Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: .204 vs .223  (Read 9593 times)

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Ace Member
.204 vs .223
« on: 09:05 PM, 12/16/09 »
  • For informal target shooting and small varmints out to 400-500 yards which would you choose?   Assuming a mid-weight bolt action with a 26" barrel.  I was pretty sold on the .223 but the numbers on the .204 have me looking twice.  I don't want to get caught up in ballistic charts or go for something new and sexy, just want the best round for my purposes.

The .223 has been around forever, tons of load data, great bullet selection. 

The charts say the .204 outperforms the .223 in velocity and energy delivered downrange, what do real-world shooters say? 

Which bucks the wind better? 

Will mostly be shooting off a bench or bags, not looking to kill coyotes at 500 yards, biggest things I shoot are pds and crows.   Just want an accurate round that is economical to reload and can hold up to a little wind.

Offline CanusLatransSnpr

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #1 on: 09:51 PM, 12/16/09 »
  • I would go with a .223 with a 9" or 7" twist throated for heavier bullets.  The .204 bullets are light and have low BCs.  With a 9" twist barrel you could shoot 69 gr. match/varmint bullets with really good accuracy and wind defying capabilities.  Brass is another consideration, .223 brass is all over and cheap, .204 brass I'm not sure of.  Never researched it much or if they even make it.  I know its parent is the .222 Remington Magnum and brass is pretty slim pickens for that chamber.  Then all the work to neck it down to 20 caliber.  If it were me, I would go with the .223!

Mike
    The only people that don't make mistakes are those that don't do anything!

Offline LarryDScott

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Trade Count: (+39)
    • Ace Member
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #2 on: 10:16 PM, 12/16/09 »
  • Its a 204. Its faster,flatter,better wind resistance and BC for a comparable weight 22 bullet. The 20 calibers do more on less. Its like shooting a ray of light, point and shoot and dont worry about holdover until you reach 400yds. Larry in western Ky.
    "GREAT SCOTT" shooters products
    greatscottshooters.com

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #3 on: 10:48 PM, 12/16/09 »
  • These first two replies illustrate the core of the question.  Thanks to both for your replies, they just exemplify why I haven't yet picked a caliber.

Offline canderson

• Site $$ Contributor
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #4 on: 07:30 AM, 12/17/09 »
  • I have a friend that shoots federal match ammo with 69gr. out of a les baer AR.  I believe that he is getting around 2700 fps with that combo.  I have been around several 204's and own two.  I can push 40gr. bergers or 39 blitzkings with a 22" barrel about 3300.  A 26" barrel with get you about another 200 fps.  Both are fairly accurate for factory barrels (usually around 1/2 MOA).  The best group with the 40 bergers was 1/2 moa @ 500 yds (3 shots).  There was very little wind.  My AR has a 1-9 twist barrel it will shoot the 40 and 50 bergers.  The farthest that I have grouped the AR is 300.  It put 5 shots in a 1.25".  My velocity is 3350 with a 24" barrel (pretty hot load).  I think that you need to run the numbers on a ballistics program and see what you like.  If I were to build another 204, I would have to try to set it up to shoot the 55 bergers.  I have a tried a few in the AR, but seating them to mag depth makes them jump because of the ogive profile.  Hopes this helps you.  If you have any more question please ask. 
    Chris

Offline cmillard

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+14)
    • Ace Member
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #5 on: 07:58 AM, 12/17/09 »
  • until the bullet manufac. come out with some high BC bullets (.36-.400), i would stick with a .223 remington.  tons of bullets out there that are super slippery
    Cole Millard 1155

Offline watercam

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+16)
    • Ace Member
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #6 on: 08:52 AM, 12/17/09 »
  • I own a CZ 527 in .204 and love the rifle but not the cartridge. If I did it again I'd get a .223 or, better still, .22-250. Bullet selection alone would warrant it. In Southern Calif. we are restricted to lead-free bullets, the selection in .20 is exactly one - a 26 grainer from Barnes which works great out to 200 yds. then fizzles.
    watercam

Offline 22243win

• Trade Count: (0)
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #7 on: 12:57 PM, 12/17/09 »
  • For long range, the .223 wih 80 and 90 grain bullets is in a different league. The 204 is much flatter for thet first 500 yards or so, but after that, there is know comparison.

Offline sdneil

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+22)
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #8 on: 06:41 PM, 12/17/09 »
  • .223 for me, just sold my .204 ruger, just could not warm up to it, probably me, supposed to be a good round. If you go .204 let me know I  have brass , dies,bullets, maybee you have got something to trade back ? Neil

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #9 on: 09:13 PM, 12/17/09 »
  • Again, thanks for all the great replies.

Looking at a Rem 700 or Savage 12 LRPV, leaning toward the Savage but not ruling out either of these or other simmilar rifles. 

Will be reloading, willing to pay for the components. 

Offline DukeDuke

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #10 on: 10:49 PM, 12/17/09 »
  • 223 1-8" twist and you can use it for a whole lot of different applications. Successfully, that is. Of course this would be my choice.

Offline Nodak7mm

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    • Ace Member
    • Team Lefse
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #11 on: 10:54 PM, 12/17/09 »
  • I have em both for the same purpose, PD's.  But they serve different styles shooting, bench/bipod & walk and stalk of sticks.

If I had to choose one to carry to the killing fields, it would be my .204.  Why?  Shoots like a lazer and I can spot my own shots with it. 

To do what you wish to do, there is no one perfect rifle or round.  Which is why I have 4 dedicated PD's guns in 204, 223, 22/250 & a soon to be 6BR from a shot out 6AI..

Cant just have one PD gun....  Just cant.. ;D
    Life is to short for me to take myself too seriously.  I just try to have fun, try to make others smile, laugh at myself daily & really try learn from my mistakes!!  If this sounds way too fou-fou for you, loosen up ya tight a$$!!!

Rod Vigstol,  Fargo ND

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #12 on: 11:39 PM, 12/17/09 »
  • In a .223 with a 1-9 twist what would be the lightest bullet it would shoot well, the heaviest?

In a .204 with a 1-12 what would be the spread.

Obviously other things come in to play, just looking for a general selection.

Online Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #13 on: 07:53 AM, 12/18/09 »
  • 1-9" with 223R usually sees 40s to 70s work well. You can just get away with some 75s depending on (a) whether it's a true 1-9" as opposed to a 'nominal' one, and (b) the actual bullet length of the 75gn design as its length not weight that mostly determines stability in any twist rate. In any event 1-9" is marginal for 75gn match bullet designs, and it's better to go for 1-8" twist if you wanty to use 75s and essential for 77s and 80s.

1-12" .204 covers 30-40gn. Some factory rifles seem to prefer the 32s over 40s; my Saavage 12 LRPV is the other way round, although it doesn't do badly with 30s and 32s.

Laurie

Offline coupalr

• Trade Count: (+1)
    .204 vs .223
    « Reply #14 on: 08:03 AM, 12/18/09 »
  • You need a 20 Practical. Neck down 223 brass and away you go. I shoot 39gr Blitzkings at 3950 out of my 24" 1-10 twist barrel with RL-10x.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.