Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Remington vs Winchester - 308 vs 300 WSM  (Read 1435 times)

Offline phil357

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Remington vs Winchester - 308 vs 300 WSM
« on: 05:59 PM, 10/31/09 »

• I am looking to start building long range rifle for F-class 1000 yards. I have a 300 WSM rifle with a Montana 1999 action that I use for hunting but I spend more time punching holes in paper now. This rifle has a 24 in #2 contour sporter barrel, wood stock unbedded and it shoot under 1 MOA at 100 yards with 66 grains of reloader 17 and 155 nosler custom competition bullets. My thoughts our with a barrel and stock it might do ok??? I have been trying to research and been told that I should go with a Remington action.

So the question is Remington style action or Winchester style action?

Will take any advice either way and was wondering if any one has used a Montana Action?

The other major question 308 or 300 WSM and I am not worried about barrel life? But I am wondering what kind of barrel life that people are getting out of the 300 WSM.

Last question what is the minimum barrel contour and length of barrel for 1000 yard 20 + round strings.

Offline effendude

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 11:11 PM, 11/02/09 »
  • Phil,
    The X-ring on the F-class target is 1/2 MOA, 10 ring is 1 MOA.  Sounds like you have an accurate hunting rifle in the Montana, use it for that. 

As to your other questions, which action type depends on how much money you want to spend.  Remington actions are very good, and the clones are awesome and save you money if you figure what it costs to true up a factory action.  The best bang for your buck is probably going to be a Savage Target action with the target accutrigger.  They may not be as glamorous as some actions, but the floating bolt head and excellent trigger produce some excellent results. 

The Montana action is a pre-64 Win clone if I'm not mistaken.  I love my winchesters, but if I was building a new F-class rifle from scratch, I wouldn't go that way. 

The .308 with correct other equipment puts you in the F-T/R class with a weight limit of approx. 17 lbs.  The 300WSM is an open class rifle caliber with a weight limit of about 22 lbs.  The open class can be very intimidating to a new shooter as this is where the deep pockets and also the best shooters tend to play. 

As to barrel length and contour, 30" seems very popular, and go as heavy as you can to make your weight limit.  Some are shooting straight 1.25" tubes. 

I suggest you look at the Savage F-Class rifles.  For approx. $1100, you can get a .308 F-T/R rifle, or 6mmBR or 6.5 x 284 F-Open class rifles.  By the time you have used up the factory barrel, you'll have gained the experience to make great use of the new barrel necessary to really win.  Good luck,
    Scott

Offline phil357

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: 11:27 PM, 11/02/09 »
  • Thanks for the info. I was looking at a Savage 6.5-284 yesterday and I think you hit the nail on the head. 

Offline Josh11

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+23)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 09:23 AM, 11/04/09 »
  • thats what i did.  but i got the 6br in f class.  My thinking is, that once you buy the factory gun, you got a good stock, good action and a fairly good barrel.  But once you shoot out the barrel, you should be a decent shooter and you have a action and stock.  Just get it bedded, timed and trued and your good to go.  Unless you have a lot of money to spend, then i would go custom.  And as for the 300 wsm, your going to be paying a lot in componet cost.  I would go with a 6.5x47 or 6mm Dasher or somthing of that nature.  Barrel life is good.  and shooting cost is lower than that of a 300 wsm.
    Just my .02. 
    Josh

Offline phil357

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: 07:39 PM, 11/04/09 »
  • They have a went and looked at the Savage Model 12 6.5/284 but saw a few Remingtons that would fit the bill. Would you go with a Savage or Remington?

thanks

Phil

Offline Sin_arms

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #5 on: 09:22 PM, 11/04/09 »
  • Out of the box, Savage. Upgrading the rifle, Savage. So easy a caveman can do it.

Offline Rust

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 03:56 PM, 11/08/09 »
  • Start with the Savage in 6mm BR. Better ballistics than a .308, better barrel life than the 6.5 X 284. A quality bedding job is simple, you can do it yourself if you have the skills or have a competent smith do it for not a lot of money. Pop on a 20 minute rail and a repeatable scope (I think the Sightrons are pretty good for the money) and you should be in business.

A good used match rifle is an option too, if you find one that suits your tastes and budget. A good used match rifle would be pricier though, although there are occasional deals to be had.

You'd probably get to the range sooner with a Savage though.

Any more, given the high quality 700 clones on the market for very reasonable money, I wouldn't consider blueprinting a Remington unless I already had one on hand. Something like a Stiller solid bottom 700 clone would be very nice to start with, or a Borden, or a Lawton etc., etc.

But getting the Savage is probably the simplest and least expensive route.

Offline phil357

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: 11:57 PM, 11/12/09 »
  • Yea the more and more I look into it is almost a no brainer to go with the savage until I can out shoot the rifle. But I did find a savage Palma in 308 and I have all the brass, some bullets, dies, primers and powder I sure could hit the ground running. But I also have a set 284 winchester die and rem 6mm br dies. Unless you have really deep pockets, I think savage is the way to go. nd with the savage with acouple extra barrels you have a lot of options. What would iron sights and what would you recomend for the savage?

Thanks,

Phil

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.