Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: .243 Win vs. 6mmBR's: Newbie  (Read 3408 times)

Offline thefish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
.243 Win vs. 6mmBR's: Newbie
« on: 06:20 PM, 01/06/10 »
  • Just joined, my first post. Have been reloading for HG and SG for about 2 or 3 years. Just starting to appreciate precision loading for varmints and accuracy in the last year. I have a simple question:

In a nutshell, (unless someone wants to elaborate) what does the 6mmBR and all its multiple variations do that so eclipses what my good old .243 Winchester does? More specifically, my .243 Win that I load for doggin', targets, etc. I know the cases are structured differently, etc., but what's so great about it that I should ponder getting a gun in this caliber?

Thanks in advance, this seems like a great site with a great forum.

Offline cmillard

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+14)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 06:38 PM, 01/06/10 »
  • just look at all the matches that have been won with this round--that should paint the picture for you.  Read on in this site, and you will find a wealth of info on the 6BR.
    Cole Millard 1155

Offline LWolken

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #2 on: 06:59 PM, 01/06/10 »
  • Mainly that a 6mmbr burns alot less powder and heats a barrel alot less than the 243 or variant.  It heats up very similar to a 223 steady fire can be shot all day.  I take one 6mmbr and two 243 ack's to rotate around.  The 6mmbr is hard to beat if you ask me.  You won't get the carnage with the 6br but it holds accuracy like no other.  I like my 243's for know distance shots out to 500yds but when you step out to 800-1000 I prefer the 6br because it might take 15rds to get a hit and the recoil allows me to spot better.  At medium ranges I find I'm on the dial more with the br than my 243's.  I shoot 105gr amaxes out both but I also take a couple hundred 70-75gr bullets for the 243's to lay down the law.  My shooting buddies, one of which is our gun smith had two 6br's and a 300wsm rechambered one of the br's to 6-284.  My other friend is building a 6-250 to bring along with his 6br.  My brother in law brought some ar's, 22-250 VSSFII and a Sako 338 Lapua and after his first trip he had a 6br built and began reloading.  6br is the go to gun the others are just for fun.

Lance

Offline thefish

• Basic Member
    « Reply #3 on: 08:29 PM, 01/06/10 »
  • Thank you both. Could I trouble you to direct me towards an article or two that would expand further on what you said?
    Aside from what it can do at and beyond 600 yds in competition and doggin', is there any substantial advantage over the .243 Win inside of 500 yds?
    Also, do people often use this cartridge/gun family of 6mmBR's for hunting of any small to medium game such as deer, for example the way you would use a .243 Winchester or does it turn out that the guns' weight, etc., are just not practical for that purpose?

Thanks again.

Offline jr600yd

• Trade Count: (+1)
      • jr600yd@comcast.net
    « Reply #4 on: 09:20 AM, 01/07/10 »
  • 1)  Recoil
    2)  Barrel life
    3)  cost to reload
    4)  Accuracy

Good shooting
    Jim
    If common sense was common everyone would have it.

Offline thefish

• Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 10:59 AM, 01/07/10 »
  • Thanks again. But in regard to hunting medium sized game, a person would probably pick another similar cartridge, e.g., the .243 Win, right? The reason is that the cartridge itself is fine, but the guns are just not what you would want to take into the woods or fields with you...?

RIF

Offline cmillard

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+14)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 12:24 PM, 01/07/10 »
  • just wander around this sight a little and you will find a wealth of information on the 6br.  there is also a lot of info on the improved variants of this round.  also, check out the guns of the week archive--read every one of them, you will gain a ton of info on what shooters are shooting.  there is also a rifle that is chambered in .243 AI.  if you want a barrel burner, this is the one to pick.
    Cole Millard 1155

Offline jerrschmitt

« Reply #7 on: 04:20 PM, 01/07/10 »
  • I've been shooting the .243 since around 1959.  I bought my first 6BR last year and I sold my .243.  For Prairie Dog shooting the 6BR is much better because I shoot 30 grains of powder insted of 46 grains.  That means less barrel wear, less cost and less heat.  I'm good out to 1000 yards.  I took it deer hunting this year but didn't get a shot so I can't tell you how great it was, but I doubt that a deer would be able to tell you which round took out his heart.

Offline thefish

• Basic Member
    « Reply #8 on: 05:14 PM, 01/07/10 »
  • I will look at the articles. But just to get me started, how does the 6mmBR do all that with a smaller powder charge....just better burning conditions, something about the shoulder angle, things like that? You know, something intrinsic to the geometry of the case, size of bullet, etc.?

