Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 338-375 Ruger wildcat?  (Read 7002 times)

Offline steve123

• Trade Count: (+3)
338-375 Ruger wildcat?
« on: 06:26 PM, 12/16/09 »
  • Hi Guys,

I have a 30-375 Ruger wildcat that I use for 1000Yto 2000Y shooting.I've been shooting 240 grain SMK's at 2925 fps.In another 800 rounds or so the barrel will need replacing.

I saw on SH that Berger bullets is going to be bringing into production some new 338 bullets with very high BC's.8-.9

I was wondering if anybody you know of has built a 338-375R and what kind of velocities they are getting?

Steve
    Thanks,

Steve

Offline Apache

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
      • Apache Gun Works
    338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #1 on: 07:16 PM, 12/16/09 »
  • Should be comparable to the 8mm Remington Magnum.

Case capacity is nearly the same and bullet diameter is close enough to be comparable too I would think.

Just a guess though.  ;)
    When politicians use the Constitution for toilet paper it's time to remember the Declaration; after that, then RESTORE THE CONSTITUTION.

www.apachegunworks.com

Offline TTE Phil

• Basic Member
      • Phil Lozano Tanzania Trophy Expeditions
    338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #2 on: 11:18 PM, 12/17/09 »
  • Hi Guys,

I have a 30-375 Ruger wildcat that I use for 1000Yto 2000Y shooting.I've been shooting 240 grain SMK's at 2925 fps.In another 800 rounds or so the barrel will need replacing.

I saw on SH that Berger bullets is going to be bringing into production some new 338 bullets with very high BC's.8-.9

I was wondering if anybody you know of has built a 338-375R and what kind of velocities they are getting?

Steve

I built a 338-375 Ruger. 

L - R
    338 Swift A-Frame
    375 Ruger case
    338 Nosler partition

You are getting faster velocities than what I have gotten.

However, the design on the case was not extremely aggressive. 
    I designed it for a specific purpose in mind.

I made the neck a bit longer than 'normal' and have more case taper than most would use. 

I got 2710 fps with initial load development with a 250 grain hunting bullet and
    2850 fps with a 225 grain hunting bullet, with the little load development I had time to do.

Both loads are shooting 3 shot groups pretty well at 100, . . . . . and both loads look like this (sorry the photo is not crisp, but you can still see them well enough to get a good idea of the accuracy )  -

(Commercial Mauser action, Bartlein barrel)

I need to do more load development in the near future (after the new year).

What powder are you using ?

I started with R-19 and R-22.  Both shot well.  I need to slowly add some powder as I did not get to max load yet.

TTE Phil
    P.H. Tanzania
    Stay out of sight and down wind

Offline cmillard

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+14)
    • Ace Member
    338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #3 on: 07:41 AM, 12/18/09 »
  • steve, what barrel length and twist are you using currently on your .30-375?  Iv'e found in my 30"-- 9" twist hart .300 win that the 240s like about 2700 fps or a little higher.   i have taken it up to 2900+ fps, but lost accuracy (h retumbo and imr 7828 ssc).
    Cole Millard 1155

Offline steve123

338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #4 on: 08:40 AM, 12/18/09 »
  • Thanks guys for responding!

Phil,

When I first got the gun,I tried h-4831,US-869,R-25,Retumbo,R-22 in load development with the 240's.The best velocity I got was 2775 fps with R-25.

Then later on I read where people were getting high velocities with H-1000 and thought I would try it..That turned out to be the perfect powder!!!Yes my load is a bit hot!But the brass is cheap and handles pressure well.Also I'm not loosing any primers.Sometimes the bolt is sticky and sometimes not???

My smallest group was .22 inch tall by .080 wide off a bipod.

I shot this steel at 1800 yards.There are 2 groups on it.I shot the top one 13" then adjusted the scope down and shot the bottom one 16".

