Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Most accurate reloading press??  (Read 1470 times)

Offline eightweight2

• Trade Count: (0)
Most accurate reloading press??
« on: 10:09 AM, 01/06/07 »
  • is a 7/8X14 press better or are the Arbor press and dies more accurate, I have only used the std Rock chucker and a Dillon progressive but want to get more accuracy from a 6BR
    Thanks in advance
    Bill

Offline Forum Boss

• Administrator
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 10:27 AM, 01/06/07 »
  • Although it's possible to full-length size cases with an arbor press,if it has enough power), for most of us, full-length sizing requires a rock-chucker or similar stiff, bench-mounted press with lots of leverage.

Where the Wilson-type inline dies shine is for neck-sizing and bullet seating. My 6BR Wilson Micrometer die is almost perfectly fitted to my sized cases and it has great "feel" for seating bullets. I find the base to ogive measurement of loaded rounds is more consistent with the hand dies. Also run-out is slightly less.

I also like the convenience of moving my loading tray to a different part of the bench and doing the bullet-seating task carefully and slowly from a seated position, watching the dial on my K&M,which has an optional bullet seating force gauge).

Bottom line--both kinds of dies can create excellent ammo. But most guys I know who seat bullets with Wilsons prefer them over screw-in dies.

Online BoydAllen

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+9)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 10:36 AM, 01/06/07 »
  • Most Benchrest,short range) shooters use a threaded die to size, and an arbor press type seater. The very best of the latter are custom reamed with the same reamer that the rifle was chambered with. Another advantage of the arbor press for seating is that differences in neck tension may more easily be detected by feel as bullets are seated, or one may buy a couple of brands of arbor presses that come with indicators that are designed to measure relative seating force. As far as threaded FL dies go, there are several options, including custom dies that are closely fit to the rifle's chamber. Of these Harrell's are the most popular. They require sending in fired brass, and cost about $75, an excellent value. Many times I have talked to shooters that want better accuracy, but they don't want to change much about what they are doing to get it. Generally it doesn't work that way.

Offline tightneck

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 09:21 PM, 01/06/07 »
    Many times I have talked to shooters that want better accuracy, but they don't want to change much about what they are doing to get it. Generally it doesn't work that way.

This is so very true. I belong to a club that has over 2000 members. Of the guys that use the rifle range, there are probably less than a hundred that come consistently. Most only come to sight in their deer rifle the weekend before the season starts. Of those "shooters", I'd guess that 90-95% don't even know what bushing dies and inline seaters are. I shoot quite a bit and reload at the range most of the time. Most of the shooters that pass by my set-up have no clue what they are looking at and ask lots of questions. I try to explain things as best I can but most of them end up with a bewildered look on their face and say stuff like "My RCBS or Lee dies are just great and I can't shoot that well anyway". After all, they have a 7mm Mag at home that shoots 3/8" groups all day long:rolleyes: You can only shoot as well as your'e equipment will allow. Not even Tony Boyer can win if his ammo aint straight. Both the Moderator and BoydAllen gave you good advice.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.