Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: best scope for .17 hmr  (Read 7034 times)

Offline rudy16

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
best scope for .17 hmr
« on: 05:01 PM, 03/17/08 »
  • I like the idea behind the BSA sweet 17 but have been getting mixed reviews on the quailty. I want to explore all my options before buying a new scope as I sold my tasco varimtor.  Is there anyone who has had good/bad luck with the BSA.  Also are there any scopes that work similiarly in in being able to adjust the range quickly. thanks

Offline Tommie

best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #1 on: 09:58 PM, 03/17/08 »
  • A couple years ago I was at the Tulsa gun show and stopped at a booth which had nothing but BSA optics.  Boxes of new BSA scopes were piled four high and three deep.  The vendor invited me to look through some of his scopes,all were new, or so he said).  First one I looked through was so blurry it made my head hurt.  The second one I looked through had a broken crosshair wire.  I didn't bother looking through a third one.  Maybe my experience was a bizarre fluke.  Or maybe all the scopes this guy was selling were factory seconds.  Can't say for sure, but I sure didn't like what I saw.

The old rule of thumb is to spend as much on a scope as you do on the rifle.

Tom
    It's the Indian, not the arrow.

Offline B

best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #2 on: 10:21 PM, 03/17/08 »
  • I think that BSA scopes are ok but leupold is the best you can buy.

Offline B

best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #3 on: 11:19 PM, 03/17/08 »
  •      Look at Leupold's full line of optics at  www.leupold.com and find the right optics for your application.

B:cool:

Offline jb77

best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #4 on: 09:13 AM, 03/18/08 »
  • I have a 2x7 BSA sweet 17 on mine and I am going to replace it. The scope is OK when the light is good,but in low light conditions the scope is lacking.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say.

Offline Macs

best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #5 on: 09:35 PM, 03/18/08 »
  • I put a sweet 17 on my gun and thought it was wonderful so I bought another and put on my wifes gun, it too was wonderful. Have recommended them to others and only had 2 people have problems with them out of I don't know howmany.
    Guns are awsome, guns are fun, pull the trigger, and it's all done. (www.macsgunworks.com)

Offline blacknwhite

best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #6 on: 07:39 PM, 03/24/08 »
  • What ever you do DONT BUY A BSA,BAD SCOPES OF AMERICA)...The reason I say this is because I dont want you to waste your money. I purchased the sweet 17 and the optics were so bad that I sent it back immediately. I then purchased a Bushnell Banner 6-18X50 and love it...Get the Banner and be done, get the sweet 17 and buy twice.

Offline hopefullbencher

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Basic Member
    best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #7 on: 03:14 PM, 03/26/08 »
  • In all seriousness, if money is a concern, get a tasco.  I have all leupolds but I used a 3x9 tasco to show a friend that bought a BSA that it was his scope and not the rifle.  Even a cheap silver antler is better than a BSA. In my opinion anyway.
    Mike

Offline billmo

• Trade Count: (+11)
    • Ace Member
    best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #8 on: 03:58 PM, 03/26/08 »
  • If money is the determining factor, I would go with the Super Sniper 20 X over any lower priced scope on the market. The optics are as good as you will find on any other scope in it's price range at $ 300.00 from SWFA and better than a lot of higher price scopes that I have owned. I own,2) of them and have taken out pop bottles filled with water at 500 and 600 yds. with the rifles that they are mounted on. And one of the rifles is a 16" plain barrel AR-15 .223 with a F F handguard Upper on a RRA A-4 Varminter Lower. Just my opinion. Bill

Offline coupalr

• Trade Count: (+1)
    best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #9 on: 03:57 PM, 04/03/08 »
  • Get a burris fullfield II

Offline gambleone

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #10 on: 04:22 PM, 04/03/08 »
  • Whats the distance you are shooting?

Offline 4570sharpshooter

• Trade Count: (+2)
    best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #11 on: 09:18 AM, 04/16/08 »
  •  I have the Savage 93r17 - 17hmr and I put the Nikon buckmaster 4.5x14sf in silver on this gun. It's variable,but it still has some long distance capability. I wanted the mil-dot in this scope,but it comes in matte only. 45/70ss
    Keep yer eye on the Target son.....

Offline tuck2

best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #12 on: 09:53 PM, 04/16/08 »
  • I like the three bars below the cross hairs on the Burris Fullfeild II 4.5-14 X  BPLEX w A/O on my 17 HMR. When sited at 100 Yds the first bar is on at 150 Yds, 2nd bar at 200 Yds and the 3rd bar is on 250 Yds when shooting the 17 Gr bullet and the scope is set at 14 X.

Offline CAT977

• Basic Member
    best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #13 on: 09:15 PM, 08/18/08 »
  • I have had no problems with my BSA 6-18-40 have put over 400 rounds out there with it and over 300yds here she is
    Shoot first  ask questions later and if it ain't dead shoot it again!

Offline mwood

• Trade Count: (+1)
    best scope for .17 hmr
    « Reply #14 on: 02:57 PM, 09/08/08 »
  • If you want a lower price scope that is less than 16x / variable, I would check out the top end Simmons/ Atec
    ,not the cheaper Simmons). They make a lot of scopes for other companies under other names. Atec uses an advanced lens manufacturing process that was developed on lenses,eg. also astronomy) in the last couple of years. Basically it involes grinding lenses in a non sperical fashion to allow less lenses to get the same job done. As a result, the assembly produces very clear/ good images out to the edge of the field.
    My simons was under $200.  I bought one for my 17HMR and its image quality competes with my Nikon Monarch of similar size. The Monarch image is superior to a more expensive Leupold.,Thats why I bought it).
    Michael W. Wood

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.