Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 6" light gun stock  (Read 2924 times)

Offline ewallace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
6" light gun stock
« on: 06:09 PM, 03/18/10 »
  • After building the 3" stock I looked at the IBS 1000 yard bench rest rules and found out that there was not a width limit and rails were allowed for a Light Gun stock. I set out to design a 6" version. I was thinking it should be offset also to help control torque and track straighter. I had a new 6.5mm 8.5t 1.250 HV taper Krieger barrel. I chambered the barrel for 6.5x284 this morning and bedded the stock. I am planing on putting a brake on the barrel later. Hopping for good weather for tomorrow so I can see how the new design tracks but it looks promising.

Here are the Pics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvUNwf5lPJk

« Last Edit: 09:23 AM, 03/22/10 by ewallace »

Offline Nodak7mm

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    • Ace Member
    • Team Lefse
    6" light gun stock
    « Reply #1 on: 07:37 PM, 03/18/10 »
  • Pretty cool looking rig there Crowmag!!  Good to see your still out there.

Did you glue up & mill up the stock yourself?  Sure like that wood..

Nodak7mm
    Life is to short for me to take myself too seriously.  I just try to have fun, try to make others smile, laugh at myself daily & really try learn from my mistakes!!  If this sounds way too fou-fou for you, loosen up ya tight a$$!!!

Rod Vigstol,  Fargo ND

Offline ewallace

• Basic Member
    6" light gun stock
    « Reply #2 on: 09:06 PM, 03/18/10 »
  • Pretty cool looking rig there Crowmag!!  Good to see your still out there.

Did you glue up & mill up the stock yourself?  Sure like that wood..

Nodak7mm

Sure did cant wait to shoot it in the morning

Offline jb1000br

• Global Moderator
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Ace Member
      • AccurateShooter.com
    6" light gun stock
    « Reply #3 on: 09:12 PM, 03/18/10 »
  • Eric,

Very cool.  Can't wait to see how it does!

Jason
    Jason Baney - Asst. Editor | www.6mmBR.com | AccurateShooter.com

Offline ewallace

• Basic Member
    6" light gun stock
    « Reply #4 on: 08:25 PM, 03/19/10 »
  • Eric,

Very cool.  Can't wait to see how it does!

Jason

Jason I got to shoot it today
    I got some time to shoot today. The wind was 10 to 15 with gusts to 24 mph good conditions to shoot in out to 500 yards. I was excited to take the new 6" SP stock for a test drive and at just under 17 pounds I think it needs a brake. First I had to brake in the barrel and get a 100 yard 0 so I set a box up at 100 yards and preceded to brake in the barrel shoot one and then clean for 3 shots that got boring when the 3 shots went into the same hole so I picked a rock at 300 yards and shot 5 2 shot strings with cleaning in between each set of shots. Now I have a partly broke in barrel to work with. I had a 20oz pop bottle at 200 yards a power aid bottle at 300 yards and a 1 gallon milk jug and a 20 oz pop bottle at 500 yards. I shot the bop bottle at 200 yards with the first shot. Some ballistic info for the 200 yard shot estimated velocity of 2900 fps and 2635 fps at target the time of flight is .217 Here is the shot at 200 yards.
        ]pop at 200 yards[/URL]

Then I shot the power aid bottle at 300 yards and moved to the milk jug at 500 yards maid the scope adjustments of 8.5 MOA up from a 100 yard O and put in 3.5 MOA for wind some ballistics info bullet left the muzzle at a estimated velocity of 2900 fps at target the velocity would be 2267 fps and the time of flight is .586 to the milk jug at 500 yards camera was set at 16 power

milk jug at 500 yards[/URL]

and here is the shot at the 20 oz pop bottle at 500 yards camera was set at 16 power

20 oz bottle at 500 yards

Then I took some vidio footage up close of the stock tracking

close up of stock tracking

after shooting I decided to put a brake on the 6.5x284 so off to the shop and threaded and timed a brake and back out to the field

I took my son shooting with me the brake made a big difference on recoil we were shooting at the same rock at 300 yards Cam just had his 10th birthday here is the video of cam shooting the 6.4x284 with 142g SMKs 51g H4831SC

cam shooting[/URL]

This is me shooting to compare with a brake if you listen close you can here the shots hitting rock just after the noise of the gun   :D

]with brake[/URL]

cam shooting up all my ammunition  :D ]more dad[/URL]
    « Last Edit: 12:01 PM, 03/20/10 by Moderator »

Offline Nodak7mm

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    • Ace Member
    • Team Lefse
    6" light gun stock
    « Reply #5 on: 08:34 AM, 03/20/10 »
  • Hey Crowmag,

Thanks for sharing the clips and the project.

Again, good to see you around again.

Your former neighbor,

Nodak7mm
    Life is to short for me to take myself too seriously.  I just try to have fun, try to make others smile, laugh at myself daily & really try learn from my mistakes!!  If this sounds way too fou-fou for you, loosen up ya tight a$$!!!

Rod Vigstol,  Fargo ND

Offline ewallace

• Basic Member
    6" light gun stock
    « Reply #6 on: 06:52 PM, 03/22/10 »
  • I did some load development today with some good results I shot 10 different seating depths and came up with a couple that worked good here is a link to the pics and me shooting the groups
    http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/nawakwawallace/?action=view&current=P1000873.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRSi7mTlfQk

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.