Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 30-30 wildcats.  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Austin

• Trade Count: (0)
30-30 wildcats.
« on: 04:55 PM, 01/28/08 »
  • I know the mortality rate is very high because of the thin wall of the 30-30.I am wanting to have a smith build a T/C pistol for short range deer.its going to just be something different.

I am wondering what is the easiest wildcat to form and gives a bit of an edge over the old 30-30.
    Stupidity should be painful

Online 280man

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+26)
    • Ace Member
    30-30 wildcats.
    « Reply #1 on: 06:13 PM, 01/28/08 »
  • 7-30 waters
    Rick Jensen
    2017 US F-Class Open Team Captain
    Claremore, Oklahoma

Offline Cheechako

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    30-30 wildcats.
    « Reply #2 on: 06:18 PM, 01/28/08 »
  • Austin

If you are wanting a 30 caliber, go with the 30-30 Ackley.  Reamers, and dies are readily available.  For less power, but perfectly adequate for deer, the 30 Herrett.

Ray

Offline eww1350

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+53)
    30-30 wildcats.
    « Reply #3 on: 10:03 PM, 01/28/08 »
  • An alternative in my opinion would be the 30BR...I can shoot a 110 grain Berger bullet 3100 fps out of a 22" barrel...I think it would make a great deer cartridge in a SS pistol...Great brass, dies, bullets etc..You can't go wrong with the30BR..
    IMO..

Offline Tommie

30-30 wildcats.
    « Reply #4 on: 10:07 PM, 01/28/08 »
  • Most of the 30-30 wildcats are found in two approximate lengths.  Either they're cut down to about 1.75" case length or they stay full-length.  The short versions approximate PPC powder capacity and are usually used in accuracy applications,.219 Wasp) or short barrel applications,30 Herrett).  The full-length cases when in AI configuration usually hold around 36 grains plus/minus and perform to their full potential in carbine or rifle length barrels.

For short-range deer hunting I'd say it would be tough to beat a 30 Herrett using 125-130 grain bullets.

Tom
    It's the Indian, not the arrow.

Offline crabbies3

• Basic Member
    30-30 wildcats.
    « Reply #5 on: 10:35 PM, 01/28/08 »
  • if one were to have a rebarrel done on a t/c to 30-30 ack imp would there be any advantage to using a twist 0f 1-16 or 1-17 over the standard 1-10 or 1-12 considering only bullets 0f 125 gr or less would be used. ive used 125 noslers with good results wonder what some of the 30 cal bullets used in the 30br would do. tks for your time ken
    kenneth d hubbard

Offline Tommie

30-30 wildcats.
    « Reply #6 on: 12:22 AM, 01/29/08 »
  • Ken,

I own a 30-30AI but have no experience with that chambering in a pistol.  That being said, I'd imagine you'd experience some serious muzzle flash and blast in a pistol length barrel.  I truly think a 30 Herrett would work better for that application.  The .357 Herrett is another great deer killer in a pistol.

Same story with slow twist 30 caliber barrels - I have no experience.  Theoretically, a slower twist barrel would impart a slower bullet rotation and therefore the bullet would penetrate the deer better,versus exploding).  On the other hand, a faster twist might provide a little more resistance and allow a more complete powder burn to provide higher velocity and/or better accuracy.  Again, this is all theory.

Tom
    It's the Indian, not the arrow.

Offline olympian

• Trade Count: (+4)
    30-30 wildcats.
    « Reply #7 on: 10:25 AM, 01/29/08 »
  • 7-30 Waters will do anything you want in a pistol for short or longer range deer.  It is very similar to a 7mm-08 in ballistics in a pistol length barrel.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice." -                                                      Sidney Freedman

Offline Preacher

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+104)
    • Ace Member
    30-30 wildcats.
    « Reply #8 on: 10:10 AM, 01/30/08 »
  • The 30-30 Ackley is a excellent choice for a pistol length barrel, and I've done a ton of them for the TC Contender, and no brass problems that I know of..
    A friend and I did a batch of them from 375 Winchester cases, but never noted it made a big difference..
    Both the 30 and 357 Herrett are a pain to  get perfect chamber fit with the cases unless your 100%
    into serious set ups, and I've done more than a few of those in the TC's back when.....
    I still believe the 30-30 Ackley is the best of the bunch...
    Age is a high price to pay for maturity.

Offline 2506

• Ace Member
    30-30 wildcats.
    « Reply #9 on: 08:09 AM, 01/31/08 »
  • I would take a long look at a 6.5,.264) bullet on the 30-30 case. Those bullet are made to do their thing at about the velocity you can get out of a pistol barrel so you are going to get good expansion and quick killing potential. Those long bullets also shoot flatter than a 30 cal. at greater distance.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.