.

In a 6.5x284, 140vld just touching lands, 28" barrel, I could get ~3170fps using ~56gr Norma MRP at 102% fill and a  rational 60kpsi.
    I don't have a RL17 file, but all equal and H4350 drops it to 3055fps, and H4831 to 3033fps(not the best powder choices for this cartridge).

Without changing anything but capacity and running 'what-ifs' in QL I get for highest 60kpsi 102%fill velocities:
    .260 = 2967fps, 46gr ADI-2209
    6.5x47L = 2910fps, 43.4gr ADI-2209
    H4350 & H4831 are both rediculously wrong for theses cartridges as well..

In order to reach the easy 6.5x284 3170fps with your mighty mouse, you'd need to vibra-pack in 43.5gr RL15 for 94kpsi!!!!!!
    And settle with a barrel life of ONE...

I shoot a 6.5WSSM IMP which basically matches a 260AI in capacity(57gr). I can get 140s singin sweet, but would never pretend to match 6.5x284 potential. That's pure silly.

Offline mikecr

• Ace Member
    6.5 Creedmoor VS 6.5-284
    « Reply #14 on: 07:51 PM, 09/20/10 »
  • The amount of powder burned to bore diameter ratio is a larger factor in bore life, take the .308 Win. VS the .243 Win. - they're the same cartridge just a different bore diameter - which has better barrel life?

In a general sense this holds up, I agree.
    However, a significant qualifier according to Ken Howell, is pressure, and timing. And there is no doubt in my mind that I could burn out a 223 in one sitting.
    I anxiously await competitive barrel life results(not dreams) for the mighty mouses.
    Until then I've started a 6PPC barrel life thread at BRC to see what a non-barrel burner does at the pressures you're implying for Creedmore performance.
    They didn't always run such high pressures, and to begin 3600rnds was common from a 6ppc. Let's see how it goes today, just for fun:
    http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?71525-Barrel-life-of-6PPC&p=596027#post596027

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.