Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Redding 6br Rem. for a 6br norma (lapua brass)  (Read 1860 times)

Offline fieldratsniper

• Trade Count: (0)
alright guys, ive got something i want to confirm.

the redding 6br dies are for the 6br remington.  now from what i can remember, the 6br norma has a longer neck.  so, if i just make sure to keep the seating die high (threaded out), i shouldnt have a problem with the case mouth hitting the "crimp ring" of the seating die.....right?

i just wanted to make sure that i will be okay using the redding dies(most of my dies are redding and i like them a lot). 

are there any differences between the BR remington vs. the BR norma other than the norma having the longer neck?

thanks guys,
Jermy

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Ace Member
Redding 6br Rem. for a 6br norma (lapua brass)
« Reply #1 on: 06:34 AM, 05/22/10 »
  • Jermy: If the label on your Redding die set box has the number 77317 shown in the lower right corner, it is for a "standard" Norma chambering, not the older, and seldom chambered now Remington. I have the identical Type S bushing style full sizing die. Just use it as you would normally, no need to screw it out! This is a problem the manufacturers are adding to by not identifying the die sets (among other things) properly and it only contributes to the confusion. I see no reason why this die should not be labeled 6BR Norma, or 6BR Norma/Lapua. Forget the Remington! ;) p.s.: I don't believe you will find a crimp ring in the die.
    « Last Edit: 06:36 AM, 05/22/10 by fdshuster »
    Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Offline jerrschmitt

« Reply #2 on: 09:39 AM, 05/22/10 »
  • My Redding S Neck sizer has the number 71317 and my F.L. die set has the number 80317.  Both are marked for 6MM B.R. Remington but are dimensioned for 6MM B.R. Norma.  Not sure but I don't think there is a crimp ring in the seating die.

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 12:41 PM, 05/22/10 »
  • jerrschmitt: Exactly what I'm getting at: There is no reason to continue to identify 6BR die sets with the "Remington" name, yet Redding, Forster and most others continue to do just that. This confusion has been going on for years, right on this site, and they continue to supply this "mis-information". There is probably someone out there, somewhere who recently had a chamber cut to the Remington specs., but the vast majority of 6BR chambers are being cut to the Norma dimensions. Even at that, if a chamber is cut to Norma, Remington brass could still be used without any problems. Just one of the things that make me go ???

Offline fieldratsniper

« Reply #4 on: 04:02 PM, 05/22/10 »
  • i have not purchased dies yet.  ive had good results using neck dies, so i was planning on trying these out.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=145611

notice the notes at the bottom of the product information section.

i guess i should have posted this link earlier.

thanks,
    Jeremy

Offline Robby

• Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 04:07 PM, 05/23/10 »
  • Jermy,  A couple of weeks ago received my Redding Type S-Match Die Set no. 36317.  This is labeled 6MM B.R. Remington, but is also shown in the latest Sinclaire catalog as Norma BR in parenthesis.  Hopefully what I got is the right set of dies for my new Savage.
    Robby

Offline fieldratsniper

« Reply #6 on: 06:05 PM, 05/23/10 »
  • Jermy,  A couple of weeks ago received my Redding Type S-Match Die Set no. 36317.  This is labeled 6MM B.R. Remington, but is also shown in the latest Sinclaire catalog as Norma BR in parenthesis.  Hopefully what I got is the right set of dies for my new Savage.

did you get a savage target rifle or a LRPV?  post some pics....and i want to know how it shoots!

i got my LRPV when they first came out. i shoot the 75gr amax in it (223) and it shoot awesome!  i wish they would have had the 6br offered in that rifle back then  >:(

Offline Robby

• Basic Member
    « Reply #7 on: 08:13 PM, 05/23/10 »
  • Fieldratsniper - I bought a new Savage model 12 dual-port LRPV in 6mm Norma BR. It comes with a 12" twist, not the 1 in 8". I plan on trying some of my 68 gr. BTHP that I bought from  Bruno about 15 years ago, then I'll try some 80 gr FB Fowlers.

Looks like I have a lot to learn about this caliber as I always used RCBS competition dies for my .222, .223 and .243, and now I find myself using a set of Redding Type S dies. Don't know anything about bushings, but now need to learn.
    Robby

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 08:22 PM, 05/23/10 »
  • Robby: Using out of the box Lapua brass, your loaded neck diameter will be .269", plus or minus a few ten thousandths. The starting point for bushing size is .267", but if ordering you may also want to go one "up" and one "down", .266" and .268". If you control your sizing (not pushing the shoulder(s) back, you'll be amazed how many reloads you will get out of the brass. I've got some Lapua that has 27 to 29 loadings on them (I keep a count of # of times reloaded), and primer pockets are tight, and have never yet thrown one away.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.