Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: powder for the 243 cal.?  (Read 3637 times)

Offline lonewolf5347

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
powder for the 243 cal.?
« on: 01:49 PM, 06/23/10 »
  • I have 2  243 cal. one gun loves Noslers BT 95 @ Hornady 100 gr.HPBT grain powder of choice IMR4350 40.9
    The same gun will tack drive sierras 85 gr. HPBT seem to favor IMR 3031
    My other 243 cal. seem to shoot the Noslers 95 gr.BT excellent : Hates the Hornady 100 gr.again loaded with IMR 4350.
    I was thinking in trying a new powder
    1st>choice IMR4064
    2st>  "       H4350
    any pro or cons on powder

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+10)
    • Ace Member
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #1 on: 07:47 PM, 06/23/10 »
  • Don't know about pros or cons but my .243 loves IMR 4064 with any bullet I load.  Not saying all bullets shoot well but they all shoot the best with IMR 4064.  22" barrel 9.25 twist.  Good luck, Matt. 

Offline cliffy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #2 on: 12:18 AM, 06/24/10 »
  • Regarding 100 grain premium bullets, about 43.4 grains of Hodgdon H4350 powder should put one at the MAX velocity regarding .243 Winnie-Pooh prowess.  IMR 4350 powder burns faster than H4350, so be aware of this fact: drop back about .4 grains to duplicate H4350 performance.  Faster means more instant pressure within one's barrel.  I prefer slightly slower pressure build-up, but that's just me, regarding .243 Winchester power.  Cliffy 
    Cliff O. Pliml, NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Offline Joe O

powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #3 on: 05:08 AM, 06/24/10 »
  • Check the Hodgdon site for load data.I have had good results with H4831SC,H414,and WW760,out of my 243,and also the AI loads,after fireforming.
    Ciao
    Joe O

Offline juliomorris

• Trade Count: (+8)
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #4 on: 10:15 PM, 06/24/10 »
  • I have good results with IMR4350 with 95 and 105 grainers, but with the lighter 80's I use h4831. I also use RL25 with DTAC 115gr. I use wolf and FGMM primers with about equal results.

Offline .243Hitman

• Basic Member
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #5 on: 10:11 PM, 06/27/10 »
  • All I shoot is IMR powder, can't go wrong with it.  4064, 3031, 7828ssc.  Pick one and enjoy
    Reach out and touch'em

Offline WyleWD

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Ace Member
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #6 on: 04:01 PM, 07/06/10 »
  • My 243 likes the 4064, but the 4064 is awful coarse and doesn't always drop consistent weights (at least for me it doesn't).  So I'd recommend that you have your scale set up right and weigh each charge if you're using 4064, and especially if you are going to try to shoot near max loads. 

I went the easier route and found that N-550, WW760, either of the 4350's, and R-17 got more consistent drop weights and equal if not better performance.  Just my experience with it. WD

Offline superlight93

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+69)
    • Ace Member
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #7 on: 05:47 PM, 07/06/10 »
  • Try a compressed load of IMR 4831 with Federal 210M primers. Also try seating the bullets into the lands at least .005"

Offline cliffy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #8 on: 11:00 PM, 07/06/10 »
  • Scale-weighing each powder load hurts nothing, and gives a warm-fuzzy feeling of security and consistant accuracy.  With some discretion, I use Alliant RL-15 powder up to 80 grain fare.  From 85 to 100 grain, I prefer Hodgdon H4350, and with 105 grainers from Speer, Alliant RL-22 is my powder of choice.  Powder burn-rates are truly important factors regarding developing top-performing loads.  Thus far, I've not blown my head off, and intend to keep it that way.  No "Tricks" are involved regarding handloading.  However, one learns as one gains experience.  The powders I've listed work well for my Remington 700 with 24" barrel.  Always crimp your bullets. Cliffy 
    Cliff O. Pliml, NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Offline LHSmith

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+18)
    • Ace Member
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #9 on: 09:46 AM, 07/07/10 »
  • Quote from: cliffy   Always crimp your bullets. Cliffy
    [/quote

Oh boy, here we go again....another cliffyism.

Offline Ackman

• Trade Count: (-2)
    • Ace Member
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #10 on: 10:01 AM, 07/07/10 »
  •   Always crimp your bullets. Cliffy

Absolutely not true.

Offline superlight93

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+69)
    • Ace Member
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #11 on: 10:03 AM, 07/07/10 »
  • Bullet crimping is only necessary for pistol ammo.

Offline wapiti25

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+51)
    • Ace Member
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #12 on: 10:00 AM, 07/09/10 »
  • I will not crimp for a bolt gun, may as well go to wal-mart and buy their rejects.

Offline wapiti25

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+51)
    • Ace Member
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #13 on: 10:02 AM, 07/09/10 »
  • cliffy, do you neck turn Lapua brass before you crimp?

Offline JohnnyJohnson

• Trade Count: (+33)
    powder for the 243 cal.?
    « Reply #14 on: 02:34 PM, 07/09/10 »
  • I've had very good results with 4350 in the bullet wieght you mention. But lately IMR 7828 SC  seems to have done a little better
    NRA Life Time Member
    NBRSA

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.