Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 80 grain Amax  (Read 2834 times)

Offline DelRan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
80 grain Amax
« on: 02:54 AM, 11/06/06 »
  • Hi guys,

I am new to shooting 224's. I would like to build a long range 224 for f-class up to 600m. I will be using a 30' 3 groove Lilja tube and would like to drive the 80gr Amax to about 3550 fps. Any advise will be appreciated.

Delville

Offline Preacher

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+104)
    • Ace Member
    80 grain Amax
    « Reply #1 on: 10:15 AM, 11/06/06 »
  • A 22/6mm Ackley will put you where you want to be with no problems other than barrel life....
    A 22/250 Ackley will get you close and a little better barrel life.......
    Age is a high price to pay for maturity.

Offline JER

80 grain Amax
    « Reply #2 on: 10:42 AM, 11/06/06 »
  • Barrel life being what?  1000 rounds?

Ya can't buy points.

Offline mysticplayer

• Site $$ Contributor
    80 grain Amax
    « Reply #3 on: 10:43 AM, 12/01/06 »
  • If your goal is to shoot F open, there are better choices with better barrel life.  You will always have to watch the wind.

Remember that having a rig capable of shooting a bullet that fast doesn't mean the bullet is going to like it.  I read an article on guys building super fast LR varminters and the 75gr Amax didn't like going much over 3300fps.

I can't see the 80gr AMax doing any better especially when the twist is increased.  If it will only tolerate 3200fps, ballistics at 600m can be improved using a 6mm or 6.5mm.

If you are set on the 22cal, consider shooting F T/R with the 223.  yes, the wind drift is substantially higher then options in F Open but everyone has the same issues.

This will likely be my next project rifle.

Jerry

Offline reedmosser

• Basic Member
    80 grain Amax
    « Reply #4 on: 06:49 PM, 12/03/06 »
  • I have been shooting the 80 grain a-max all summer at 3650 fps in my 22-243 ackley.  Ive shot them out to 1300 yards and have no problems with them at all.  They shoot good and kill even better.  For 600 yard comps though the 22-243 ackley. 22-6mm ackley, and 22-250 ackley are to much of a good thing.  I think the 22 dasher is ideal. It is a ackley improved 22 br.  It will shoot the 80's at 3300 fps no problem and is very accutate and not as hard on barrels.  It will match 22-250 ackley performance with better brass and less powder.  I shot my dasher at a 1000 yards last year with 100 grain wildcats and had zero problems.  IF you have any questions call m,e on my cell 724-366-1989 reed

Offline jadams

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    80 grain Amax
    « Reply #5 on: 12:04 AM, 12/04/06 »
  •    I also shoot a .22 Dasher with a early version of the 80 grn. A-Max bullet. The velocity I shoot at is 3330 fps. It has about 1400 rounds through it at this time. I lent it out last month to a friend to shoot the long range metallic varmint match and he won the match with it. That's out through 600 yards, in the wind that day )
    Earlier this year he shot it as a hv. gun in a bench rest match here in So. Ca. and did quite well with it. It has been known to shoot less than 2" groups at 600 yards with the A-Max.

I also have a .2247L that shoots the 80 grn. A-Max at 3550 fps. with no problem at all. My understanding is the new production 80 grn. A-Max will withstand velocities well over 3600 fps. in 1 in 8" twist  barrel. I know of two guys that shoot the new 80 grn. A-max at over 3600 fps. in 1000 yard matches with their .22x6mm Rem.'s
        John

Offline reedmosser

• Basic Member
    80 grain Amax
    « Reply #6 on: 08:30 AM, 12/05/06 »
  • Gunamonth your right about the dasher that was just the quick easy way to describe.  Thanks reed

Offline gunrunner

• Basic Member
    80 grain Amax
    « Reply #7 on: 12:52 PM, 01/10/07 »
  • .22-250ai will get you up there but not that far.I started with imr then switched to vv4350.35gr,80gr sierra or nosler,win brass,ccibr-2, 3012 average mv. I have went up to 3295mv but accuracy went south. that load shoots under 1/2in at 200yd.ruger 77mkII,28in shilen match,#7 in custom factory ruger laminate stock.1700rds and still shooting.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.