Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: zeiss conquest 6.5- 20 rapid z 800 vs leupold 8.5-25 vx 3 varmint hunters ret.?  (Read 2193 times)

Offline fordwrench

• Trade Count: (+19)
in anyones honest opinion which scope would be better suited to long range varminting and some limited bench work? this would be used on a med weight walking varminter rem 700 6.5x47 lupua , 123-140 class bullets
« Last Edit: 02:19 PM, 04/01/10 by fordwrench »

Offline fordwrench

was looking at nightforce np2 reticle i think. its just a guess on where my extended bullet drop impacts would be? sightron looks good also i guess im limited on reticle choices.

Offline big eddie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Basic Member
I have a Lupe with a varminter rectical and would not use anything else, unless it is a nightforce with a np-r1 rectical  . The lines are much easier to see by to place your shoot at any distense. But that is just my $0.02
NRA life member

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • Ace Member
I have a Zeiss 6.5-20x 50mm "Conquest", and considered it my top-of-the-line rifle scope until I just got my first Nightforce 12-42x BR, all I can say is WOW! p.s.: the Zeiss and my Leupold's are now relagated to second class "citizenship". ;D
Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Offline SooStan

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
I have a Zeiss 6.5-20x 50mm "Conquest", and considered it my top-of-the-line rifle scope until I just got my first Nightforce 12-42x BR, all I can say is WOW! p.s.: the Zeiss and my Leupold's are now relagated to second class "citizenship". ;D
After I got the night force I sold the Zeiss.  I came to the  same conclusion.  Zeiss was nicer then my Lupy Mk4 but the turrents turn opposite of the Night Force and Lupy.  I got tired of making the wrong adjustments when in a hurry.
« Last Edit: 03:27 PM, 04/04/10 by SooStan »
Stan Beishline

Offline fordwrench

how is that npr1 reticle designed to be used/ i guess im just hung up on the hold over reticles. im worried of losing my orignal zero from dialing elevation changes too much. i have never owned either and would like to by the best i can . i can only buy one... {poor}

Offline sscoyote

I have a 3.5-15x NXS with NP-R1 reticle and it's just fine. Reticle reference for long-range shooting is just based on where your bullet impacts along the MOA reticle stadia lines. No different than any ballistic reticle really besides the fact that it doesn't add up to even hundred-yd. intervals--as designed at least.
Steve

Offline maverick2

• Basic Member
If you don't opt for the Nightforce, I'd go with the Zeiss 6.5-20 with the Varmint Z reticle (rather than the Z-800).  I just received a 4.5-14 Zeiss with the Z-800 for the same type of shooting you do, and once I opened it and looked thru it, suspect the reticle will be too heavy for long range varmint work or bench rest shooting.  I had not looked thru a Z-800 prior to that (only a Varmint Z) and was surprised at the reticle thickness once it was in hand.  After talking with Zeiss reps, I learned the Z-800 was designed more for big game and as such, set up with a reticle thickness that would be easy to pick up in low light.  The Varmint Z reticle (and I believe the Z-1000 as well) have reticle thicknesses geared toward what you want to do (less than half the thickness of the Z-800).  I found Zeiss reps great to deal with, and their ballistic calculator program allows you to match pretty closely the etched ballistic lines of the scope with the specific ballistics of your particular rifle and load.  This is my second Zeiss Conquest, and I find myself preferring the Zeiss over Leupold.  Only downside the Zeiss might have is the lesser amount of elevation adjustment when compared to the Leupold, but use of the ballistic holdover lines should negate that anyway.

Offline HEAD0001

• Basic Member
Both scopes are great quality scopes.  Neither one will let you down. I own both, and both serve me well.  No real noticeable difference in the quality.  Especially if you are looking at the new VX-3 and not the old VXIII.

Nf scopes are also good scopes.  But I do not believe the glass is any better in the NF.  I would give the best glass edge to the Zeiss, but only slightly.  For the shooting you described I personally do not believe you will notice any difference.

If you are going to drive nails then buy the NF.  No doubt it is a heavier built scope.  But you give up a lot for that ruggedness.  Like excess weight, and a bunch more $100 bills.  As I said the NF is a great scope, but not necessary for what you described.  And it will be a bit detrimental if you use the rifle as a "walking varminter". 

IMO the Rapid Z reticle is a bit cluttered.  I like the Leupold VH reticle a little bit better.  And obviously the NF reticles are great, as long as you can live with the NF down falls of weight and substantial additional pricing.  Tom.
WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.