Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: what is the TPI of scope base screws for a Remington 700 action  (Read 4264 times)

Offline PestShooter

• Trade Count: (0)
What is the TPI of the scope base screws for a Remington 700 short action?  They must be metric.  I can not find a darn screw in MI for my picatinny base.

Offline FroggyOne2

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Ace Member
I have some.. will send them to ya.. PM me with your address..

Randy

Offline FroggyOne2

• Ace Member
He don't have to ask his local shop for some.. I have plenty and will send him some.. no cost..

Randy

Offline koger

• Trade Count: (+4)
Rem. Scope base and sight screws are std. 6/48 gun screw threads, any shop should have them.
samuel koger

Offline Cheechako

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ace Member
Careful Samuel.  I made the same reply yesterday and was taken to task. I deleted mine.

Ray

Offline FroggyOne2

• Ace Member

Offline FroggyOne2

• Ace Member
there on the way..

Offline FALPhil

Quote from: Cheechako
Careful Samuel.  I made the same reply yesterday and was taken to task. I deleted mine.

Ray

Ray, I'd be interested in why you were taken to task.  I have 3 Remington bolt rifles, each one is a different model number, and each one has the standard 6-48 threads for the base mounting holes. AFAIK, that is the standard on Remingtons, unless it is a special application or the gun has been altered by someone.

..Phil
When it comes to powders, there is no A in Reloder.

Offline Cheechako

• Ace Member
Phil

Sent you a PM.  No need to hash this out on the Forum.  More of a misunderstanding than anything.  I should have kept my mouth shut.

Ray

Offline habu

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Ace Member
tres,

do you mean 4-40, not 8-40?   thought it went 8-56, 6-48, 4-40,
won't an 8-40 be a bit small for a scope mounting?

ron
RON HERMS -- OLD CORPS

SOME DAYS YOU EAT THE BEAR, SOME DAYS THE BEAR EATS YOU!

Offline Cheechako

• Ace Member
Well, here I go getting involved again.

The first number in a screw size is the diameter of the screw and the second number is the TPI,threads per inch).

The smaller the first number, the smaller the screw.  So, a 4-40 is a lot smaller than an 8-40 even though they both have 40 TPI.

AFAIK all Remington actions are factory drilled and tapped for 6x48 scope and sight mounting screws.,As are most other actions as well).  On heavy recoiling rifles, some shooters will have the screw holes enlarged to 8-40 figuring that the bigger screws will have greater holding power.

And that's all I know about that. :) :)

Ray

Offline PestShooter

Do bigger screws really give more strength or is there no difference?

Offline Cheechako

• Ace Member
Many shooters believe so.  But I've always been a skeptic and I've never had a rifle with anything bigger than 6x48.

My thinking is that if 3 or 4 #6 screws shear off from recoil . . .:eek:

But, others will disagree and now we'll hear from them.

Ray

Offline habu

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Ace Member
ray,
thanks for the info!

that's what i get for being a 'shade tree' gun plumber.

ron
RON HERMS -- OLD CORPS

SOME DAYS YOU EAT THE BEAR, SOME DAYS THE BEAR EATS YOU!

Offline Preacher

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • Ace Member
About the only time a 8-40 screw is needed is when the smith needs more money for doing a job that never needed done to begin with...........
6/48's are the standard gun mounting screws......
Age is a high price to pay for maturity.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.