Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20  (Read 5474 times)

Offline Tulie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Basic Member
Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
« on: 11:48 AM, 02/21/10 »
  • I'm curious why more of the Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20's aren't being used on long range setups?  Is the Conquest not tough enough or is it something else?  I know it's a 1" tube and doesn't have a lot of extra MOA adjustment but optically they are very good at least to my eye.  I'm considering one of these for a 1000 yard rifle but don't want to get something that won't hold up or last.  A Nightforce NXS is what I really want but for what I'm using this for and the amount of times I shoot it, I just can't justify that much money.  I also have heard a lot of good things about the Sightron SIII's so maybe somebody has experience comparing that to the Zeiss?  I realize that's also a little off for a comparison considering the tube but how about optics, tracking and ....?

Offline coues52

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #1 on: 12:42 PM, 02/21/10 »
  • I have a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x40?45 MOA adjustment, anyway first one returned to" cameralandny"wouldn,t zero second one wasn,t much better,but camera land was great to deal with,loved the glass and I only use it now for a set-it and forget-it scope,friend had problems with his same model target turrts etc had problems took 10 weeks for them to return the scope in mean time he bought a nightforce 5.5-22x50 that thing tracks, I replaced  my zeiss with a sightron s111 6-24x50 on that rifle, heard good things about them,will see~Danny Ps If this sightron works will buy a s111 8-32x56 as was recmended by many helpfull members on this site, if not nightforce

Offline Chuckhunter

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #2 on: 01:02 PM, 02/21/10 »
  • Tulie, I have a Zeiss 6.5X20 on my .243 Ackley and the scope is crystal and as bright as all get out. The only problem that I have with the scope is the cross hair (Duplex) is a little to thick for extreme ranges. At 1000yds., it completely covers a Prairie Dog. The scope tracks flawlessly and the glass is a s good as it gets, just wish they would put in a thinner cross hair. My friend just ordered a Sightron 8X32 with fine dot reticle, I'm going to compare it to the Zeiss and if the optical quality is anywhere near the Zeiss, I may order one myself.

Offline Tulie

• Basic Member
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #3 on: 01:12 PM, 02/21/10 »
  • Yeah, I've got a 3x9 and a 4.5x14 Conquest and they both are very good.  The 4.5x14 is a lot brighter and clearer than the 3x9 but they both are better then most others makers I have.  I've heard a lot of very good things on the Sightron's lately.  I had an older one that was just okay and looked through a Big Sky that didn't impress me but the S3 stuff is suppose to be great.  No more than I shoot at long range and since I'm not competing at any high level I just can't justify the Nightforce although they are great.  I thought maybe the Zeiss would be a good middle of the road but not if the turrets won't hold up.  The Sightron is a tad less expensive anyway so that may be the way to go.

Offline 12man

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #4 on: 02:52 PM, 02/22/10 »
  • I have a Zeiss 6.5 x 20 Conquest w/ target turrets on a 6mm BR. Very happy with it clear, tracks excellent. Got it on Ebay just over $700 was a demo scope for 1 of the optics companies.
    Dee

Offline Tulie

• Basic Member
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #5 on: 07:42 AM, 02/24/10 »
  • That's a good price and I guess they are out there now and again.  Most of the 6.5x20's I've seen have gone for more than that.  I've been looking at a mil dot one that is about $800 but then I figure I need rings or a base to get it out to 1000 yards so haven't jumped just yet.

maxscm

Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #6 on: 08:28 PM, 02/24/10 »
  • If your going to spend $7-$900 get the Leupold LR 6.5x20x50 or 8.5x25x50 absolutley NO tracking problems,,,,why buy something else and take a chance it might track or might not track,
    also Leupold has enough MOA to get there. my .02 worth, crowkiller..... Can't Beat A Night Force either!

Offline Tulie

• Basic Member
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #7 on: 08:50 PM, 02/24/10 »
  • Yeah, NF is the way to go but I don't want to play that badly just yet!  I agree you won't go wrong with Leupold.  I have a couple of other Zeiss and just flat out love their optics, that's the main reason I was wondering.  True though, with the limited MOA of the Zeiss you have to go with a base or rings to get to 1000.  Oh well, part of the fun, looking around and weighing all the options!

