Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Berger 90 grain bullets in 223 Rem  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Travelor

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ace Member
Berger 90 grain bullets in 223 Rem
« on: 06:32 AM, 11/06/08 »
  • I am fortunate enough to be one of the selected shooters to test bullets for Berger.  This time it is the 90 grain bullet.

In researching this bullet and loading data I found an excellent article by Mr. Clint Dalstrom published in the Winter/Spring 2008 edition of The Canadian Marksman.  He tested the Sierra, JLK, and Berger bullets at ranges up to 1000 yards.  In his testing he settled on 26.2 grains of N550.  Using QuickLoad, this load was shown to develop excessively high pressure, therefore I have not loaded to this level and would strongly suggest that no one else try it as a first load.

Now for my initial test results.  The gun selected is a Savage 12 LRVP single shot,right bolt left port) with a factory barrel twist of 1:7 and that has been professionally trued, bedded, and had the barrel diamond lapped.  This gun has consistently shot very well.

I weighed and checked lengths of the ogive on 10 randomly selected bullets and found them to be VERY uniform.  I loaded match prepped and weight sorted Winchester cases with the 90 grain Berger bullets.  The load was 22.5 grains of N550, Federal 205M primer.  The OAL of 2.250" which gave a seating that cased a .010" jump to the rifling.  This load was predicted to have a chamber pressure of 52,215 psi and a muzzle velocity of 2617 fps.

My testing was limited to 200 and 600 yards due to time constraints of another Match scheduled on the same range. The first 200 yard group from a cold clean barrel was 1.267" CTC followed by groups in the .450" CTC range.  To say the least, this was VERY GOOD.  Now to 600 yards.  My procedure here was to shoot to the same point of aim and see both group sizes and the effect of the wind.  Wind was 5 mph at 4 o'clock.  I shot one 10 shot group that measured 4" horizontally and just under 1" vertically.  To me this was most impressive as no changes were made as the wind changed.  The group would have placed the majority of the shots inside an F-Class 500 yard X-ring with no wind correction.  Pressures in all rounds test fired were mild, suggesting an increase in powder is in order for my next range session with this new bullet.

Sorry for the limited test so far, but I will have more to come including chronograph findings.  Believe it or not, this time of year has gotten very busy with Matches here in Arkansas.

George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.