Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Best Powder for 6mm-284?  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Forum Boss

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ace Member
Best Powder for 6mm-284?
« on: 09:26 PM, 11/22/04 »
  • Wildcat284
    Just in the load development for my 6mm/284. Built on a trued Remington 700 Short Action, with Hollards heavy competition recoil lug, Pac Nor Super Match 30 inch 3 groove 10 twist barrel and 8.5 - 25x 50 LRT Leupold.

Started load developent with 87gr V-Max's & H1000, and shooting 1/4 min groups, so I know that my rifle likes this particular bullet. Powder weight was 56.5 gr's, but velocity quite low. When I started loading up to 59 gr's, velocity was better, but accuracy suffered.

I know from other people with 6mm/284's that this powder is too slow, I have been advised to stick with H4831 and H4350. What other advice can you give.
    - - -
    lynn
    My 6/284 has a 8 twist barrel on it for the heavier bullets so i don't know how your gun will react but RE22 worked well in it.
    - - -
    Dubya
    I go along with "lynn". Reloader 22 works great in my 8 twist w/Sierra 107s. Start w/about 45.0 grains
    - - -
    Phil B
    I too have a 6mm-284 on a remington with 10 twist barrel. I tried about every powder I could think of and for my rifle the VERY BEST VV N560. Bar none! Any bullet weight performs best in this rifle with that powder. And boy is it fast! Try it, it might work that well for you too. Hope so.
    Phil B

Offline Taos

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #1 on: 12:47 PM, 11/24/04 »
  •  My lightweight rifle shoots very well with 85 grain solid bases and 51 grains 4350. Took a couple of bucks this fall with that load. Also had good luck with heavier bullets with RL-22 and 4831 sc.

Offline Longshot

• Basic Member
    Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #2 on: 03:34 PM, 02/24/05 »
  • I've heard a lot of folks sing the praises of RE-22, but I haven't used it since experiencing an unpleasant surprize with it about 2 years ago when Alliant put out 2 lots of the stuff that was WAY faster than it should have been, almost like RE-15. When I reported same to Alliant their response was, "Well yeah, but it's still within our specifications for that powder". That told me that their "specifications" were far too loose for any kind of competitive shooting.

Since then, I've used VV165 or 160 exclusively with excellent results. The groups mentioned in the 108 Euber thread over in the bullet & ballistics forum were shot with VV165. It has been very consistent lot to lot and produced the smallest velocity spreads,at least in my rifle) of any of the powders tried including H4831SC. As a side benefit 165 is about the coolest burning powder at that burn rate, which means better barrel life.

Regards,
    Bert

Offline Ernie (SEB USA)

• Trade Count: (+13)
      • SEB Rests
    Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #3 on: 12:00 PM, 04/04/05 »
  • Should be getting my 6-284 Rem XP-100,8 twist Broughton 5C) in a couple of weeks.  Intend to use the 115 DTAC bullets and the 105 /107 VLD's too.
    Any data with Hodgdon powders for the 115 grain?

Ernie
    Ernie
    "If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."

Offline Ironworker

• Trade Count: (+1)
    Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #4 on: 02:36 PM, 10/19/11 »
  • Wow this in an old post,I wonder if you've already burned up this bbl in your XP 100 ? What powder worked for you ?
    How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul

Offline CJ6

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Ace Member
    Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #5 on: 09:56 AM, 10/20/11 »
  • 12 Twists in mine with 87 Vmaxes, 88 Bergers. H 1000, VV N170, WXR, VV N165. Try some 95-100gr bullets or 105's with your 10 twist. The 105's stabilize in a freinds (10 twist aftermarket Krieger) 240WBY NICELEY.
    Roger T

Offline alf

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+63)
    • Ace Member
    Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #6 on: 09:57 AM, 10/20/11 »
  • IMR 7828

Offline Ironworker

Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #7 on: 12:45 AM, 10/21/11 »
  • My 10" twist wouldn't stabilize 95gr Berger VLDs. Any how that bbl is toast now.

Offline lpreddick

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+10)
    • Ace Member
    Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #8 on: 08:48 AM, 10/21/11 »
  • rel22, rel22, and rel 22!  my 8 tw kreiger put a 105 berger vld  thru the chest of a walking ghog at 532 yds!  i use a ballistic table for elevation and the bullet went where the leupold dot told it to go.  tried the others but you go with what floats your boat. [/quote] if i can see you, i can touch you. BANG!
    if i can see you, i can touch you. BANG!

Offline Ironworker

Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #9 on: 01:54 PM, 10/22/11 »
  • How long is your bbl and what was velocity ?

Offline P72

Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #10 on: 11:30 PM, 10/23/11 »
  • I understand that a world record 1000 yd bench rest was made with the 6mm-.284 with the 107 gr Si MK.

Any ideas of what powder was used to do this?

Not knowing, I would attempt using H1000 but I am not about to make up a 6mm-.284 to find out. Some say that round is "only margially better" than the smaller .243 Win/6mm Rem but how is it the .240 Weatherby is still out there?

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #11 on: 11:52 PM, 10/23/11 »
  • I understand that a world record 1000 yd bench rest was made with the 6mm-.284 with the 107 gr Si MK.

Any ideas of what powder was used to do this?

Not knowing, I would attempt using H1000 but I am not about to make up a 6mm-.284 to find out. Some say that round is "only margially better" than the smaller .243 Win/6mm Rem but how is it the .240 Weatherby is still out there?
    P72,
    RL-22 51.0 grains if it behind a 107 SMK, here read it for yourself,..Enjoy ;)
    Wayne.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek019.html
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline Catfish

Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #12 on: 10:53 AM, 10/24/11 »
  • I have a prair of 6-284`s and have found that the primer makes a great difference in accuracy. The Fed. 215 primers don`t work well at all. I get better accuracy with CCI BR 2 primers and even better with some 20 year old Win LR mag. primers. I have never run into a round that seemed to be so picky with primers. You may want to try some different primers.
    Catfish

Offline PALarson

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • High Power Competitor, XC and Long Range
    Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #13 on: 08:06 PM, 10/27/11 »
  • Ok, you are talking my talk!!! I built a 6-284 shot it in competition and got my clock cleaned over and over. I used a variety of powders. 4831SC, 7828, 4350 trying to keep the Berger 105 VLD,s around 3200.
    basically I gave up, went back to the trusted BR and a new kid in the cabinet a 6 XC.
    both of these shoot competively. After talking to a friend and whining about the 6 284 he said well you need those Berger's up to 3500 or so. I went back and experimented with powders RE22 got me up to 3300, but was much to hot, losing primers. RE19 got me up to 3400 but again to hot. 58gr RE25 got me up to 3525, with no extreme pressure problems. I backed it down to 56gr ended up around 3400. At that the gun will shoot all X's at 600. Haven't shot it yet at 1000, but believe it will come through fine.   
    Paul Larson Mid Range HM  Long Range HM

Offline johnmyers

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+39)
    Best Powder for 6mm-284?
    « Reply #14 on: 07:31 AM, 10/28/11 »
  • No one talks about Ramshot Magnum. It works very well in mine with heavy bullets in velocity and accuracy.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.