Offline Baron B58

• Basic Member
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #8 on: 01:10 AM, 02/25/10 »
  • Tulie, I had a Conquest 6.5-20 and what a dissapointment it was! It turned out the scope had a defective lens in there somewhere and the paralax adjustments also did not work properly. Initially I could not believe the a Zeiss scope can have such major flaws and how it passed quality control like that I dont know. I got the scope brand new and really babied it like I do with all my equipment and had it mounted on a .25-06; so it was not subjected to a lot off recoil either. It eventually got replaced by a Leupold Mk V which is a whole lot better. After the Leupold followed a Nightforce NXS 8-32 and then I never looked back; what a scope! Don`t make the mistake I made; get the Nightforce right from the start and save yourself some dollars.

Offline Tulie

• Basic Member
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #9 on: 07:43 AM, 02/25/10 »
  • That is surprising Zeiss wouldn't have caught that and guess they lost a customer.  I do like the NF but right now my checkbook doesn't like them that much and that's why I'm looking at something I can use for a while and not get hurt on it when I upgrade.  I just can't justify the NF dollars because I don't shoot this setup enough right now and don't go out of the local area and compete.  I do appreciate the info though as it's all important to consider.

Offline dlong

Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #10 on: 09:02 PM, 02/27/10 »
  • I have the Leupold VX3 8.5- 25 on my 6br, great scope.  I have a few Sightrons with a new 8-32x on order, great scopes.  Have a new Zeiss Conquest stainless  6.5-20X on a new TAC20 which I have not shot yet, seems nice but have not been to the range yet.  I am intrigued by these Nightforce scopes, I just cant seem to bring myself to spend that kind of coin.  One of these days maybe.  I really want to see of they are as good as everyone says.  Never paid more than $725.00 for a scope.  $1500.00 + is a lot of jam.

Offline Tulie

• Basic Member
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #11 on: 10:01 AM, 02/28/10 »
  • Yeah, a buddy of mine uses a 8-32x56 NF for his long range setup but I just haven't seen enough benefit to account for the extra 700+ bucks over the other scopes that are available and useful for that situation.  I know Leupold has gotten a bad rep lately but I for one have sure had good luck with them.  I also have a couple of the Super Sniper scopes and maybe I'm in the minority but these have not impressed me at all.  As a matter of fact, I called to ask about getting one sent in for somebody to take a look at and was told to send it to Bushnell.  Thought that was interesting.

Offline zcrackshot

• Site $$ Contributor
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #12 on: 12:50 PM, 10/28/10 »
  • I have a 4.5-14x44 on a Tikka 308 Varminter, a 4.5-14x50 on a 300 Ultra, and a 6.5-20x50 on a 7mm mag. All of which have target turrets,track flawlessly, and I really like the glass for the $. I'm not sure how so many have such bad things to say about them as I carry all of mine on horses and they see plenty of abuse over time and none has given me even the slightest problem. I have various Leupold LR's too and they are great scopes, they track great as well but I'm not a huge fan of the glass. I guess what I'm trying to say is that many scopes work perfectly well but might not appeal to your exact tastes. Does that make them bad? It sure doesn't in my book. :)
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+95)
    • Ace Member
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #13 on: 08:58 AM, 10/29/10 »
  • I have one of the Zeiss 6.5-20x Conquest scopes. Excellent but I limit mine to around 400 yards maximum, the longest distance I can use it for very small targets. For distances beyond that my 12-42xNF BR scopes take over and more than meet the requirements. The Zeiss 1/4 moa clicks also leave a lot to be desired at the longer distances compared to my 1/8 moa clicks on the Nightforce's.
    Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Offline kapac

• Site $$ Contributor
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
    « Reply #14 on: 07:12 AM, 10/30/10 »
  • I have a 4.5x14 as well and just as others have said its very clear, mine tracks well. However, you are thinking about another brand of scope? I have had about all of them at one time or another except the SIII, granted the NF is a great scope but it comes at a price and weighs a lot!! I sold mine!! I guess if your just punchin paper it wouldnt matter. The SIII look like they should be on a tripod?

Good luck with your search

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.