Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 6XC or 6mm22-250 ackley improved  (Read 5108 times)

Offline ronfoster

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
6XC or 6mm22-250 ackley improved
« on: 01:32 PM, 12/29/09 »
  • I have a standard 6mm22-250 and would appreciate some advise on which way to go by re-chambering to a 6XC or an ackley improved. the rifle is used strictly for varmint sillouette matches,  I have other rifles in 6BR and 243 ackley.  thanks, ronfoster

Offline fivering

• Trade Count: (+4)
    « Reply #1 on: 02:49 PM, 12/29/09 »
  • I looked at this a couple of years ago, and decided to go with a 22-250 cased necked up to 6mm, Ackleyized.
    You get a grain or so more capacity than the XC, and you have a wide variety of relatively inexpensive brass to choose from. Winchester has so far been the best for us. :)
    Performance has been outstanding, winning several State Championships and at least one Regional Championship in F-Class, where it was shot in competition with the bigger calibers like the 6.5x284, etc.

Offline savageboy

• Trade Count: (+9)
    « Reply #2 on: 05:51 PM, 12/29/09 »
  • So on that set up- a 6mm --- 250-3000 AI, How many grains of powder do you use w/ what bullet for what velocity? Like 105Gr VLD at What fps with How much powder? Inquiring minds want to know.

Offline ronfoster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #3 on: 06:27 PM, 12/29/09 »
  • savageboy   I am currently shooting the standard 6-22-250, which is a Win. case necked up to 243 dia.  I load 105 amax and 36.0 gr H4350.  also 95 gr. Berger or SMK wiht 33.5 gr. varget these are not max loads and I have not chronographed them. guesstimate 2950 to 3050 fps. all are moly coated. I think I could get another 100-150 fps with an ackley and less case stetch because of less taper.  I have a 22-250 ackley  9 twist and shoot 75 & 80 gr amax out to 600 yds. with very good accuracy.   hope this helps your inquireing mind.  ronfoster

Offline MTETM

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #4 on: 09:46 AM, 12/31/09 »
  • Either way would be an improvement if you are having brass longevity issues.  The straighter bodies and 30/40 shoulders will reduce the case stretching and trimming issues.  With that said, I would say based on your load data that you are not running into case issues.  Your loads seem very light and i would hesitate to change anything if the current system is working. 
    I load my XC well above the loads you have listed.  I am getting great brass life with Formed Winchester 22-250 brass.
    If you are looking for more 'performance' I would work on the current load unless you are at max in your current rifle. 
    Just my thoughts...

Offline WyleWD

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 10:24 AM, 01/03/10 »
  • Mostly agree with MTETM. I went the 6xc route, no turn necks, using the Norma 6xc brass. Sweet!  Seems to shoot a good number of powders reasonably well.

Definately agree with him in the area of loads.  Ya might want to look into some R-17 or N550 if you're using 80gr-95gr bullets. WD

Offline therifler

• Trade Count: (+19)
    « Reply #6 on: 02:53 PM, 01/04/10 »
  • Ron why did you give up on the 6mm250ackley ? mike
    michael p burns

Offline ronfoster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #7 on: 06:59 PM, 01/05/10 »
  • Mike when I originally ordered this rifle from an Oregon rifle smith, I ordered it in 6MM -22-250 ackley.  when it arrived several monthes later  it was a standard 6MM -22-250  . I called the smith and told him of his mistake.  he said send it back and I will change it, I was wanting to shoot the rifle in an upcoming match and did not want to wait amother few monthes, so I kept it as is.  it is a good shooter the way it is but I would like to get a bit more velocity with my 105 gr. bullets. now I need to find a smith in southern california that has a propper reamer. I have several hundred rounds of fireformed winchester brass, that could be turned into ackley brass by re fireforming.  decisions , decisions;;;;

Offline MTETM

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #8 on: 02:01 PM, 01/06/10 »
  • Hello Sir,

I would imagine you can get several hundred more form FPS from your current chamber.  The data below is from the Hodgdon reloading site and is for the 6mm-250.
    I would say you are well below a maximum load and if all you are looking to do is gain some FPS, working on your current load may give you the results you want.  This would save you the down time of the rifle and save the expense of setting back and re-chambering...

This data is for non coated bullets.

105 GR. HDY A-MAX      Hodgdon      H4350      .243"      2.600"      (starting load) = 34.7      2724      45,700 CUP      (Max load) 37.0C      2883      52,200 CUP

Just my thoughts...
    Good luck and enjoy
    « Last Edit: 02:03 PM, 01/06/10 by MTETM »

Offline therifler

• Trade Count: (+19)
    « Reply #9 on: 11:16 AM, 01/07/10 »
  • Ron thanks for the come back . Reason I asked Ishoot 6.5x250  Ack. I changed body lenght at the datum line but other than  that it's a  250 case . It shoots well I then tried the 6mm 250 ack. and kept it the same size as 250 ack. without success. Sounds like i gave up on the latter round to soon . You found that .003 thous. neck tension was critical?
    michael p burns

Offline ronfoster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #10 on: 05:22 PM, 01/07/10 »
  • thanks to everyone that responded, and I am gratefull for your advice and comments.  after all is said and done I have decided to leave it as is and concentrate on developing a better load for the 6MM 22-250.  I think I will try some Reloder 17 and consentrate on the 95&105 vld bullets.  thanks again to all and have a happy 2010 shooting year.   ronfoster

Offline Raptor

• Trade Count: (+10)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 09:05 AM, 01/08/10 »
  •   I went to the 6XC from the 6-250 and loved the 6XC. Its easy to load for and was very accurate.

I decided I needed more "Umph" at 1000yds to shoot the 115s so I went and rechambered it again to a 243XC or 6mmsuperX which was also very accurate.

I could not get the 115s to group as well as I thought they should but then realized that to many rounds had went down the barrel by the time I started shooting the 115s and it was going south on me.

I would highly recommend the 6MMsuperX (243XC)that Robert designed if you want to push the heavier bullets faster. Its very easy to load for and very accurate.

Offline e2k236lefty

• Basic Member
    « Reply #12 on: 10:34 PM, 01/16/10 »
  • to raise velocity try coated bullets and work ou the loads I am pushing 3200fps w/105 amax and rl17 and moly coated bullets that is close to the top thats why I dont give out grains of powder.
    obtw if you do switch to 6xc I still make my bras w/ win 22-250 brass.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.