Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: savage replacement barrel question  (Read 6436 times)

Offline 4570sharpshooter

• Trade Count: (+2)
savage replacement barrel question
« on: 09:31 PM, 05/11/06 »
  •   I have a friend that has a savage in 22/250 which he plans on relacing with a 6mmbr barrel.  My question is which barrel manufacturer do most shooters have the best luck with...Pac-nor or Douglas for this type of switch ? Thanks in advance, 4570sharpshooter
    Keep yer eye on the Target son.....

Offline ReedG

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 09:44 PM, 05/11/06 »
  • I have had Shilen, Douglas and now Pac-Nor barrels on my Savage actions. Pac-Nor is the only one of them that makes "prefit" barrels that you can just screw on, headspace and shoot. Shilen and Douglas barrels you have to have chambered and threaded by a gunsmith. My new Pac-Nor is a thing of beauty and I have no qualms about giving them a hearty recommendation.
    Reed Garfield

Offline NorCalMikie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+18)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 10:55 PM, 05/11/06 »
  • Reed. The barrel that I got for my Savage, direct from Shilen was in fact a "spin on",set the headspace and go shooting! Smooth as silk!
    No "smith" needed.
    Lots of others out there but my choice was Shilen! ;)Mike.
    OZ never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Offline chuckw2

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 03:01 AM, 05/12/06 »
  • Thumbs up for Pac-Nor.. Just ordered my third one from them last week.

Chuck

Offline memilanuk

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 09:05 AM, 05/12/06 »
  • ReedG,

The default barrels from Sharp Shooter Supply are Douglass and are pre-threaded and chambered and ready to spin on.

Monte

Offline chino69

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 12:14 PM, 05/12/06 »
  • I have two Douglas's from Sharp Shooter Supply and three from Pac-Nor.  All are pre-fit for the Savage action.  Not that the Douglas's are slouches, by any means, but I think Pac-Nor's internal smoothness is superior.  Pac Nor laps their barrels, whereas Douglas does not.  

Offline Rustystud

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 03:46 PM, 05/21/06 »
  • Prefit Savage barrels:

Some of the prefit barrels made for Savages are turned, threaded and chambered in different set ups. This methodolgy tends to increase the odds in getting a barrels that is not co-axially and concentrically aligned with the bolt race. Some of the pre fit barrels are threaded on geometric/mechanical threading heads and not single point tooled. This is not much better than running a tap up on the barrel shank. For what you gain in cost savings you will loose in accuracy in the big picture. This is just my opinion. But you don't see these prefit barrels on any of the top shooters rifles nor do you see them on custom high end hunting Rifles.
    Rustystud

Offline ReedG

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 05:37 PM, 05/21/06 »
  • Good point, Nat. I do not know what method Pac-Nor uses to cut the threads but the preliminary fireforming loads looked very promising. Will have a full report when it comes back from the "stocker".

Mind you, I'm not putting down 'smiths, but the barrel nut to adjust headspace is one of the selling points for Savage actions to me. And being able to order chambered and threaded barrels greatly cuts down on time and expense.

Also, I've had a Douglas barrel and I think you have as good a chance to get a "good one" from them as from any of the others. One of the trends in "point-blank benchrest" now is guys who are buying barrels by the dozen to get a "hummer".

The costs involved with being a competitive br shooter are fast going out of sight. It is becoming a game only for those who can afford to play it. The cost of a new rifle,$2500+), scope,$1000+), front rest,$900+), reloading equipment,nearly $1000), etc. are making it very difficult to attract new shooters.

A Savage Model 12 action,$350) trued and timed,$150) with a Pac-Nor select match barrel,$350), Rifle Basix trigger,$125), Weaver T-36,$350) and McMillan stock,$325) make it possible for a new or "income-deficient" shooter to be competitive. One of these bargain-basement rigs will win a match with a shooter who can play the game. Long live the Savage action!

P.S. Of course, then I think what a new snowmobile or motorcycles costs and a new rifle doesn't look so bad!
    Reed Garfield

Offline Gollum

« Reply #8 on: 08:42 PM, 05/21/06 »
    Some of the prefit barrels made for Savages are turned, threaded and chambered in different set ups.

In your experience, who does the best job of threading Savage pre-fits squarely and consistently?

I have a Pac-Nor in 22-250, and 2 Douglas XX in 30BR and 300RUM via Sharp Shooter Supply, they all shoot pretty well.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #9 on: 08:18 PM, 07/18/06 »
  • Currently have over 75 barrels for Savage.

Includes Savage factory bought new, Savage factory take-offs, MidwayUSA A&B, SSS gunsmithed Douglas, Pac-Nor, Shilen, E R Shaw, etc.

Calibers range from 14/221 Walker to 458 Lott.

Haven't had one that I would send back saying I was unhappy.

Hammer

Offline chino69

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #10 on: 05:54 AM, 07/26/06 »
  • ReedG,
    It is for the reasons you mentioned that I ended up going with a Savage.  With the Savage, I have switch barrel capability with good quality pre-fit barrels at a fraction of the cost of the benchrest spread.  I shoot varmints and non-competition bench for accuracy and the Savage fits my wants exactly.  I don't know of a better deal out there.
    Regards,
    Chino69

Offline Hammer

« Reply #11 on: 07:56 AM, 08/06/06 »
  • Quote from: Rustystud
    Prefit Savage barrels:

... But you don't see these prefit barrels on any of the top shooters rifles nor do you see them on custom high end hunting Rifles.
    Rustystud

Can't comment on competition rifles.

Have discussed with Pac-Nor and others about whether need to send my action to them to be custom fit versus them sending a prefit Savage barrel.  They have all said the prefit would work just fine.  

May not be properly qualified to judge custom high end hunting rifles, but think have seen some pretty nice rifles with prefit barrels.  And have had good accuracy and reliability performance with many.

Pac-Nor has made Savage-type barrel nuts for my Remington and Weatherby rifles too.  Having barrel nuts made for my Montana actions.

John Dustin has made similar rifles for me on Sako actions. His barrels are custom fit.  Once one barrel is fit, Dustin can make additional barrels without sending him the action. Dustin's rifles can have the barrels switched in the field in a couple of minutes.

Haven't found any problems with the system yet.

Your experience with prefit barrels may vary.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #12 on: 10:01 AM, 08/06/06 »
  • Doesn't address specifically the issue of prefit barrels, but barrel nut rifle accuracy.

Recently I had the opportunity to play with a switch-barrel rifle made by gunsmith John Dustin,Dept. GA, 550 Pine River Ranch Cir., Bayfield, CO 81112; 970/884-0393). Most switch-barrels I have seen use some sort of interrupted thread, full threads or a barrel extension; they feature a a split fore-end so that the barrel goes into a known index and then locks into place. Dustin's concept is a little different. The barrel is locked into place with a knurled ring, tightened with a wrench, and then the headspace is checked with Go/No Go headspace gauges. It takes a little more time, but the system is extremely sure and accuracy was very consistent.

-- Craig Boddington

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.