Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 6.5-55 swede  (Read 3210 times)

Offline LittleJeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
6.5-55 swede
« on: 10:19 PM, 03/03/10 »
  • I have heard a lot of good things about this cartridge, so I decided to get my 6.5 barrel chanbered for it. The rifle is a switch barrel rifle, my other caliberes are 300 WIN MAG and 270 WIN Ackley improved. The twist on the 6.5 barrel is 1-8.5, stainless Pac Nor supermatch 3 groove. I will be using Lapua cases and shooting 130-142gr. bullets. Anybody have any pet loads they would like to share?
    Little Jeff

Offline DukeDuke

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #1 on: 11:49 PM, 03/03/10 »
  • Great choice! As long as it's a postmodern action :D

Offline londonhunter

6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #2 on: 05:21 AM, 03/04/10 »
  • I shoot a sweede in Europe for hunting

in a single shot Blaser

Please be careful with data but here is my load

berger 140 VLD hunt
    H4350 43.5 grain
    0.003 back from land
    Laopua case
    CCI LRP
    2640 fps at sea level in Europe

Deadly with antelopes up to 400 yards

Offline 1000yardstare

• Ace Member
    6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #3 on: 07:13 AM, 03/04/10 »
  • The various reloading manuals are anemic for the 6.5 Swede. Must be a lawyer thing warning about liability for small ring Mausers.

You didn`t mention your action type. If it is a small ring Mauser this would limit load velocities. But from the other cartridges in your switch barrel setup, I would guess it is a modern action and you could realise the full potential of the 6.5x55.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite stainless/synthetic in the 6.5 Swede, 8 twist barrel,  and it is very accurate with all bullet weights despite having a ginormous throat for the 160 grainers. The 95s and 100s have quite a jump to the lands but it doesn`t affect their accuracy.

Hence my loads could be dangerous in a short-throated barrel and I hesitate to give exact powder charges. My main powder is IMR 4831. I can comfortably achieve 3100 with 95/100, 2900 with 129, 2800 with 140, 2600 with 160. But again this is with a large freebore. I couldn`t guarentee these velocities in a short-throated barrel.

You read about chaps edging towards 2900 with 140s but I hesitate to guess the pressures they must be operating at.

« Last Edit: 07:16 AM, 03/04/10 by 1000yardstare »
    Certified RSO (Civilian)
    Canadian Army ranges

Offline eggman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+74)
    • Ace Member
    6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #4 on: 01:42 PM, 03/04/10 »
  • I too shoot a long throated Tikka T3 chambered in 6.5x55 Swede. My favorite load is enough RL-22 to reach 2800 fps with a Danzac coated Berger 140 gr. VLD. This is my deer load and I get sub MOA 3 shot groups at 100 yds but it will shoot other bullet weights equally well. I like the new 100v Hybrid powder for lighter bullets.

Rodney

Offline LittleJeff

• Basic Member
    6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #5 on: 03:23 PM, 03/04/10 »
  • I forgot to mention action, sorry. It's a Remington 700 long action that has been blueprinted. Thanks for the replies so far.
    Little Jeff

Offline k80skeet

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    • Ace Member
    6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #6 on: 04:45 AM, 03/05/10 »
  • 1000yard stare,  I have a friend that has a 6.5 X55 swede in a 700 Remington Classic and he has found a few good loads but the volisty is only 2400-2450fps I would like to get the load for the IMR 4831  from you.  His throat is long he can touch the lands with any of his bullets.

Offline 1000yardstare

• Ace Member
    6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #7 on: 07:06 AM, 03/05/10 »
  • k80,
    Remingtons tend to be long-throated in all calibers. PM sent.
    Certified RSO (Civilian)
    Canadian Army ranges

Offline Matt Pitchon

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #8 on: 10:31 AM, 03/05/10 »
  • I have an FN Mauser (Large Ring) with a 30" Broughton in 6.5x55. The throat is standard SAMI (long for the 160s).  I shoot a 142SMK in a Lapua case, with 50gr of 4831 and getting 2900FPS.  No pressure signs.   The firing pin is the standard Mauser size, large, and I'm not getting any cratering, and no ejector wipe.

Offline 1000yardstare

• Ace Member
    6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #9 on: 04:56 PM, 03/05/10 »
  • Great stuff Matt. My guess is that your 30 inch barrel is generating the extra 100 fps compared to my 23 inch barrel. So I would think you are working at the same safe pressures as me. Anyway, the 6.5 Swede is a beauty cartridge.

As an aside, I want to use the Swede next Fall in the Ontario moose hunt. I am told, and I can believe it is true, that the Swede has harvested more moose than any other cartridge because the Swedes, Finns and Norwegians have been using it for more than a century in their moose hunts.
    Certified RSO (Civilian)
    Canadian Army ranges

Offline brush_buster

• Basic Member
    6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #10 on: 05:33 PM, 03/05/10 »
  • This week I worked a new load for my Swede but like you the velosity needs to be a little higher.  I only got 2385 fps but it shot a .223 three shot group.

Online Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #11 on: 05:07 AM, 03/06/10 »
    Hence my loads could be dangerous in a short-throated barrel and I hesitate to give exact powder charges. My main powder is IMR 4831. I can comfortably achieve 3100 with 95/100, 2900 with 129, 2800 with 140, 2600 with 160. But again this is with a large freebore. I couldn`t guarentee these velocities in a short-throated barrel.
    Posted by: 1000yardstare

If your chronograph is accurate, these are impressively high MVs for 140s from 6.5X55mm and a 23" barrel. Matt's 2,900 fps is what you'd expect from a 30" barrel with a stout load, and the seven-inch length difference would normally add up to much more than 100 fps in this cartridge - I'd expect 200-300 fps, more likely near the top end of that range.

Laurie,
    York, England

Offline 2506

• Ace Member
    6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #12 on: 05:52 PM, 03/06/10 »
  • I have a M-96 Swede Mauser 6.5X55 that has been sported. With the 29" barrel and max 45,000 CUP loads given in the Accurate Powders manual of AA4350 I get 2950 fps average with 120 gr Nosler BT with 46 grs and 2800 fps with 140 Sierra SP with 45 grs. with one hole shot groups at 100 yards. These loads will smoke white tail deer. Drops them in their tracks out to a little over 300 yards which is as far as I have shot them to so far.

The 160 Hornady Round Nose interlock bullet with a max load of AA4350 should make a good moose load.

Offline 1000yardstare

• Ace Member
    6.5-55 swede
    « Reply #13 on: 07:29 AM, 03/07/10 »
  • 2506, you must have a small ring Mauser that contains "modern" steel metallurgy and it received proper heat treatment. This is allowing you to operate at modern pressures. I agree that the 6.5 Swede is an ideal deer cartridge.

For moose next Fall with  the 6.5x55, I plan to load Hornady 160 RN for short range and 140 Nosler partitions for long range.

Roy Weatherby extolled the virtues of freebore 60 years ago for obtaining velocities that seemed to go beyond the theoretical capabilities of a cartridge. It is my impression that the long throat for 160s in the 6.5 Swede gives the effect of freebore for the lighter bullet weights. Hence the 140s are hitting 2800 fps with slow powders which some people find puzzling.
    Certified RSO (Civilian)
    Canadian Army ranges

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.