Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 6mm-.222 remington  (Read 5359 times)

Offline jonsidneyb

• Trade Count: (0)
6mm-.222 remington
« on: 06:52 AM, 01/01/08 »
  • I am curious about this wildcat.

I am sure this is going to be very very mild mannered cartridge.

Does anyone know where I can find performance specifications on it?

Not interested in the 6x45 or the 6x47 based off of the .223 and .222 magnum but of the old classic .222 necked up.

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+97)
    • Ace Member
    6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #1 on: 10:36 AM, 01/01/08 »
  • jonsidneyb: Not trying to throw cold water on your idea, but, some areas for you to consider.,1) The little 222, I have several) is a great ctg. but has a small case powder capacity. Opening it up to 6mm will still have limitations, since you simply cannot get enough powder in the case: the main problem with the 223 opened up to 6mm.,2) Since Lapua no longer makes 222 brass, glad I stocked-up when it was available) you are limited to few if any, choices of quality brass. Remington is definitely not quality!,3) When you open up the case neck to 6mm with the mandrel, the case neck will be pulled out of alignement-- way out, resulting in a lot of runnout with the loaded round, as verified w/ the Sinclair runnout gage. Some, but not all, will straighten-out during firing,s), but not all: they can be thrown in the garbage can.  After years of using only high-quality brass, like Lapua and Norma, I recently picked up an old Sako Vixen,L46), this one in 222 Rem. Mag.  I'm now forced to use the Remington brass: what an awakening. When the barrel,original Bofors steel) is due for replacement, it will not be in 222 Rem Mag. Just some of my thoughts, coupled with some experiences.   :)
    Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Offline jonsidneyb

6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #2 on: 05:51 PM, 01/01/08 »
  • I do know the capacity is very low on this cartridge.

I know there are dies and reamers available for this 6/222 out there already. I was just curious on what kind of results this old wildcat gave.

The .25 copperhead .257/222 does not seem to be a bad little cartridge so I thought a 6mm version of it might be a nice little thing.

Offline oldroper

• Trade Count: (+1)
    6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #3 on: 01:22 PM, 01/04/08 »
  • Quote from: jonsidneyb
    I do know the capacity is very low on this cartridge.

I know there are dies and reamers available for this 6/222 out there already. I was just curious on what kind of results this old wildcat gave.

The .25 copperhead .257/222 does not seem to be a bad little cartridge so I thought a 6mm version of it might be a nice little thing.

Acording to The Handloaoders Manual Of Cartridge Conversion  the 6/222 has a water capacity in grs of 24.88gr  the 222 has 26.19 gr and the case is different from the 222 and 25/222.  Since you already know the case capacity of the 25/222 you know it's less than the 222 case and if you look at the velocity of the 6x45 and 6x47 you will be less that those case.  In a custom rifle I wouldn't expect any less groups if you compare it to a custom 6x45 or 6x47.  My first Br rifle was a 6x47AI.

Offline jonsidneyb

6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #4 on: 10:12 PM, 01/05/08 »
  • That is curious that the capacity would be smaller than both the .222 and the .25/.222.  Does anyone know why the capacity is smaller than those?

The capacity is not really an issue since if it was I would definately be looking at something else.

I guess I am looking at the small end of size and velocity scale rather than faster like most seem to be looking for.

Offline Cheechako

• Ace Member
    6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #5 on: 11:02 PM, 01/05/08 »
    That is curious that the capacity would be smaller than both the .222 and the .25/.222.  Does anyone know why the capacity is smaller than those?

jonsi

I would guess that the author measured the volumes differently, used different brands of brass for the cartridges or was, how do I put this, wrong.:rolleyes:  You can't neck a case from 224 to .243 and decrease the capacity.

The 6/222, aka 6 x 43, is a perfectly reasonable wildcat as long as the owner realizes it's limitations, and it appears that you are experienced enough to know what you're doing.  Even smaller 6mm cartridges, like the 6mm Super Jet exist, so you're not at the bottom of the ladder with the 6/222.

JMHO

Ray

Offline jonsidneyb

6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #6 on: 01:14 AM, 01/06/08 »
  • does this cartridge have a name other than these two 6/222, aka 6 x 43

Offline jb77

6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #7 on: 01:01 PM, 01/06/08 »
  • The Loss of capacity is due to a larger caliber bullet being seated into the case. If case capacity is measured with out a bullet being seated then of course the results will differ.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say.

