Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: CCI 450's vs CCI BR4's  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Basic Member
CCI 450's vs CCI BR4's
« on: 11:38 AM, 01/05/09 »
  • Hey Guys, Would like to know what is working for you in the 6.5x47 Lapua. Which is better the CCI 450's or the CCI BR4's? Have quite a few of the BR4's.Like to have some input on your all's testing. Thanks.

Offline ThunderDownUnder

• Trade Count: (0)
      • South Australian F-Class
    CCI 450's vs CCI BR4's
    « Reply #1 on: 05:35 PM, 01/05/09 »
  • I wasted quite few rounds working up a load for my 6.5x47L and tested both CCI BR4 and 400 small rifle primers. I shot all my loads thru a CED M2 chrono and found no appreciable difference in velocity between them.

I had the same spread and SD with both and tested using Varget,AR2208) and H4350,AR2209) powders. In the end I went with 41.8gr of AR2209 with the CCI 400 primers for 2923fps with Berger 130gr VLDs.

I have not used the CCI 450 primers but if they are a magnum primer then maybe you would gain a few fps over the standard primers. Maybe someone else can help out with a 450/BR4 comparison.
    A small ES is good. A small SD is better. A small group is best.

Offline ackleyman II

• Trade Count: (+9)
    • Ace Member
    CCI 450's vs CCI BR4's
    « Reply #2 on: 08:13 PM, 01/05/09 »
  • The 450 is a hotter primer than the CCI BR-4.  It does have the extra thick cup as the BR-4.
    Keith Candler

Offline MuleyTime

• Trade Count: (+4)
    CCI 450's vs CCI BR4's
    « Reply #3 on: 10:06 PM, 01/05/09 »
  • I've tried both and still have both in my cabinet, and now I just use what I happen to grab as there has been no noticable difference in my .204.

Offline Hawkeye

• Basic Member
    CCI 450's vs CCI BR4's
    « Reply #4 on: 11:28 AM, 01/06/09 »
  • Thanks Guys, that's what I want to hear. If anyone has had issues with the BR4's, would like to hear them. I've got quite a few of them and the 1000 is a long way to have issues.

Offline Forum Boss

• Administrator
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    CCI 450's vs CCI BR4's
    « Reply #5 on: 02:03 PM, 01/06/09 »
  • FWIW,

The CCI 450 is much cheaper than the BR4s. We tested both in a 6BR rail gun a while back and the differences were not notable. Though we really didn't do a large enough test,which would involve 100 rounds each). Point is, one was not demonstrably better than another with Varget or 4895 as indicated by 25 rounds with each. YMMV.

Offline Hawkeye

• Basic Member
    CCI 450's vs CCI BR4's
    « Reply #6 on: 02:51 PM, 01/06/09 »
  • The BR4's have performed well in the past. Trying to come up with the "so called" perfect round and load is just two parts of a vast configuration. With the multiple combinations of powders, primers, bullets, not to mention case preparation, making the ultimate combination to give you the accuracy needed to win a match or set a new world record takes a great amount of effort. Thank you all for your help!

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.