Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: .270 for accuracy  (Read 5248 times)

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Ace Member
.270 for accuracy
« on: 04:00 PM, 11/01/09 »
  • Everyone knows the .270 is a great hunting round but its accuracy potential seems to be almost ignored.  It shoots flatter and faster than the 30s with better wind bucking than the smaller calibers.  Recoil isnt bad either. 
    In a varmint/target gun, not a hunting rifle or a dedicated br rifle, with some time spent developing a load what could be wrung out of the .270?  At 100, 300, 600 yards? 

Offline Gnarly

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    .270 for accuracy
    « Reply #1 on: 04:48 PM, 11/01/09 »
  • Dunno yet,but working on it.

----Gnarly
    ~*Pray for Peace, but handload more ammo!*~

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    .270 for accuracy
    « Reply #2 on: 04:54 PM, 11/01/09 »
  • Really?  Are you working on a .270 project?  What are the specs?

Offline 1000yardstare

• Ace Member
    .270 for accuracy
    « Reply #3 on: 05:18 PM, 11/01/09 »
  • mattri,
    Seeing your thread made me think back to my desire to shoot F Class with a .270 WSM two years ago. The Savage 12FVS was available in that cartridge but I think now it is discontinued. What held me back was the anemic selection of match bullets - and those available were light such as the Sierra 135 MKing. Why doesn`t Sierra have a 150 MKing in .270? Could be because the manufacturers seem to put a 12 twist in their .270s, probably for top velocity with the 130s. The only .270 WSMs I have seen in F Class on Canadian Army ranges have been necked down to 6.5mm for better bullet selection. In 50 years of competitive shooting, I have never seen a .270 target rifle. But have seen plenty of .270 Win hunting rifles in northern Ontario in the Fall. Very effective on moose. Anyway, I am with you buddy. Shoulda, coulda but no cigar.
    Certified RSO (Civilian)
    Canadian Army ranges

Offline ForneyRider

.270 for accuracy
    « Reply #4 on: 02:30 PM, 11/05/09 »
  • Try a Nosler Ballistic Tip or Accubond. Iv'e heard good things about the Hornady Interbond as well.

Sierra makes a Match King in 135gr.
    When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

Offline ForneyRider

.270 for accuracy
    « Reply #5 on: 02:33 PM, 11/05/09 »
  • R22 has been great for me. I can get factory Hornady light magnum velocities with it. Most of the other load data poops out at 3000fps or so for 130gr.

Winchester brass, Fed 215M (large rifle magnum) primers.
    When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    .270 for accuracy
    « Reply #6 on: 10:35 PM, 12/08/09 »
  • Thanks for the great replies. 

So if you were to build a 270 for accuracy where would you start? 

The 700 platform is an obvious choice, what about a Savage? 

Barrel length?  26" is common but velocity should be adequate with a 24". 

Twist, 9 should be good for the 130s and up.  Anything else?

Offline zedsdead

• Trade Count: (+3)
    .270 for accuracy
    « Reply #7 on: 11:38 PM, 12/08/09 »
  • Berger recommends a 1-11" for their 130-140gr and a 1-10" for their 150gr. A 270 is pretty much a necked down 30-06, and I have seen some exceptionally accurate rifles in that chambering. No reason why an equally built 270 couldn't do the same.

The Bergers and the 135gr SMK are about the only match grade bullets that I know of, so bullet selection hampers it, as usual.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Jason
    Zedsdead

Offline chriswillis87

.270 for accuracy
    « Reply #8 on: 03:25 AM, 12/09/09 »
  • what loads did you develop or your 270. Im using 140gr Sierra HPBT
    Chris Willis

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    .270 for accuracy
    « Reply #9 on: 10:16 AM, 12/09/09 »
  • Im shooting 150grn Hornady SST now.  My current .270 has a 1-10 twist and these shoot well out of it.  41 grns of Varget in fire formed brass  Rem primers gets me under an inch @ 100. 

This is my hunting load, I'd like to see what different bullets, powders, seat depths etc will produce. 

How light of a bullet do you think I can shoot out of this barrel?  It's 22" btw. 

Offline jp

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+33)
    .270 for accuracy
    « Reply #10 on: 10:50 AM, 12/09/09 »
  • Luv the round. I shoot a Rem 700 ADL in the .270 my load is 55.7 grs of H4831sc
    Fed 210m and Rem cases and 140gr Sierra BTHP and have shot many 5 shots groups in a half inch square at 100yds. This is one of those calibers that hasn't caught on yet, but it want be long. Fine medium long range rifle have shot out
    to 500yds....   Hope this helps
    JP

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    .270 for accuracy
    « Reply #11 on: 07:48 PM, 12/11/09 »
  • Gla d to here someone else excited about the .270, and  I think you're right eventualy it will be seen as more than just a hunting round.   

Offline Rust

• Ace Member
    .270 for accuracy
    « Reply #12 on: 08:20 AM, 12/12/09 »
  • The .270 has been my primary deer rifle for 40 some years, same rifle at that. Shoots sub moa with several good hunting loads. Usually IMR 4350 behind one of the better 130 gr bullets.

I have NOT considered it for competition for several reasons.

1. Lack of match grade bullets. For years the onlly match grade bullet was the Sierra one Sierra Match King, and the situation has not improved much.

2. Recoil. At any range, there are chamberings that will equal or exceed what the .270 would be capable of with less recoil

3. Brass. There isn't any high quality brass available in .270 unless you neck down something like Lapua 30-06 and fire form it.

4. Performance. At 600 yards and in, the .270s performance wouldn't have a significant ballistic edge over any other suitable chambering including a fast twist .223. Out to 1,000 the .30, 7mm, 6.5mm 6mm and even .223 all achieve better performance due to the availability of suitable VLD match bullets. And while the .270 can be made to shoot very accurately, it is not as inherently accurate as some cartirdges designed for competition use.

If you absolutely have to shoot something based on an 06 case, the .280 would be a better choice for competition.

Offline robbin

.270 for accuracy
    « Reply #13 on: 09:45 PM, 12/17/09 »
  • I shoot sub .5 MOA groups to 800 yards with my 28" 270 encore. Yep, I said ENCORE, you know, that 6 pound breach loader.  I shoot 130 berger VLDs, do everything to the brass you can do, including neck turning. I use light neck tension and load just long enough that the breach seats the bullet when I close it.
    The gun has a custom 1.25 lb trigger pull, scope with level and a harmonic balancer. Scope is a 6.5X20X56 VXL with a Varmint Hunter reticule and a custom dial for this bullet and load.  I use RL17 and get a MV of 3050.
     Man can that little gun shoot.

I finally got a 6.5 X 47 Lapua bench rest rifle that can give it a run for it's money. But I've never seen a 6lb deer rifle that can even come close.

Offline Rbetts

• Basic Member
    .270 for accuracy
    « Reply #14 on: 06:03 PM, 12/18/09 »
  • 5 shots 200yds getting ready for deer season in 05
    270 win
    60+ H4831
    fed 215m
    Winchester brass
    130gn GameKing
    3212fps
    This is out of a regular Vanguard Weatherby not a sub moa. Even has the stock trigger fixed but still stock.
    I have a bunch of groups hanging at a local shop that does my work and all are better than this.
      After about 10 shots the blast and the recoil will make you open the groups up. With a 243 I stay much more consistent over long strings.
    « Last Edit: 06:05 PM, 12/18/09 by Rbetts »

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.