Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: CZ 527 American 221 Fireball.  (Read 6527 times)

Offline GlennGTR1

• Trade Count: (0)
CZ 527 American 221 Fireball.
« on: 10:58 PM, 02/22/10 »
  • I have always lusted after a 221 Fireball in a light weight wood blued gun. I have heard good things about the CZs . Wondering if anyone has shot this rifle and what kind of results they have had on varmints with the Fireball.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+20)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 09:01 AM, 02/23/10 »
  • Not to sidetrack this thread, but what load works well in your 221?
    So far as the CZ527 goes, those are just amazing little rifles for the money. You'd have to go custom to do any better.
    Joe Entrekin

Offline jwv2001

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #2 on: 01:36 PM, 02/23/10 »
  • I have a 221 Fireball in a lightweight sporter.  My load is 15.5 gr. of H4227 with a 40 gr. Vmax at ~3200 fps. 
    The 1st photo was taken just after I worked up my load.  5 shot group at 100 yds.  Ready to go hunting.
    I like to call predators so my shots are usually well within 50 yds.  I wanted to see what this load would do on a coyote at over 100 yds.  The 2nd photo is of I coyote I shot at 150 yds.  The coyote went right down.  The blood you see is from the exit wound.
    The 3rd photo is of a bobcat at just over 100 yds.  Entrance, no exit.  Both shots were bang_flop. 

Offline SmokinJoe

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 08:14 PM, 02/23/10 »
  • Thanks for the info. Wow, that is a beautiful rifle. What is it? I have worked with Lil'Gun & VV N-120 in mine achieving velocities between 3600-3700 fps with 40 gr bullets, but that's gettin' mighty hot. I do think safe loads with those powders would hit 3500-3600 fps, and accuracy should be good, too.
    Joe Entrekin

Offline jwv2001

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #4 on: 06:59 PM, 02/25/10 »
  • Joe,  While the Fireball case is certainly capable of some impressive velocities, I was looking for a load that would be easy on bobcat.  My target velocity was 3200 fps. with a 40 gr. bullet.  The H4227 gave me that no problem and is the powder I use in my XP100.  I have also had good luck with lil gun, H322, and 1680.  The case is so efficient that practically any powder works well in it. 
    My rifle is a M38 Cooper Custom Classic, 22" barrel.  It is light, accurate, quick handling, and quiet.

Offline montdoug

• Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 01:29 AM, 03/15/10 »
  • I have a CZ527 in .221. The load I have settled on is in WW weight segregated cases with 7 1/2BR primers. I'm using .3 less than the max load of AA1680 shown here under a 40 grain V-Max or BlitzKing. Chrono's 3,565ish FPS and is a half inch or sometimes less shooter depending on how I yank the trigger.

Sure not the eye candy of that beautiful rifle above but real decent wood for the money and a keeper in my world.
     It's everything I always knew a .221 rifle would be after buying that first XP100 for about $125.00 new in the box way to many years ago.

This is it pre-scope, it now wears a 6X20X40 Weaver Grand Slam.

Other than a few rock chucks I haven't shot bigger varmints with it yet but it is indeed holy heck on gophers which are it's primary target. They are a scourge around here.

This was shot 175ish yards and I had to walk 10 feet to get the tail section for the photo op. A dandy round I highly recommend!
    I'm a bit late to this thread but I have serious cabin fever and a real fondness for anything on the .221 case from .17's on up.

« Last Edit: 10:54 PM, 04/01/10 by montdoug »
    If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it. Did he really buy a rifle? Firearm philosophy 101. montdoug

Offline SmokinJoe

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 09:55 AM, 03/15/10 »
  • Hi Doug, thanks for sharing the info. BTW, that is a very nice looking CZ. I loaded up several test batches over the weekend, now to find time on a good day to go out & try them. My rifle is a Sako custom with a 6-groove Lilja that seems to want to work.
    Joe Entrekin

Offline montdoug

• Basic Member
    « Reply #7 on: 11:22 AM, 03/15/10 »
  • I'd be surprised if it didn't shoot like crazy ;D!
    IMO AA1680 is "THE" powder in this critter and 40 grain BlitzKings, or my favorites the 40 grain V-Max's are the bullet of choice but as always the rifle get's the deciding vote.
    If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it. Did he really buy a rifle? Firearm philosophy 101. montdoug

Offline BobLeeSwagger223

« Reply #8 on: 09:46 PM, 03/20/10 »
  • I was surprised at no mention of RL 7!  I load 18.7gr of Reloader 7 and a 40 v-max. It beats the CRAP out of prairie dogs, out to 200 yards it does an excellent job! You also get no recoil and low barrel heat.  ;D

Offline laportecharlie

• Basic Member
    « Reply #9 on: 10:55 AM, 03/25/10 »
  • I might have the only LH CZ527 in 221FB in the known world.  I had a LH 527 in 223Rem and I ran across a deal on a used factory 221FB barrel cheap ($32.50)  Had my local gunsmith rebarrel it and I got 221 mags and a mag housing from CZ.  The gun was great as a 223 but as a 221FB it is unreal!  It will group in the .3's if I pay attention.  I have a couple of other 221FB's but the load I settled on for this gun is a 34 gr. Varmint Nightmare X-Treme Flat Base HP over 16 grs of Li'l Gun.  This bullet doesn't do as well in my other 221's but it is deadly in this one.  RL-7 works well also.  I have six or seven guns for Prairie Dog hunting but this little CZ is my "go to" gun and probably is fired more than all the others combined
    Charlie

Offline bheadboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #10 on: 06:12 PM, 03/25/10 »
  • Glenn, I have had 6 221s of various rem, etc. now have 2, a 40x hart 22" and a 700bdl

do a lot of pd shooting and have found the 50sierra bk to be the pill at 3000fps as it gives me another 100 yds to 300. the 40s are great but just try some 50s, i use rl 7, h4227 15.5gr and they shoot in the .200-300"

Bob

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.