I'm was hoping to get 2650 2700fps with Bergers new 300 grainer.I might have to consider stepping up to 338 RUM to get higher FPS.

Steve
    « Last Edit: 08:45 AM, 12/18/09 by steve123 »
    Thanks,

Steve

Offline steve123

338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #5 on: 08:50 AM, 12/18/09 »
  • cmillard ,

I have a 9 twist Krieger.30"

Here a pic of my Surgeon XL with Anschutz prone stock.

Steve
    Thanks,

Steve

Offline cmillard

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+14)
    • Ace Member
    338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #6 on: 10:20 AM, 12/18/09 »
  • steve, nice rifle!!  i found with my hotter loads--2900 fps range-that if i didnt use weight sorted brass, i would see pressure problems.  with heavy brass, my bolt lift would be heavy, but when using light brass--bolt lift was fine.  so i just decided to back off to about 2700-2740 fps, which was giving me the best groups.
    Cole Millard 1155

Offline TTE Phil

• Basic Member
    338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #7 on: 02:09 AM, 12/20/09 »
  • Steve,

I guess I read your post too quickly.

I saw the topic on the 338-375 and assumed you made a typo when you said 30-375.

As far as the powders, I think I may have to go to a less bulky powder, as I may run out of case capacity before I get to a max load.

As I said, R-19 and R-22 both seemed to shoot well for me ( for a hunting rifle with hunting bullets), but not sure what powder to try next.

I guess I may have to consult OUAJI Board Reloading Manual. 
    TTE Phil
    P.H. Tanzania

Offline steve123

338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #8 on: 07:05 PM, 12/20/09 »
  • Thanks for taking the time to respond TTE Phil and cmillard.

Happy hunting!

Steve
    Thanks,

Steve

Offline steve123

338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #10 on: 07:00 PM, 12/22/09 »
  • Thanks Brad!
    Thanks,

Steve

Offline RayPrager

• Basic Member
    338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #11 on: 11:32 PM, 12/23/09 »
  • Howdy ... I built a 338x375R ... for the 180 to 225 gr bullets .A Savage  Striker ,18" barrel , 10 twist .

I use 375R dies for the web and bump , and 338 compact mag dies for the neck and shoulder , PTG set up the reamer for me . My 180 gr bullets are at 3000 fps.The other barrel is a 30-338 Win Mag .
    Ray

Offline TTE Phil

• Basic Member
    338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #12 on: 09:45 PM, 12/29/09 »
  • Howdy ... I built a 338x375R ... for the 180 to 225 gr bullets .A Savage  Striker ,18" barrel , 10 twist .

I use 375R dies for the web and bump , and 338 compact mag dies for the neck and shoulder , PTG set up the reamer for me . My 180 gr bullets are at 3000 fps.The other barrel is a 30-338 Win Mag .
    Ray

Pretty cool Ray.

What powder are you using and how did you determine what powder to start with ?

Thanks.

TTE Phil
    P.H. Tanzania

Offline wackmaster

• Basic Member
    338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #13 on: 12:23 PM, 01/01/10 »
  • Ya I'm new hear. I sighned up to talk about this round!
    The rifle I built is a ruger m77ss.
    All I did was take 338 rem ultra mag dies and turned .1875 off the base. made some shortend cases then short chanberd the 338 rum ultra. Using my new brass as a go gage.
    The rifle has a 25" hart bbl. leupold 4.5-14 loaded it ways 7lbs 13oz.
    I built this rifle as my elk gun. It shoots 91.0gr RL25 rem case. fed match primmers nosler 225 Accubonds at 3015fps.
    It will shoot under 1/2" at 100yrds and absolutly kills every thing I shoot!

Offline steve123

338-375 Ruger wildcat?
    « Reply #14 on: 08:43 AM, 02/15/10 »
  • Can you put some picks up comparing your new 338 wildcat cartridge with the regular 338 RUM.

Steve
    Thanks,

Steve

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.