Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: External scope adjusters  (Read 901 times)

Offline StraightPipes

• Trade Count: (0)
External scope adjusters
« on: 10:31 PM, 03/28/10 »
  • I have decided to look into the world of the "external scope adjustment systems".   Ivey, Buckeys and some others. The variants of the "Unertl" that are produced today have caught my eye.

Bob Brackney builds a system that Beggs has used, U.S.Optics builds a variant used on the SN-9. The u.s.o. aft portion is "a big one" to consider. Are there any photos of the Brackney system somewhere in the shooting world?  I would like to see a close up of Mr. Brackneys before calling him.

These are what I have found to date, are there others that anyone cares to suggest?

Offline BoydAllen

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+9)
    • Ace Member
    External scope adjusters
    « Reply #1 on: 11:20 PM, 03/28/10 »
  • There ya go.
    http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/beggs-develops-radical-rig-in-west-texas-tunnel/
    Bob mechanically ( and reversibly) freezes Leupold competition series Benchrest scopes and mounts them in an external adjustable ring setup that features compressed rubber of some sort between the scope and front ring as a means of achieving a reliable, on slop, pivot system. His adjusters come in more than one style, but I believe all use 40 threads per inch. This past weekend at Visalia Dennis Thornbury ran away from the pack with a .15xx agg. shooting his heavy at 100 yds. He was using one of Bob's setups.   

Offline StraightPipes

External scope adjusters
    « Reply #2 on: 01:19 AM, 03/29/10 »
  • Thank you Mr.Allen.   From what I can find, the rear mount on most of the Unertl variants is "one piece" . Meaning that it might be typical to have to remove the ocular assembly from the main tube to install the adjusters and the mount.  The mount cannot be split and reassembled like a standard ring, yes?
       Brackneys mount must be installed while being part of the scope freezing package, before the eye box is installed? Or am I missing something?  If this is the case, let me ask another question. I "will" attempt the removal of my ocular assembly, just wondering what parts (internal) will go flying?

You see, I will stop at nothing to try something new. But, I dont know what is housed at this end of the scope. Could it be as easy as unscrewing the assembly  and "not" disturbing any of the erector assembly?  My first attempt will be on a "fixed" , not a variable scope.

So, is the Brackney mount one piece?  Can the micrometers be removed and leave enough area to pass the scope through?

Anyone care to lead the blind, just jump in here!

Offline BoydAllen

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    External scope adjusters
    « Reply #3 on: 08:39 AM, 03/29/10 »
  • First of all, I am only working from what I remember of what I was told. The fixed power Competition Series Leupolds use a system to tension the erector tube pivot that involves a lock ring loading a wave spring. I believe that when Bob freezes the scopes he adds a spacer so that the lock nut seats solidly, freezing the joint. Doing this requires removing the eyepiece, so the rear ring not being able to be split is not a problem. I would seriously think about buying the package, and having Bob do the entire job. Also, I would make sure that I had a problem before fixing it.

Offline Tozguy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    External scope adjusters
    « Reply #4 on: 08:44 PM, 03/29/10 »
  • I wonder if the pros use special dry gas when closing up a scope. If ambient air gets into the scope won't it risk fogging the lens. Should this be a deterrent for DIY scope work?

Offline StraightPipes

External scope adjusters
    « Reply #5 on: 12:16 AM, 03/30/10 »
  • Thats a good question to ask the shooters here that do the freeze/lock-up jobs. I dont think the gas purging / sealing could be applied here.  Most common is nitrogen I believe , and is used to displace atmosphere/ moisture before final assembly.
    « Last Edit: 12:19 AM, 03/30/10 by StraightPipes »

Offline BoydAllen

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    External scope adjusters
    « Reply #6 on: 12:33 AM, 03/30/10 »
  • I have heard of no reported problems of the sort you mention. Evidently it is not a big issue.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.