Offline Cheechako

• Ace Member
    6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #8 on: 02:23 PM, 01/06/08 »
  • Quote from: jb77
    The Loss of capacity is due to a larger caliber bullet being seated into the case. If case capacity is measured with out a bullet being seated then of course the results will differ.

What????:confused:

Ray

Offline Cheechako

• Ace Member
    6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #9 on: 03:27 PM, 01/06/08 »
  • I'm not taking sides here so I did my own very unscientific test of capacity.

I used one case for all the measurements.

W-W SUPER 222 REM

Empty with fired primer in place = 95.9 Gr

Filled to top with H2O = 123.3 Gr

Weight of water = 27.4 Gr

Filled with H2O and bullet seated .235" deep = 176.1

Subtract bullet weight,54.7 gr) = water weight of 25.5 Gr

Neck case up to 243.

Empty with fired primer in place = 95.9 Gr

Filled to top with H20 = 124.2 Gr

Weight of water = 28.3 Gr

Filled with H20 and bullet seated .235" deep = 186.2 Gr

Subtract bullet weight,64.4 gr) = water weight of 25.9 Gr

So FWIW, by necking up to 243 we gained .9 Gr water capacity without a bullet and .5 Gr with a bullet seated.  

Ray

Offline jonsidneyb

6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #10 on: 12:14 AM, 01/07/08 »
  • hmmmm,

Then how is it that the .25/222 has more capacity as well?  If there is a capcity difference I would think the one with the most and the one with the least would be at the ends of the three cartridges.

.222 6/.222 257/.222

Offline oldroper

6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #11 on: 07:19 AM, 01/07/08 »
    That is curious that the capacity would be smaller than both the .222 and the .25/.222.  Does anyone know why the capacity is smaller than those?

The capacity is not really an issue since if it was I would definately be looking at something else.

I guess I am looking at the small end of size and velocity scale rather than faster like most seem to be looking for.

You need to read my post again.  Acording to The Handloaoders Manual Of Cartridge Conversion the 6/222 has a water capacity in grs of 24.88gr the 222 has 26.19 gr and the case is different from the 222 and 25/222.  If they just necked up the 222 to 6mm sure you would have more capacity.  

Don't get me wrong when I say this, I guess I should have explained what different means but I assume you figure out they changed case dimensions.  

Offline jb77

6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #12 on: 07:28 AM, 01/07/08 »
  • Ray how deeply are you seating the bullets into the case? I completely agree that if you only seat no deeper than the shoulder neck junction you will gain volume. It's when you seat the larger caliber bullet below the neck shoulder junction you lose volume as the larger caliber bullet is displacicg more area than the 223 cal. bullet.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say.

Offline jonsidneyb

6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #13 on: 07:56 AM, 01/07/08 »
  • It would have seemed simpler to just neck up the same as with the .25

Maybe someone knows what is different about this than the .25/222 besides the diameter.

Offline Cheechako

• Ace Member
    6mm-.222 remington
    « Reply #14 on: 11:57 AM, 01/07/08 »
  • You guys are making this a lot more complicated than it is.

I did not continue my experiment by necking that same case up to 25 caliber.  But if I had, there's no doubt in my mind that the capacity would have increased a little more.  Probably not as much as the difference between the 22 and 24, but an increase nevertheless.

My post tells you the amount that I seated the bullet.  It was the same in both examples.  It's obvious that had I seated the 24 caliber bullet deeper or the 22 caliber shallower, the results would have been different.  But I was comparing the H2O capacity difference between a 22 and a 24 case and to do that everything else had to stay the same.

It's obvious, also, that if i had used a different case for each caliber the results could have been completely different.  But that would not have been a valid comparison.  I suspect that the capacities shown in the book were different for that very reason, or because of different seating depths, or, as I said, the guy didn't know how to measure case capacity.

I didn't say this yet, but I will now.  I think that the difference between a 222, a 6x43, and 25/222, IN CASE CAPACITY, is so small as to be unimportant.  Things such as bullet weight, bullet seating depth, powder burning rate, barrel length, etc, etc will determine what will work and what won't.

JMHO

Ray

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.