Offline markr

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 05:59 PM, 01/07/10 »
  • It's called efficiency. The 6br uses small rifle primers, smaller flash hole and at top velocities is a high intensity cartridge. You can buy top quality (Lapua) brass ready to fire and you will generally get more reloadings per piece of brass It is quieter and has less recoil. The barrel will last considerably longer. Other than that, not much different.
    Mark
    Life is too short to do things the easy way

Offline thefish

• Basic Member
    « Reply #10 on: 06:21 PM, 01/07/10 »
  • So then...what don't I see about the obvious next question: Why don't some of the mainstream gun companies and some of the quality ammo companies come out with a gun that shoots 6mmBR !?! If it's that good for target, competition, varmint, all the things you guys say this cartridge excells in; why wouldn't say Savage and Hornady team up and deliver something? After all, look at all the other crap that gets made. Every few months, there is some miniscule variant of a cartridge that gets released to fill a non-existing niche. Surely there are people out there that would appreciate accuracy, low recoil, long barrel life, etc., even if they don't reload.

I just don't get it. Any thoughts, gentlemen?
    Thanks. I'm glad I found this forum.

Offline 12man

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: 06:50 PM, 01/07/10 »
  • Remington chamberd their 40x in the 6BR, and still does thru the custom shop. Savage is currently chambering theit rifles in 6BR & I am sure I missed a few companies. The only factory ammo is from LAPUA & can't get it in my neck of the woods. Handloads are awesome in this caliber, and can be tailor fit to the gun.  I am sure as previously posted it will do all that is needed to antelope & whitetail. Lots of varmints DO NOT like this round and neither do the TARGETS
    Dee

Offline Exercion

« Reply #12 on: 07:38 PM, 01/07/10 »
  • Main reason I think you don't see more factory rifles in it is the American disease of "Magnumitis". I am not saying it in a derogatory way, just that velocity and big numbers sell, and since the rifle and ammo guys are in the business to sell, they follow the trend. There are many very good and very effective cartridges out there that never caught on in the US, it's just one of the vagaries of markets.

Eric
    Every shot's a classroom

Offline markr

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 07:40 PM, 01/07/10 »
  • So then...what don't I see about the obvious next question: Why don't some of the mainstream gun companies and some of the quality ammo companies come out with a gun that shoots 6mmBR !?! If it's that good for target, competition, varmint, all the things you guys say this cartridge excells in; why wouldn't say Savage and Hornady team up and deliver something? After all, look at all the other crap that gets made. Every few months, there is some miniscule variant of a cartridge that gets released to fill a non-existing niche. Surely there are people out there that would appreciate accuracy, low recoil, long barrel life, etc., even if they don't reload.

I just don't get it. Any thoughts, gentlemen?
    Thanks. I'm glad I found this forum.

Number one, for the mainstream manufacturers, target...and I mean real target rifles and not those that are just so named, make up a very small percentage of their production and little if any of their profit. Making money is their main objective...period!
    Secondly, to make a true target rifle requires different and specialized machinery, and qualified labor that really cares about quality and pride in their workmanship...real target rifles are labor intensive. Craftsmen in this league are few and far between and those that really have a passion to do the job to the best of their ability each and everytime they do a job...are even harder to come by, and even more costly!
    Lastly, target rifles are a very personal item to each individual shooter and almost no two are exactly alike...taking these out of the "production" class of rifles.
    Yes, Remington or Winchester or Browning or Howa could make production "target rifles", but they would not perform like the truely custom rifles that are shot in competition and the ammunition would be bastardized to make a one round that does everything. Production tolerances would force this to be so.
    Generally speaking, target rifles shoot their very best with near maximum loads, and find their best accuracy within "velocity nodes" and loaded a certain way. Such as the brass has been trimmed, primer pockets uniformed and flash holes, a Gentner 6mm 65 grain HPBT custom bullet may provide it's best accuracy in a particular rifle at 3200 to 3250 fps with the bullet seated .020 into the lands with .002 neck pressure on the bullet...if you're shooting at 72 deg F, 80% relative humidity and 29.95 barometric pressure. Factory loads could not accomodate such structured requirements...and neither can most handloaders, without proper training and experience.
    Just a few of the whys and differences between an 1/8th minute of accuracy rifle and one that will honestly shoot 1/2 MOA on a regular basis.
    Most people cannot or would not afford either the time and patience necessary to do this or the money that is required to do so.  ;)

Mark
    Life is too short to do things the easy way

Offline DCRYDER

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+40)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #14 on: 07:48 PM, 01/07/10 »
  • It seems to me you have the impression that all 6br's are 15+lb, 28" barreled, 4" flat-stocked benchrest or prarie dog guns. I have a 14lb 40x, a 10lb rebarreled VSSF, and just got my barrel today to build a 8lb sporter rifle. It will not be my go to deer rifle, but neither would a 243 (280AI). But with a 85gr Barnes TSX i wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer inside of 400yds.

To me the 6br will do anything a 243 will with less powder, less barrel wear, less fouling, less recoil, and more accuracy. Whats not to like about that.
    If it aint broke, I'll fix that!!!

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.